Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Throttle Lag

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:12 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dont laugh, I tried a "reset" trick I learned from different make forum. It seems that the software in the transmission "learns" your driving habits and programs the transmission accordingly.

With the car parked, transmission in park, turn on the ignition, do not start the car. Floor the gas pedal for about 60 seconds. This "may" erase the TCU learning how you drive. Maybe it was my imagination, but the car seemed to respond differently. The only problem here is that I immediately began driving in stop and go traffic and the transmission "relearned" my bad habits. Maybe I'll try it for 2 minutes next time and get right on the highway....OK now laugh.

I'll look for the source to prove I am not nuts.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 AM
chairman25

Here is the thread, my procedure was incorrect, but I am not nuts and we are not alone. Read the whole thread, it worked for some and not for others.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 AM
dopetime

maybe it worked for some and not others cause it was their imagination? lol jk i'll try it when i get the chance.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:54 PM
G Force

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"Drive it like you stole it" is nonsense. How are we supposed to drive the **** out of it in rush hour traffic? Are we never to drive it in rush hour traffic after we drive the **** out of it because it will re-learn? The car adapts to the *current* driving condition using its sensors. It *shouldn't* adjust itself to past conditions. That would make no sense.

Here's what I posted on a thread in the sedan section. See if you agree and maybe we can add it to a "repeatable" and "confirmed" list to send to Infiniti:

Try this: cruise at 40 MPH and floor the throttle. On my car the lag is significant. I think the problem is two-fold.

First, the tranny is trying to rev match and wasting a bunch of time doing it. This is fine when you have time - e.g. slowing for a corner - but when you need a hard downshift right away to merge the lag creates a dangerous situation. You expect power and there's...nothing. Best workaround is to manually downshift beforehand. Nissan should make it so that when you floor it, the rev match is bypassed and it just shoves it into gear and goes - smooth shifting be damned. Even a traditional automatic is faster in this scenario.

Second, the tranny is in too high a gear for most driving situations. Situations that normally wouldn't need a downshift at all are then needing 1 or 2 gears lower. I find that I have to drive in manual mode in rush hour traffic because the car will shift into 6th at ridiculously slow speeds and is doing a constant shifting dance whereas keeping it in 2nd and 3rd works best for crawl to 40 MPH. Having to manually shift in rush hour traffic defeats the whole purpose of having an automatic in the first place - especially a 7-speed auto that is seemingly never in it's powerband.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
voltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I just always drive it like I stole it.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 AM
NYCMaxima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the chance to test drive a 2008 G37S 5AT a few days ago, I must say, at highway speeds the lag is significant, I was kind of dissapointed with the performance.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 AM
Natour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for bringing this up again. I got a 2011 g37s Coupe 7AT and i have a K&N intake installed and i do have this lag especially on the freeway. I just wanted to see if its a problem with the intake being installed or even for stock cars?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:49 AM
Temptones1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Superxer0
Hello everyone! I recently bought a 2008 intiniti g37s. So far i am pleased with the car but i just can't get over the throttle lag. I wanted to ask the forum before I took it to my shop, but I was wondering if the throttle lag could be tuned out? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
I cleaned the Throttle Bodies as per You Tube instructions. I am NOT a mechanic but It was not difficult if you take your time. Buy Throttle Body Cleaner Spray ..Get a good soft cloth. Take your time. I'd bet that fixes your problem..I know it did it for me.AND Use Premium Gas...Sunoco 93 for me.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Hate to bring this up but this was the closest I could get to the 5AT issues and not the 7AT. Are they the same? Is a tune or grounding kit REALLY a fix or just the "sugar pill" effect? It's really annoying and obvious and frankly, almost dangerous. I cant pull out on the highway in traffic if I cant trust the car..
Old 05-11-2016, 05:02 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just contacted my local Infiniti dealer about having the ECU updated and they want $135 JUST to diagnose the car to see if it needs the update. Then they want another $160 if it in fact needs the update. So a total of $295 if I want to update my ECU. My car, being a 2008 is out of warranty, but come on... this should be free.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
As I stated just above you I Too have the same issue but it seems like it could be many things. Some say clean the throttle bodies, some say an update for the trans and others say its the gas? Who knows man, I would just start with the throttle bodies and getting better gas.
The following users liked this post:
mrittman (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mrittman
I just contacted my local Infiniti dealer about having the ECU updated and they want $135 JUST to diagnose the car to see if it needs the update. Then they want another $160 if it in fact needs the update. So a total of $295 if I want to update my ECU. My car, being a 2008 is out of warranty, but come on... this should be free.
That's ridiculous they can look it up on they're computer by the vin. I just told them about it at another check up but I was under warranty and it was free. They shouldn't charge you a diagnosing fee just because it's dumb
Old 05-11-2016, 07:52 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
That's ridiculous they can look it up on they're computer by the vin. I just told them about it at another check up but I was under warranty and it was free. They shouldn't charge you a diagnosing fee just because it's dumb
No frickin kidding. It's gonna take what... 5 minutes for them to plug their computer into the port and check the version?? Out of warranty or not, seems ridiculous to even charge for something like this, if it is in fact an ECU thing, since it's their error anyway...
Old 05-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mrittman
No frickin kidding. It's gonna take what... 5 minutes for them to plug their computer into the port and check the version?? Out of warranty or not, seems ridiculous to even charge for something like this, if it is in fact an ECU thing, since it's their error anyway...
Yes I agree that's why there known as the stealership always coming up with dumb excuses
Old 05-11-2016, 07:59 PM
mrittman
Registered Member

Stealership lol... Couldn't be further from the truth.

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag