G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Windshield chipped, cracked, & chipped again now - WTF?? -- Soft glass? I hate ROCKS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Windshield chipped, cracked, & chipped again now - WTF?? -- Soft glass? I hate ROCKS

Either I have very bad luck, my car is a magnet for rocks, or not only is the paint soft on our cars but so is the glass!!

Anyone else have any issues with rock chips or cracks on their windsheild?

I got a rock chip / star crack at the end of last winter, got it repaired but cd still see it in my line of sight. Bugged me to death.
Last month i got hit my another random rock, didnt even see it this time, but i did hear it. This time it was a crack, the length of about two dollar bills. Thought it was a pine needle at first, till i turned on my windsheild wipers and saw that it was a crack.

So i was lazy, and never got it replaced and kept procrastinating... well, i'm glad i did! Just got hit with ANOTHER rock today. This time i saw it fly up from the new Acura TL in front of me... good sized black rock *BAM* .... new star crack an inch to the right of the old star crack. I think its high time i call GEICO
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah man... Call them up and get that **** fixed.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a bunch on chips on my maxima... pissed me off bigtime...
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I have definitely been hit with plenty of rocks but I dont even have a scratch on my windshield. They must have rocks the size of boulders up there!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No chips here. Yet.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Ahujadaddy

rocks the size of boulders... lmao... *sigh*

funniest thing is, my last car which i had for three years... same driving style, zero chips.
this car, just over 1 year old, 3 hits. Just the luck of the draw i guess. Hope the deductible for this is low.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:06 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Now sure what your state laws are but it should be replaced for FREE, as to prevent any further damages to the vehicle. You will not be charged your comprehensive deductible.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
glass insurance is cheap... and w/ all the debris on the road it just pays to have it
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

A lot of highway driving? It should be covered in your insurance. They charge you an extra like 7 dollars/year to have coverage on the windshield. Its the a very important piece of glass on the car, and it should be replaced ASAP.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
DJPoop

Not sure how it is where you live, but here in Fl. its a state law that anytime a windshield is cracked, the insurance has to fix it no charge.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Ahujadaddy

hmm, interesting points.. it got me thinking. Turns out that in FL, (DiamondGCoupe), insurance covers glass replacement like you said.

In NY (daMayor), it is offered as an add-on to the policy. Nothing like that in MD it seems... im gonna call and find out what i can do to ease the cost if it happens again.

http://www.carwindshields.info/states.htm
Old 12-15-2008, 01:27 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes I am an insurance agent in FL, window replacement is covered if you are fully insured. In MD, according to that link, it must be added to your policy. I do advise you to replace the windshield with OEM glass and not the comparable. Who knows Geico might cover it for you once at no charge. Seems like this will be a persistent problem you might want to go ahead and add the glass endorsement asap, it's worth a few bucks every 6 months.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Ahujadaddy

^^Ohh good to know! I was just browsing around for quotes... i am hoping that ONLY the OEM glass is availible at this point, else I guess i hafta ask for OEM and insist! They prolly will make me pay deductible and on top of that the difference?

I wonder if dealerships do this... they prolly contract it out to someone but at least i cd def get OEM glass. I'm worried about the seals afterwards and air leaks. annoying!

Def gonna add glass coverage after this.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Ahujadaddy

ok... so i did have glass coverage apparently but it was $500 deductible, BUT... since i had something called mechanical breakdown coverage the deductible gets reduced to $50

Now on that i can't complain!

Now its up to me to find a good glass repair company around here to do the work. I didn't wanna use their recomended Safelite ppl cuz of bad experience in the past. So we'll see.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Ahujadaddy

Question guys..... is there a diff between PPG glass and OEM? The person on the phone confused me... she said it was PPG glass and they had two in stock... i was like so this the factory glass... OEM?

She said, yea... its PPG glass Original Manaufacturer. ??? just wanted to clarify with ppl here who may know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Windshield chipped, cracked, & chipped again now - WTF?? -- Soft glass? I hate ROCKS