G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Disappointed After 1 Year of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
mi000ke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold my RX last year and got an 09 G37x. I paid $40K (otd) for the RX in 1999. I paid $38K (otd) for the G (with nav/prem/wood) in 2009. So the G was way less expensive when adjusted for the ten-year time difference. I was so used to the feel of the RX (like sitting in your favorite chair in your den) that I had a bit of buyer's remorse for the first few weeks. But once I got used to the feel of the G, there was no looking back.

Yes the G has a few squeaks and rattles (mine has a dashboard squeak that comes and goes), and is not quite as nicely appointed in the cabin, but I would never go back to the Lexus. And the Lexus had its own annoyances as well. Maybe the M would be more comparable to the Lexus than the G.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just don't forget that you're comparing the G, a first year model of the current generation, to an 06 RX300, a third year model of that generation. Not exactly apples to apples comparion IMO.

Regardless, the G comes with its flaws, I don't deny that. But compared to its competitors, it stands its ground pretty well. I didn't expect the car to be perfect.

I'm sorry to hear you're encountering such issues. I hope you're able to resolve these with your dealer successfully.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK - 12 posts since you bought your car and all of them are complaints of noises - 10 of those 12 posts are on this thread alone.

Seems like you're just not happy with your purchase. All cars have issues and "$40K" is not a magic number for a perfect car. I've had Toyota's with constant problems related to quality and service, and GMs with virtually no issues but then again the fit/finish was not high end even at "$45K" for one of those.

Nowhere have you mentioned whether you've been to the dealer to have these issues looking into. Have you? What are they doing to solve them? A few heat shields can cause a lot of annoying rattles but are easy to fix. Let them know and see what they can do.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
SilverBullet

All cars have issues. Browse the Aston Martin forums. There are complaints about rattles from the nav area. All cars are going to have some kind of problems. The more you drive the car, the more you will notice any issues. There is no real magic number where a car will be perfect, whether you spend 40k or 400k. I would think that there would be more issues with cars that are a great deal more expensive, because many are built by hand. Then you have the issue, was my car built on a monday or a friday.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Danny Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexdee
I find it very funny that everyone here is bashing the OP. All the issues he posted are LEGIT REAL LIFE issues I see everyday on these forums, to be quite frank I find it ridiculous that he's having these problems, if my G had these problems I would raise a bitch fit too.

But luckily my G has been running great
2X

I don't have any issue with my G with 10k Km (in storage for winter now).

3 years with my FX and it’s still running great. I can't complain about Infiniti quality.

In reality, all high end vehicles have problems – some more than others especially in their first model year. As noted from this forum G has a fair share of the little problems.
<O</O
I am curious to know how the 3 Series compares quality wise to the G. Anyone cares to chime in?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 PM
junyea

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had my 08 G37 for 2 yrs (bought her 11/12/09) and have 30,000 miles on it.

The only complaint I have it the freaking breaks..... squeaks when I back up, and a weird sounding noise, at times, when I am going at about 10mph in traffic with my foot on the break.....

Here is a video of that noise....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QUmAVB2Xyic&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QUmAVB2Xyic&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 PM
g37musings

I can only speak for myself, not the OP. But in 5k miles, my G has had one minor issue, a loose wire in the steering column. In fact, it has been more trouble free than our 2009 Camry Hybrid I sold. It had 3 build quality issues and defects in the first 500 miles.

And the main point is, this car is so much more involving than the Camry (surprise there!) that I would be willing to overlook minor issues with the car. I see it as the reincarnation of the original 4dsc from the late 80s and early 90s.

I also had VWs that gave me grief but I was willing to tolerate a little of it for the driving experience. That is why BMW owners put up with some of the stuff they do because they love their cars. Those that love the driving experience will not be as critical as those that LIKE the way their cars drive. YMMV.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 PM
y3chen86

My car is 1.5 months old and I found a rattle in the car. It was really annoying when the music was up loud or I was driving through bad roads. First, I thought it was the passenger door panel. Then upon further inspection, it sounded like it was coming from the center console. Today, I discovered what the rattling came from...

My sun glasses in the overhead compartment.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After 29 months, my '08 has had ZERO problems.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 AM
G-Rocket

I have those too....
I can add oil consumption to those as well. I love the way the car looks inside and out but I should have stuck with BMW. IMO it is not worth more than $25-30k. My best friend got Lexus is350 at the same time I got my G and the difference in quality is huge, not to mention that he can pull me 0-60 anytime.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 AM
G-Rocket

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
2X

I don't have any issue with my G with 10k Km (in storage for winter now).

3 years with my FX and it’s still running great. I can't complain about Infiniti quality.

In reality, all high end vehicles have problems – some more than others especially in their first model year. As noted from this forum G has a fair share of the little problems.
<o></o>
I am curious to know how the 3 Series compares quality wise to the G. Anyone cares to chime in?
BMWs have many issues too. I have owned 3 from the 3-series and what makes me angry is that one and the same problem caries for years on the different models. They just came up with the 2nd generation 335i and still the same fuel pump and other mechanical problems. However I drove G35 recently, and they have the same creaks and super noisy tranny.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by notlkk

1. A Pillar creak
2. Windshield popping noise when temprature changes (specially when it's cold)
3. Trunk noises (specially when driving up the drive way and I still can't figure out what is causing the noise)
4. Muffler rattles when the car starts up in the first 2 minutes
5. Wipers chatter. Again, the wipers on my RX330 still work like new and I've never replaced them.
6. Noisy gearbox and transmission
7. Driver-side leather seat bubble. Again, my RX330 doesn't have this problem. Cheap material?
I have all that, and this being my second g-coupe, my first being an 07 G35 coupe and now my current 08 G37, I too am greatly dissapointed with the fit and finish. I have an added issue which is my clutch pedal making all sorts of squeaky noises and even though its been replaced twice, its still there and im just fed up. My brother has an 08 335i that is amazing in quality and finish, and my best friend has an 08 M3. When my lease is up, I will be switching to BMW unless the new Infiniti's are a COMPLETE overhaul. M3 here I come..
Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
oh yes and I have those squeaky brakes, I just tell people yea my brakes are big and powerful thats why they squeak, when in fact they are fade galore lol
Old 12-04-2009, 12:51 AM
G-Rocket

Originally Posted by Goonz
oh yes and I have those squeaky brakes, I just tell people yea my brakes are big and powerful thats why they squeak, when in fact they are fade galore lol
Hahhhaa, Blame it on the big discs!!! I did that but they got fixed under warranty!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Pillar creak – I hear it on the road sometimes and always when going up and down my driveway.
Windshield popping noise – I’m starting to get this now. Its intermittent making it very hard to track down.
Muffler rattle – muffler replaced.
Scary transmission issue – has happened on several occasions where the car will not shift into second with 75-85% throttle. Rev’s will soar but the car just stays put.
From day one the windshield wipers skipped.
Though I have the bubble in my seats it’s not an issue to me.
Headliner creaking – resolved by dealer.
ICC working with the wiper on. – not sure I actually want the dealer to fix that one.
Do I LOVE this car? Yes I do but quality wise however its another matter. I’ve have extensive seat time in an 08FX and I can say that there are NO squeaks or rattles anywhere to be heard, so it seems like a such a shame that the second generation version of the G should not be so endowed.

Quick Reply: Disappointed After 1 Year of Ownership