Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Disappointed After 1 Year of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
notlkk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skyline73
An RX whatever is not going to have the thousands of dollars of performance tech a G has....
Again, I'm not talking about the performance and I'm not trying to compare them in performance. And yes, I know my G has much better performance than my RX330.

I'm just disappointed that my G doesn't have the same level of quality, or should I say the interior quality in terms of creaks, squeaks or noises, as my RX330.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
OMG37

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I think we're getting way off track. OP posted that he has a few issues that disappointed him with the build quality his G and asked if we have them or not. He didn't ask for a dissertation on how he drives, what his expectations should be, comparison to brand or model X, etc. If you have the issues, let him know, if not let him know that.
I think these parts of the original post are the reason the thread has taken the direction it has...

Originally Posted by notlkk
...specially when I compare it to my RX330.
My RX330 is about 3 years old and it never has any rattles, interior or mechanical issues. It just feels smooth. On the other side, my G37s has the following issues...
7. Driver-side leather seat bubble. Again, my RX330 doesn't have this problem. Cheap material?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Again, I'm not talking about the performance and I'm not trying to compare them in performance. And yes, I know my G has much better performance than my RX330.

I'm just disappointed that my G doesn't have the same level of quality, or should I say the interior quality in terms of creaks, squeaks or noises, as my RX330.
I would think that the stiff suspension is causing all these noises. Imagine if our G's had the ride quality of the RX. It would most likely not have any of the creaks or noises, but then our car wouldn't be considered sports cars.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Thrak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ the OP,
It terms of the creaking in the a-pillar, you should take it in to your dealer to have it checked out. I took mine to Sewell Infiniti for the same problem on the driver side a-pillar. It ended up being something about 3 layers of metal or welds rubbing together when the body flexed. They went ahead and spaced them out and lubed them up. No weird sounds since. All repairs done under warranty.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 PM
juicybusa

Two or three thoughts on this thread- 1-People have different levels of comparative experience and expectations 2-People have differing levels of sensitivity to perceived problems 3- No one critical of this poster has experienced his particular vehicle-all mfg occasionally produce an overall unsatisfactory quality vehicle 4-Some people are seemingly hyper-sensitive when the mighty infiniti is negatively reviewed and appear to be in blind denial LOL . Attacking a guy that expresses HIS opinion on HIS experience is a bit over the top IMO.

Last edited by juicybusa; 12-02-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry, Aaron, but you're assumption is completely wrong. I'm not remote to driving a sports car like G37s at all but I don't drive like a lunatic, either. As a matter of fact, I don't push My G hard at all. The only time I kind of push it is when I get onto an on-ramp with no cars in front of me, even that, I always push the RPM to only around 5200.

So it's not because of my driving, it's the car.

I agree, it is the car. Not the driving. But I still think there's truth to what Mike and da Mayor are trying to say about the car. I'm at 33k after 2+ years and have the body flex everytime I go up the driveway.

Like Mike was saying, the suspension on the G is probably much different and stiffer than the RX, causing more stress on the body. RX was probably a much softer and more comfortable ride, for a different reason of course. It comes down to the fact that they're completely different cars, built for different reasons, and will have different characteristics. I understand where you're coming from because you expected the G to have the same perceived quality as the RX.

At the least, maybe you can have the non-body flex issues resolved?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I’ve been driving my G37 coupe for over two years now and like others here have had none of the problems the OP described.

Realizing that any one car could have these problems, irrespective of the owner’s driving style, they all appear fixable in the car in question. In a general sense we must look at the overall build quality of that vehicle line. And from all published measurements, including Consumer Reports and various on-line reviews, Infiniti comes out as one of the best built cars sold in the U.S.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Aaron

I'm sorry, Aaron, but you're assumption is completely wrong. I'm not remote to driving a sports car like G37s at all but I don't drive like a lunatic, either. As a matter of fact, I don't push My G hard at all. The only time I kind of push it is when I get onto an on-ramp with no cars in front of me, even that, I always push the RPM to only around 5200.

I apologize, it was a stab in the dark. (I said "might").

It does sound like you got a car from a bad batch. I have not had any of your problems, granted I only have about 5k on the odometer.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
notlkk

Talking

Originally Posted by OMG37
Sounds like you are getting defensive, and before you go off talking about how smart you are...I'd suggest a couple things:

1. Learn how to spell Infiniti
2. Use the "preview posts" feature of these forums before you actually post your comments. You'll find your grammar is terrible...smart guy.
What? So now we're talking about spelling and grammar? You're a high school teacher?

People like you really crack me up. You insist on changing a normal discussion or personal opionions into something personal. If you're so **** about people's spelling, why aren't you **** about these little creaks and squeaks?

BTW, I love to spell Infiniti as Infinity. Bite me!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
da mayor, you missed my point just like Mike. Can't someone understand what I'm talking about. I know these are extremely different cars. I know people drive them differently. That is NOT the point. The point is in QUALITY! Are you saying you're willing to shell out 40K+ for performance only but could care less about high quality? After all, Infiniti has been trying to market this car as a high-end luxury car, right?
Mike, you completely missed my point. I was using my RX330 to compare in quality and it has nothing to do with how I drive these cars.

Are you saying becaue it's a performance car it should have less quality? I don't buy that at all.

Hard acceleration hardly puts any stress at all on the chassis. This car will generate a peak acceleration of perhaps .6G for a fraction of a second in first gear, if the car is launched. If you are just accelerating through the gears, it won't even hit .45G.

Hard cornering on the other hand, is what sports cars are all about, and that is where the stress comes from. A banked onramp will easily allow you to generate in excess of 1.15G, all of which is a twisting force on the chassis (imagine a dollar bill sitting in front of you. Hold either side of it, and then twist the left side away from you, and the right side toward you. This is what cornering does to a car). This in turn causes chassis flex, and will eventually wear out your chassis. It is also the source of many creaks and rattles, and is why there are so many chassis bracing options on the G37 (along with all other remotely sporty cars).

You did say you corner hard, which I doubt you do in the Lexus.

As far as quality and reliability, performance and reliability generally have an inverse relationship. Your average Corolla owner will never worry about their car not starting, even if it has 300,000 miles on it. On the other hand, that Lambo owner will always have a fear of the car not starting, even if it is brand new. Lets not even get started on the squeeks and rattles. If we go to something in between, like an Evo for example, there's not many examples of this car over 100,000 miles, even in stock form.

As a relatively high performance car, the G is miles ahead in quality and long term reliability. Yes, the G does have some flaws, especially since you bought the first year model, but the dealerships will address them. If your local dealer is unwilling, try taking a printed copy of the TSB with you, or give another dealership a try.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
alexdee

I find it very funny that everyone here is bashing the OP. All the issues he posted are LEGIT REAL LIFE issues I see everyday on these forums, to be quite frank I find it ridiculous that he's having these problems, if my G had these problems I would raise a bitch fit too.

But luckily my G has been running great
Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Idaho siirto

Originally Posted by Chekov
I’ve been driving my G37 coupe for over two years now and like others here have had none of the problems the OP described.

Realizing that any one car could have these problems, irrespective of the owner’s driving style, they all appear fixable in the car in question. In a general sense we must look at the overall build quality of that vehicle line. And from all published measurements, including Consumer Reports and various on-line reviews, Infiniti comes out as one of the best built cars sold in the U.S.
Agreed. At two years I remain very pleased with build quality. Have however experienced 2 issues as OP: the seat bubble and exhaust at start up-both easily dealt with under warranty. Seat issue has not returned. May have muffler replaced again and eventually go aftermarket. No big deal.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
worldcrafter

you are comparing a lux-sport car to a luxury car. unfair comparison to begin with, but regarding the noises you're experiencing, you should take it into the dealer and complain, nothing wrong with using the warranty that came with your car.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A little over 10,000 miles on my 2009 coupe, and I can say I only have 1 of the OP's problems: the seat bubble. I've yet to get it looked at by my dealer, but other than that, I've been THRILLED with the build quality of my car. Either I got really lucky or the 2009's quality control was greatly improved over the MY2008. Granted, comparing the Lexus SUV to a GT/Sports car....a bit different. And to the OP, you should be able to get most, if not all, of those problems fixed under warranty. Get the issues fixed, then update us on your thoughts of the car.....I bet you'll be much happier next go around. Cheers!!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Mysticalism

Originally Posted by Gyoza
I understand your point. I have owned a couple of Toyotas and Lexus and can attest to their long term quality, HOWEVER (and this is how I rationalize it), you have to give something up to get the performance.

Now if Lexus offered a 330+hp GT/Sports coupe, I would be the first in line, but lets face it, outside of the somewhat dated IS-F there isnt much excitement coming out of Toyota/Lexus these days.
what he said

Quick Reply: Disappointed After 1 Year of Ownership