MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   Dead spots (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/207115-dead-spots.html)

Breitling65 04-10-2010 04:46 AM

Dead spots

After driving g35x sedan for 3 years I am having difficulties with blind spots on coupe (G37) while driving. It seem like either side mirrors not big enough or cabin just smaller on coupe. Almost got hit twice yesterday because of this while changing lines.
Would you suggest using panoramic mirror? If not what else?

Jakex1 04-10-2010 04:49 AM

no blind spots in the car. set it up so you have to lean in to see your car. Your car isnt going to change color anytime soon, you dont have to see it everytime you look at the side mirror. (i am assuming this)

but if you still have blind spots, get the little mirrors on the side.

bingpwr 04-10-2010 07:41 AM

I think as long as you set up your sides and rear view so that you could see everything, it's fine. I came from a nissan sentra 4dr, and that thing had extremely large windows. You'll get used to it very quickly.

Test drive a 370z and talk about blind spots :)

movinon 04-10-2010 09:46 AM

I just stuck a small spot mirror, $1.29 from Walmart, on my driver's side mirror.
Before then, I tried adjusting the mirror properly, where you don't see the side of your car. There was still a blind spot, at least for me, no matter how far I went in or out with the mirror.
I drove in the slow lane on the interstate and checked out cars as they passed me. No matter where I set the driver's side mirror, I would still lose sight of the cars momentarily, as they passed. Don't have that problem with the spot mirror.
I've been using a small spot mirror as far back as I can remember on cars, so maybe my eyes are just trained for using one.

majin ssj eric 04-10-2010 10:09 AM

I would suggest looking over your shoulder. Its a great habit to get into...

tokyo_gaijin 04-10-2010 11:03 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean, but's just something what you need to be getting used to.

I am coming from Subaru, which had virtually no blind spots. Big windows, low and short hood, big mirrors, that car was so easy to drive, I got spoiled, so I am being extra careful now.

Breitling65 04-10-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by tokyo_gaijin (Post 2889641)
Yeah, I know what you mean, but's just something what you need to be getting used to.

I am coming from Subaru, which had virtually no blind spots. Big windows, low and short hood, big mirrors, that car was so easy to drive, I got spoiled, so I am being extra careful now.

Exactly, I am driving 3 different cars and not always G37 every day. It is tough to change something what you been familiar to do. It seem like cabin smaller and mirrors not big enough combo + my position in seat. I am thinking of either panoramic mirror (hate them) or smaller site mirror. Adjusting mirros doesn't help, turn head extra angle every time helps, but that need extra time to get use to and also not best solution to do on high speed.

djm17178 04-10-2010 11:52 AM

I need to do something to get rid of my blind spot too. I am so paranoid about it that I end up shoulder-checking and checking my mirror for too long when I change lanes. The risk is no longer hitting the car beside me, but the car ahead of me because I'm looking sideways!

majin ssj eric 04-10-2010 01:59 PM

You just need a quick glance. The mirror will cover everything except what is right next to you. You really don't need to peer out of the rear window for seconds at a time...

Haji 04-10-2010 03:05 PM

No matter what car I drive, I always check over my shoulder, and avoid changing lanes as much as possible. I stay in the fast lane, go about 5-10 over and it's all dandy.

blackfunk 04-10-2010 03:51 PM

Here's how to get rid of your blind spots.
How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
I've alsways had my mirrors set this way and I've yet to have any issues.

movinon 04-10-2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by blackfunk (Post 2889772)
Here's how to get rid of your blind spots.
How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
I've alsways had my mirrors set this way and I've yet to have any issues.

That's how I have been setting my driver's side mirror for years. I had read that you should rest your head against the driver's side window and then set your outside driver's mirror until you could just barely see the side of your car. When you return to sitting normally in the seat, the mirrors should show the right distance away from the car.
I had read about doing this in another car magazine article, over 10 years ago.
I started with the mirror set that way and as I watched cars coming up from behind and passing me, I tried adjusting it out and in some more. There was still a momentary blind spot, so I added the small spot mirror.

chasemyaccord 04-11-2010 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jakex1 (Post 2889568)
no blind spots in the car. set it up so you have to lean in to see your car. Your car isnt going to change color anytime soon, you dont have to see it everytime you look at the side mirror. (i am assuming this)

but if you still have blind spots, get the little mirrors on the side.

Yep, that's what I do. Read it online somewhere a couple years ago and haven't looked back since (literally) :bowrofl:

tokyo_gaijin 04-11-2010 12:12 PM

I played around with this today, and I adjusted so I barely see the side of the car and problem was solved, I could see entire left lane (in Japan we drive on left) and a lot more. Still do a quick glace around intersections though.

chasemyaccord 04-11-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by tokyo_gaijin (Post 2890111)
I played around with this today, and I adjusted so I barely see the side of the car and problem was solved, I could see entire left lane (in Japan we drive on left) and a lot more. Still do a quick glace around intersections though.

Yeah I still turn back once in a while, but on the most part, the setup works well.