MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   private property car accident (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/217699-private-property-car-accident.html)

g37cam 02-12-2011 04:34 AM

private property car accident

This sucks... I was leaving a restaurant earlier and some lady hits me while she was backing out of her parking space. I called the police and they told me it was her fault but they couldn't give her a ticket because it was private property... What sucks it that I just bought my car 3 weeks ago. So I have a few questions...

I did not get her insurance information. Will her insurance information be on the police report?

Also, will her insurance pay for my damage?

Thanks guys!

mikelr 02-12-2011 06:32 AM

ALWAYS GET THE OTHER DRIVERS INSURANCE INFO!! If a report was made (I'm sure there was if they resonded) it will have her name and address, you will have to go down to the police department and request a copy then contact the other driver for their insurance info. Good luck!

roots4x 02-12-2011 06:38 AM

Doesn't matter if she got a ticket or not. As long as there is a police report with the facts, you're fine. Her insurance should pay all damages.

g37cam 02-12-2011 09:55 AM

I already made the claim with my insurance. Now they are just waiting for the police report so they can talk with the other persons insurance.

1cleanG 02-12-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by g37cam (Post 3060151)
This sucks... I was leaving a restaurant earlier and some lady hits me while she was backing out of her parking space. I called the police and they told me it was her fault but they couldn't give her a ticket because it was private property... What sucks it that I just bought my car 3 weeks ago. So I have a few questions...

I did not get her insurance information. Will her insurance information be on the police report?

Thanks guys!

are you serious bro? Why would you NOT get her insurance information? Its illegal not to have it in the car so why not get it? man you might be screwed. What if she falsified her information? You'd have absolutely nothing on her.

With an accident, a LOT of insurance agents will also not accept a claim unless its from their actual client, so the lady that hit you would have to submitt the claim to her own insurance agent(this part is DUMB, but true).

As for the "police report"...it won't magically show up on there. All a police report shows is a drivers information such as DL and registration.

Claims are 100% through insurance agents...and if they can't come to a settlement it will go juditiary.

movinon 02-12-2011 10:43 AM

Years ago, when I lived in Seattle, a women ran into my brand new 2 day old car when she came speeding into a store parking lot.
There was a cop car with 2 cops in it at the front of the lot. Thinking that was a bit of luck I went over to get them but they told me it was private property, so they wouldn't even come over to write a report.
Your lucky you at least got a police report.

Romulus1 02-12-2011 11:37 AM

i dont know where you live but regardless of weather its private property or not, the other driver still damaged YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY. In NY it doesnt matter where an accident happens, only thing that dictates is which police agency responds. As far as a ticket goes, who cares, just get the police report and the insurance info asap and let your insurance start talking to hers to get that fixed fast! Good Luck!

G37xs21 02-12-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by g37cam (Post 3060151)

Thanks guys!

Depending on the police department,if it happens on private property there will not be a report. She doesnt have to get a ticket to be at fault if there is a report. If there is a report, the at fault will b explained and whether or not she gets a a warning or a ticket it doesnt make a difference.

g37cam 02-12-2011 11:48 AM

State is Georgia. Cobb County to be exact. I just hope her insurance info will be on the police report... If it is not, then I will hire a private investigator or go to the DMV or something. But it should be on there.

G37xs21 02-12-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by g37cam (Post 3060263)
State is Georgia. Cobb County to be exact. I just hope her insurance info will be on the police report... If it is not, then I will hire a private investigator or go to the DMV or something. But it should be on there.

Did u get a case number? Sometimes if there is no report cuz its on private property, there is a form the officer can fill out with both drivers info,including the insurance info. Then each driver is given a copy for insurance purposes.

JackM829 02-12-2011 12:42 PM

Also, her insurance might call you to get your side of the story - DO NOT talk to her insurance company.

Simply say "please refer all questions to my insurance company"

g37cam 02-12-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by G37xs21 (Post 3060264)
Did u get a case number? Sometimes if there is no report cuz its on private property, there is a form the officer can fill out with both drivers info,including the insurance info. Then each driver is given a copy for insurance purposes.

Yes, I do have a case number. I will be going to the police department on Monday to pick a copy of that up because my insurance adjuster will be calling me Monday.

Should I go to a few Infiniti dealerships and get estimates or wait until my insurance tells me what to do?

Art Vandaley 02-12-2011 07:56 PM

you parked... she moving.. she hits you parked.. she pays for everything...

DashKid 02-13-2011 03:02 AM

WOW. NUMBER 1 THING GET THE OTHER PERSON INSURANCE INFO. Number 2) Thing get it in writing. If She is a fault have her write a written statement saying she is at fault. Matter of fact have her text your phone saying I am at fault for this car accident.

If you don't get her insurance info and a written statement. This can give you a big headache later down the road.

movinon 02-13-2011 09:16 AM

It is a good idea to keep a camera in your car, or use your cell phone, to take several pictures of the complete accident scene, including their license tag. It is fairly common for the person at fault to admit and apologize at the scene, but shortly after that their stories change and they try and blame it on the victim.