Sponsored By:

Fastest G37S coupe N/A trap speed? 1/4 mi

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:39 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Gotcha. My original point was that bolt-ons were not going to get you to trap 110 mph in this car (excluding nitrous which I personally would NEVER use). Not without serious weight reduction.....
Keep in mind that a turbo kit or blower is considered a bolt-on and can offer quite a power boost without going into the engine itself. There are guys that run 105 mph stock, so another 5 MPH is certainly attainable in that case. I think a car with a handful of basic bolt-ons and properly tuned (big factor there) could probably hit 110 mph. It doesn't seem like many G37 guys actually custom-tune their cars though. I guess that shouldn't surprise me because the G37 isn't exactly a 1/4 mile race car.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Joe 'Cyclone' E

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hardly ever post on this forum, but I swear there seems to be such a strong opinion that these cars don't make power without F.I. Everyone claims that the car doesn't respond well to bolt ons and when I just discovered this thread, I have now been pushed over the top.

Let me put down a few simple facts.
As stated in this thread we have a 13.94 @ 102.
Someone also claimed an unknown 1/4 mile and a 105 mph trap speed.
I have read multiple other accounts of stock times around 13.7 and 13.8 around 101-104 mph. (I'm not going to site these references due to time, but I think with a quick search you can find similar information.)

Now let's talk dyno numbers:
It seems the average stock numbers are around 280-290 whp at the peak part of the power band.
Many guys with bolt ons such as CAI, HFC or Test Pipes, and Exhaust are doing 320-330ish.
Now obviously as 1/4 mile times vary depending on altitude and weather conditions, so do dyno numbers. Some tuners also print our graphs of SAE corrected numbers and others don't, therefore there are huge discrepancies in some peoples dyno results.
Let's also talk about tuning. Depending on your mods, weather/altitude, dyno, wideband O2, and the person who is actually tuning the car, you can get extremely different results from a tune.
Finally, there are mods which may or may not be reflected on a dyno, but they will affect 1/4 mile times and trap speeds.
Many mods that people forget about are wheels size and weight, brake weight (unsprung), type compound/tread pattern, suspension, gearing, drive shafts, flywheels, clutches, ect.
Now anyone that knows a single thing about racing could tell you that even if you did ZERO breathing mods (the common I/H/E set up) that just from rotational weight savings (unsprung) and sprung weight savings (weight reduction from spare tires, interior, changing body parts to CF, ect, that you can improve best possible factory track times. In addition to weight savings from sprung and unsprung mass, gearing can make a huge difference.
You could have identical cars with the exception of gearing and have multiple tenths of a second in race results in the 1320.
Given all the information I just mentioned above, there is absolutely no reason why I don't believe that a full bolt on G37 that is properly modded and tuned should not be able to easily run low 13's or even high 12's with trap speeds near or above 110 mph.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Well said Joe, is this something you're going to try? If so I'm rooting for you, keep us posted.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:55 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe 'Cyclone' E
[SNIP] ...Given all the information I just mentioned above, there is absolutely no reason why I don't believe that a full bolt on G37 that is properly modded and tuned should not be able to easily run low 13's or even high 12's with trap speeds near or above 110 mph.
I totally agree with this whole post. What do Z's run? Mid 13's and ~105-108 mph? It's a good reference, as those cars have the same drivetrain, but weigh ~600lbs lighter. But yes, this car is geared to be a GT car- it's a long legged cruiser. Gears will help this car A LOT. So would tires. These cars seem to have a hard time hooking up. It's only 330hp (crank), and the most effective way to launch it is to leave at 1,500rpm!

My assessment is that limited drive traction and long gearing conspire to make this car feel quite a bit slower than the 330hp number might suggest. It's sort of the opposite of an AWD car like an STi. AWD cars launch HARD, and peter out above 80-90. So they end up showing hero numbers as they are measured by magazine tests. So there are two points here - 1) bench racing never really gets anyone anywhere; 2) These cars aren't exactly made for 1/4 mile, so it ends up with an audience of owners who don't really care about that. Consequently, we don't see a lot of people with fully worked heads, or completely built internals on their G's. To see the potential of this motor and drivetrain, look at the Z community. They are more likely to chase horsepower.

But I'm still keeping an eye out for big builds over here. I love this car, and I think there's A LOT that can be extracted from it... AND retain a full, first class interior, sound deadening, etc.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Darkstar752

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Vid of a G37 doing 13.09, bone stock on stock tires:

The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (12-01-2014)