Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Should I Install the UR Stock Size Light Weight CRANK Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Viper62382

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should I Install the UR Stock Size Light Weight CRANK Pulley?

I am torn. I have ran pulleys in the past on other cars and made good power, but I am confused now that people are telling me that the VQ motors have balancing issues. Is it worth the gain to install this pulley I purchased, or should I stay away? I have an 08 G37S and wanted to know what to do for sure.

I am sure this has been debated before, but want a more up to date answer to this as I am sure someone who has the pulley has put some mileage on it by now. Thank you in advance!

PS: I was told by a performance shop that as is, this motor will be able to run 7k rpm all day long and be fine, but with the UR crank pulley, you can kiss that expectation goodbye. So this is what really threw me off!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Did those who tell you have supporting proof, or just spreading the rumors they heard from other friends?

Here's my review: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...nk-pulley.html
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have it as well. It is a little more responsive and like Sam says it revs a little faster.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Viper62382

So both of you have it installed for a while without any issues correct?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are our engines internally balanced?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by bingpwr
Are our engines internally balanced?
All engines are balanced to some degree. But if you're asking if our engines are balanced like a "balanced and blueprinted" hand-built engine, then the answer is no.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
MSCA
Banned

BTW, at the risk of offending those who have already installed this lightweight crank pulley, I'd highly recommend against it. The factory pulley serves as a dampener and eliminating this dampner can have some negative effects over the long haul. I doubt there would be any obvious problems early on, but over time the lack of a crankshaft dampener can cause very serious engine problems. Knowing this, I don't think the benefit even comes close to outweighing the risks.

If you don't know about crankshaft dampeners, you should read up on them and fully understand their purpose before you go removing yours.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I purchased a UR crank pulley. Then after making the purchase I did a bit of research about them. And I also consulted with people who know more than me about the subject to get educated. I talked to the only 2 shops that I'll let work on my car. Both strongly recommended against them because of potential long term issues. They have experience with them. One absolutely wouldn't install it on my car. The other shop would do it but wouldn't be responsible for any problems it caused nor would they fix them even at my own expense.

I sold it.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I purchased a UR crank pulley. Then after making the purchase I did a bit of research about them. And I also consulted with people who know more than me about the subject to get educated. I talked to the only 2 shops that I'll let work on my car. Both strongly recommended against them because of potential long term issues. They have experience with them. One absolutely wouldn't install it on my car. The other shop would do it but wouldn't be responsible for any problems it caused nor would they fix them even at my own expense.

I sold it.
Good choice. I read the "other" thread and responded in a way that I hope explains why it's never a good idea to remove the crankshaft dampener. It seems that there are a few members here who don't have a good understanding of what a dampener is and what it does.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
That's why I stayed away from them too. Simply put, it's not worth it!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
That's why I stayed away from them too. Simply put, it's not worth it!

Even if you put aside any possible chance of damaging the engine, I still don't think it would be worth it from a monetary standpoint. The gains you'll get are pretty minimal. Maybe the engine will rev up a hair faster....maybe you'll actually gain a HP or two due to less mass in the crank pulley. But the cost of the pulley itself wouldn't make it worth they money spent. In other words, not a lot of "bang for your buck" no matter how I look at it. The fact that it can be damaging just cements my opinion on avoiding it entirely.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:34 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Originally Posted by Viper62382
So both of you have it installed for a while without any issues correct?
So far no issues with mine.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Viper62382

Only thing that worries me now is the fact that the stock has the rubber insert for vibrations. It really comes down to whether the gains are worth the risk.....
Old 03-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Hate to bump this since its a topic that's been up and down almost every forum of every car... I got the UR crank and alternator pulleys and am conflicted. Some say they are 100% worth it and make an obvious difference, others say it'll cause crank walk lol.. Are there any FACTS or PROVEN situations with the VQ motor after the install? Most of you are going to comment with opinions but I urge you to NOT if you are just passing along hear-say or bought it and sold them without installing etc etc. If you just pass on what you've heard then you're part of the problem and not helping anyone :/
Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty

I sold it.
Exactly. Most legit engine builders require you to provide the exact balancer / crank pulley you'll be using on that engine. For the little gains you get there's no way I'd be running one on a car I planned on driving / keeping for a while.

Quick Reply: Should I Install the UR Stock Size Light Weight CRANK Pulley?