Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How many G37 clutches have gone bad with low mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 AM
davepj32274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my clutch replaced at 15K!!! F-N Ridiculous...

Have a 2008 G37s, and after about 15K miles/car only 1-1/2 yrs old, the clutch seemed to be giving way, and not catching. Brought it in the service and they told me I burnt my clutch..$2400 is ridiculous, and yet I had no choice but to pay. Infiniti refused to say it was faulty. Told me it was my driving...blahaha.. I complained to everyone in a professional manner and got NOwhere..and Ive had a BMW that was a lemon, and got bmw to give me a new car, so I went thru the right channels. Infiniti just refused to except that the issue was their problem.
I am a normal driver here with 18 years of stick shift experience and knowledge.

I had 1 INFINITI Mechanic and 2 independent mechanics say the clutch/flywheel was defective, with unusual wear and crevices/grooves in the flywheel...but Infiniti said they didnt have any other people complaining, so they called it an 'isolated' incident, meaning 'my fault'.

18 years of driving stick shift cars (90 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo-75Kmiles, BMW 328ci 65K miles, BMW M3-50K miles G35s Sedan-35K miles) and never had any issues with a clutch...or needed a clutch replacement...Ever! Yet 15K miles into a 2008 G37s, the clutch wears and its $2400...ridiculous..

"Good" (not really) to know I'm not alone.. Sorry for the clutch issues.. sucks, i know.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 AM
jwick

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
About 4 or 5 hours labor depending on the shop.
The dealer told me the clutch replacement was about $1200.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jwick
The dealer told me the clutch replacement was about $1200.
That must be parts and labor.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 AM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I have less than 30k miles on my car and my clutch slips for random periods of time. Most of the time it will wont slip all the way to redline, but there were a couple of times where i couldn't even get onto the freeway or switch lanes without it slipping. Its only happened about three or four times and it goes back to normal.

I took it to the dealer and they told me it was $1000 to tear it down to see if it was defective from the factory. If it is I get the $1000 back and it gets fixed for free. If it is my fault then it is $2400 and the $1000 would go towards that.

I guess im driving it till i cant drive it anymore
Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 AM
davepj32274

Yeah, told me the same thing.. $1000 and if defective, they'd give it back. But I will tell you this, there isnt one person that i know of, and for sure of this board, where Infiniti says the clutch was defective clutch..they say 'normal wear n tear'...even thou we all know its 'Not Normal' wear n tear, and nothing normal about having a blown clutch after 15-20K miles.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Punator

The dealer replaced mine under warranty. There is an Infiniti bulletin out for the slave cylinder issue.
Link please.

OK I may sound like a nut here and I kept telling the guy at the dealer to at least have an explanation. So apparently he was right the car was "driven" off the truck, which got me to say WTF! He said as soon as they received the car there was nothing wrong with it. Went to pick it up yesterday afternoon and they were right, hard to argue because the car seemed normal again. I asked the rep if he can at least come up with a theory, he said no. My girl was with me when it happened and the guy that towed it saw it too. I have no idea what just happened I just hope that it doesn't happen again. I'll let you guys know if it does. I'm going on a long trip this weekend so it'll be the perfect time to test the car . In the mean time can any of you guys come up with theories as why this occurred?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Frankyg37s

I had the slave cylinder replaced on mine a few weeks back but my symptoms were nothing like what you are describing. My clutch pedal would stick to the floor board almost like the line had an air bubble in it. Then after about a second it would release. The clutch itself was still strong because once in gear and with the pedal released it drove just fine.

The dealer replaced mine under warranty. There is an Infiniti bulletin out for the slave cylinder issue.

Good luck, there is no reason to have a clutch go bad that early unless you are just not a good manual driver.
thanks thats the exact problem i have.. appointmen is tomorrow
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
thebaran06

Originally Posted by Punator
Link please.

OK I may sound like a nut here and I kept telling the guy at the dealer to at least have an explanation. So apparently he was right the car was "driven" off the truck, which got me to say WTF! He said as soon as they received the car there was nothing wrong with it. Went to pick it up yesterday afternoon and they were right, hard to argue because the car seemed normal again. I asked the rep if he can at least come up with a theory, he said no. My girl was with me when it happened and the guy that towed it saw it too. I have no idea what just happened I just hope that it doesn't happen again. I'll let you guys know if it does. I'm going on a long trip this weekend so it'll be the perfect time to test the car . In the mean time can any of you guys come up with theories as why this occurred?
i don't really want to call you an idiot or anything, but I use to work for a Nissan dealer. Now I work with computers and people are always complaining about stuff not working right. They call me up or bring it in and the second I touch it the "problem" they were stating, just magically went away.

Its not magic or a fluke man, you were just doing something retarded and thought it was a major problem. Maybe somehow the cable under the pedal came loose and they fixed it under warranty and just wanted to treat you like you were stupid and not tell you about it? I would probably do something like that.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 PM
AUC2MIC

My clutch is starting to slip every now and then at 40k miles
Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 AM
jwick

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Punator
Link please.
I don't have a link to the bulletin. When I brought the G in the service manager told me they could not duplicate my problem, but there was a bulletin out for the slave issue and they were replacing it since I brought it in with those symptoms. There are others that have had similar problems. Check your clutch fluid, if it is not the color as the break fluid in the reservoir next to it you likely have a bad slave. Mine looked like ice-tea when it should be almost clear.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Punator

I drove my car again yesterday and the clutch feels softer than before I have a feeling the problem is not over...
Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had any clutch problems at all on my G (it doesn't have many miles on it yet), but I did have a problem on one of my other cars that could be a potential problem for some of you guys.

All manual transmissions have some sort of pressure relief valve that allows excess pressure to be bled out of the casing. On my car (again, not the G), the pressure relief valve got stuck closed. So whenever I drove the car for more than a short trip, the pressure would build up and the fluid got forced on to the friction surface of the clutch. Of course this caused the clutch to slip under hard acceleration, most often in higher gears. BTW, if you want to test a clutch for slippage, you're always better off accelerating in a higher gear at low rpm, as this puts more stress on the clutch.

Anyway, it's just another idea for those of you having clutch issues. I've also read enough complaints about slave cylinder failures to believe that it might be an issue for some of you.... and I do agree that clutches don't just fail out of nowhere, they usually give plenty of warning before they completely fail.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:45 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have ~22K on mine, everything seems fine right now.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at around 31-33K (don't remember exactly, I haven't had my car in over 3 weeks). No clutch issues or slippage during that time.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Got my entire transmission/clutch/flywheel assembly replaced at around 30K miles.

Bad synchros is what made me take it in. I think they only replaced the clutch/flywheel since they had the tranny out.

And because Riverside Infiniti is badass.

Quick Reply: How many G37 clutches have gone bad with low mileage?