Sponsored By:

HELP! Shell gas station screwed me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just read this article.

http://sportscarforums.com/f13/tolue...oice-3257.html

Last edited by 1NEETO; 03-09-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
funny he did buy from shell.. but if you read what he wrote is he hit 91 and it gave him 87...

Originally Posted by colburs
FYI,

Top Tier Gasoline

Buy from one of these stores and you're all set.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if all these claims are corect. But one time in band camp there was this G37 that had 87 octane gas in his car, and guess what happened????????????????
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are just fine with putting 87. Matter of fact you can keep putting 87 in your car if you want all the gas does is set a level or pre-detonation.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
alexdee

you should still confront shell about it getting 87 gas when you paid for 91 is unacceptable imo
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
bluesun

You can not be serious

Originally Posted by JuicyG37
Th grade of shell regular was almost the same grade as mobile premium this is because Shell and and chevron used oil based gasoline while am/pm, mobile, 76 etc use water based gasoline. This is why shell and chevron regular gasoline is almost as good as mobile premium. I over exaggerated when i said its exactly the same thing but they are almost close. This is why shell and chevron is the most expensive gasolines and am/pm and mobile is cheaper. Am/Pm and other comapnies use water based gasoline which means more water then gasoline. the reason why the gasoline still does the job is because the additives put into the gasoline. That why never fill up there not even premuim same with mobile and maybe 76 im not really sure about 76 though. people filling up am/pm mobile etc are asking for car problems fast. U get what you pay for. My opinion people can never go wrong with shell v power or chevron techron both the best gasolines quality wise on the market guaranteed. This is the secret gas companies keep from you. Also it all depends on the additives put into the gasoline to help the engine. Shell and chevron premium fuel was rated number one on that. Shell has nitrogen in all fuel grades also which cleans the engine while running!
What is water based gasoline? You have to be kidding. Gasoline and water do not mix. Period. In a gas station holding tank the water will all settle to the bottom, just like on the ocean when oil floats on top.

Every town has only a few fuel depots. Refineries send product down the pipe and trucks pull up and fill up. There is no differentiation in brand because they are not going to have a holding tank for every single refiner. For name brand gas, the driver will take a pouch of additive (think Kool Aid pouch) and add that to his 8,000 gallon tank. Everyone who thinks they can feel a difference are probably getting the federally mandated smog blend which lowers mileage. Pretty much what ethanol does too.

As to the original question, octane is the resistance to ignition under pressure. The higher the compression engine, the more power it makes. However, if you compress the air/fuel mixture too much (with low octane) it will pre-ignite at the wrong point of the stroke. In old engines you could actually hear the ping from your engine. The only time you will use the highest compression though is when you are flooring it and the engine is at very high rpm. If you do this a long time, it could cause damage. Even in newer engines that try to stop it, it has to hear it before it can do anything. Although some engines apparently can tell what type of gas you have and adjust before the actual ping.

So depending on how much safety margin your engine has in it, the low octane fuel could be fine at all times, or periods where your not giving it a lot of gas. So no big deal, just add premium when you can.

No however if you really screw up and add diesel, do not start the car. Have it towed and the tank drained.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
The Jewbag

This could be the dumbest thread I've ever seen on this forum. Just sayin'
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
HELP! Shell gas station screwed me!-2yenf.jpg
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
^^^ lmao
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We all are getting screwed by gas stations.. gas is too expensive!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
bocaytomas

free gas on loaner!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Breitling65

Add 93 and you will get 91. Personally never use anything below 93 on my G.

Originally Posted by y3chen86
Last night, I was getting gas at a Shell gas station. I hit the 91 octane button... but the gas machine started dispensing 87! I didn't notice this until after about 10 gallons were put in the car. I had the gas attendant check and he did confirm that the gas machine was malfunctioning (I wasn't being an idiot).

So the car has a half tank of 87 octane... what should I do? I called the stealership and they said to just drive the car and fill up with 91 from here on out. Should I get an octane additive? Will there be any long term damage?

I'm meeting with the Shell store manager tomorrow and bring the situation to light and hope to put Shell responsible for any possible damage that may occur from this.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by JuicyG37
Th grade of shell regular was almost the same grade as mobile premium !

Some garbage info above, sorry
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
And I only use 87 when given a loaner from the dealer.
How many people actually use 91 to top off a loaner??

I am actually using gas they provided who cares what is this, it is Infiniti car
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by antirice
There's absolutely no need to panic. I used to put only 87 when I leased my two G35s. Drives the same and got the same MPG.

That is called cheapo leasing S car with 87 gas No it is not same and drives not same. MPG might be same if you are in heavy stop/go traffic only.

Quick Reply: HELP! Shell gas station screwed me!