Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it worth the fight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth the fight?

Hey guys, I'm the proud new owner of a 2009 Black on Black G37x coupe. I live in Toronto so I also got a winter tire & rim package and now my car is a freakin snow plow!

My question is this: It's only been 10 days since I got the car and I've already noticed swirls on the front of the hood. They even put some special paint protection on this thing, but I was thinking of taking it back to the dealership and forcing them to buff it better to eliminate all swirls.

Do you think they'll do it for free? Thanks!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No they will not do it for free... You need to learn to properly wash your car. No offense, but that's likely the problem.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 PM
machinist

No offense taken. I'll just walk in with a loaded machinegun. Maybe they'll reconsider doing a quick buff & wax...lol I can read the news headlnes already...."Man performs a massacre on dealership after being denied a buff & wax on his car hood"...

I've already invested in some cleaning supplies from DI so I'm looking forward to getting & using them properly.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Paint protection isn't to eliminate swirls on the clear coat, but rather to protect your paint from UV light...there is no way you can eliminate swirls, but if you have an 09, shouldn't it come with self-curing paint? if it does, park it in the sun and let the paint do it's magic...
Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist
No offense taken. I'll just walk in with a loaded machinegun. Maybe they'll reconsider doing a quick buff & wax...lol I can read the news headlnes already...."Man performs a massacre on dealership after being denied a buff & wax on his car hood"...

I've already invested in some cleaning supplies from DI so I'm looking forward to getting & using them properly.
Okay.

Are you 12?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
machinist

Oh ok....well, you're right. The '09 does come with self healing paint, but I wasn't sure if that's just Infiniti's "sales pitch" to differentiate their '09 lineup of the G37x or if there's actual validity to this feature. If so, the sun part will be a bit tough, considering I live in Toronto (8 months of winter). What if I use some sort of portable blow dryer? Will that help?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:26 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Okay.

Are you 12?
Just a silly joke. I'll choose my audience wiser next time
Old 12-29-2008, 12:26 PM
EVO-to-G

this is like the 3rd thread you made on cleaning your car.

and you said you bought products already...so just do it yourself. it will come out alot better than the dealer doing it anyway.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by EVO-to-G
this is like the 3rd thread you made on cleaning your car.

and you said you bought products already...so just do it yourself. it will come out alot better than the dealer doing it anyway.
Will do. I was only asking because I wanted to maximise on my opportunity to get the dealership to fix it. I spent $57,000 (CAD) on this thing and paid for it in full. Just looking to make an informed decision.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by machinist
Oh ok....well, you're right. The '09 does come with self healing paint, but I wasn't sure if that's just Infiniti's "sales pitch" to differentiate their '09 lineup of the G37x or if there's actual validity to this feature. If so, the sun part will be a bit tough, considering I live in Toronto (8 months of winter). What if I use some sort of portable blow dryer? Will that help?
Yes, i believe you can use a blow dryer...i wouldn't suggest using a heat gun tho, u might burn ur paint if you don't know what your doing...and it's not a sales pitch, because that would be false advertising and infiniti would get sued! The self healing paint does work, but to what extent i am not 100% sure...
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
EVO-to-G

i know what you mean....when i got my car from the dealership...the sh*t had alot of swirl marks.
and i told the guy that this is crazy for a brand new car. he said to bring it back one day and they will give it a detail again. but i decided to just do it myself.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
machinist

Thanks bud! I'll give that a shot and see how it works out
Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Brush

for 57grand i dont think i would of gotten a 37... no offense i love them but 60grand for an infiniti is pushing it
Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
Yes, i believe you can use a blow dryer...i wouldn't suggest using a heat gun tho, u might burn ur paint if you don't know what your doing...and it's not a sales pitch, because that would be false advertising and infiniti would get sued! The self healing paint does work, but to what extent i am not 100% sure...
^^

As long as the swirls have not PENETRATED the clear coat, it will heal.

Take a blowdryer to your hood, and it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to make a really noticeable difference.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
gtracing

it's funny tho, but almost everyone i know who owns an infiniti has had issues with the paint...either the clear coat was chipped, or there were swirl marks all over the vehicle even before it was picked up...i'm planning to bring mine back to the dealership as well (picked mine up beginning of Dec) and gonna make them polish my entire vehicle...but the vehicle is currently snowed in and hasn't moved in 2 weeks

Quick Reply: Is it worth the fight?