Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How often do you use ds-sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:41 PM
abravenewworld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is there any point in keeping it in DS mode in prolonged freeway driving where your not passing people? Like just going 65 for 2 hours straight in one lane...
Old 11-25-2008, 05:50 PM
mredgar2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DS stands for Double Sexy, it's in the manual, on page 69.
The following users liked this post:
*ICE* (01-03-2014)
Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Baroker

ok so i drive an auto, all id have to do if put the stick to DS mode and leave it there without shifting or anything?

Does it hurt your engine AT ALL?

Last edited by Baroker; 11-26-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
w0ady

Originally Posted by Heat
5 ways, you can also put it in DS mode and use paddle shifters.'

The only con of driving in DS mode all the time is that you use a little extra gas. Just guessing that it will prob drop your mpg by 2-5 miles on average depending on your driving habits.
um but you're still using paddle shifters which is no different than paddles in D since you're still doing the shifting...
Originally Posted by Baroker
ok so i drive an auto, all id have to do if put the stick to DS mode and leave it there without shifting or anything?

Does it hurt your engine AT ALL?
no the ecu is programmed to not allow that.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:10 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
um but you're still using paddle shifters which is no different than paddles in D since you're still doing the shifting...

Actually if you are in DS mode and use the shifters it will always wait for you to shift (up) but in d and you use the paddles it will revert back to auto mode after a set amount of time
Old 11-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Baroker

Kinda confused now. So w0ady I DO have to be the one shifting in DS mode? and if so how? I dont have paddle shifters. I've been reading previous posts and i thought I could just leave it without shifting
Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Keng

From the manual

"When you pull the paddle shifter while in the D (Drive) position, the transmission will shift to the upper or lower range temporarily. The transmission will automatically return to the D (Drive) position after a short period of time. If you want to return to the D (Drive) position manually, pull and hold the paddle shifter for about 1.5 seconds."

"Remember not to drive at high speeds for extended periods of time in lower than 5th gear. This reduces fuel economy."

"Moving the selector lever rapidly to the same side twice will shift the ranges in succession."

"In the manual shift mode, the transmission may not shift to the selected gear. This helps maintain driving performance and reduces the chance of vehicle damage or loss of control."

"In the manual shift mode, the transmission automatically shifts down to 1st gear before the vehicle comes to a stop. When accelerating again, it is necessary to shift up to the desired range."

"If the vehicle is driven under extreme conditions, such as excessive wheel spinning and subsequent hard braking, the fail-safe system may be
activated. This will occur even if all electrical circuits are functioning properly. In this case, push the switch to the OFF position and wait for 3
seconds. Then push the ignition switch back to the ON position. The vehicle should return to its normal operating condition. If it does not return
to its normal operating condition, have an INFINITI dealer check the transmission and repair if necessary."

Last edited by Keng; 11-26-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:34 PM
AussieV36

Kinda confused now. So w0ady I DO have to be the one shifting in DS mode? and if so how? I dont have paddle shifters. I've been reading previous posts and i thought I could just leave it without shifting
You can, DS mode changes the shift points/gear ratios so you can whack it in DS mode and drive like any normal auto.
Regardless of paddles, in DS mode when you use the tip-tronic function the gearbox will wait for your input, it will only shift to 1st when you slow down or stop.
cars with paddle shifters can shift manually in D mode, but after awhile the manual mode will revert back to D

over time it's natural to assume If you use the DS mode and constantly only change when the engine is close to redline you are putting more stress on the engine and gearbox. I'd say the occasional spirited drive is okay, but someone doing in day in/day out will wear out their g/box and engine 'faster'. The car itself has a few safety parameters like a rev limiter if the revs get past redline and also a Limp mode which will protect against any further damage to the car as far as engine/gearbox is concerned

Last edited by AussieV36; 11-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Baroker

so i tried otu DS mode on auto w/o shifting.. didnt feel a difference. Am i suppose to?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:40 AM
shumby

you will if you are driving hard if you are driving normal you will feel no difference. Do you have the sport model.?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
w0ady

Originally Posted by Heat
5 ways, you can also put it in DS mode and use paddle shifters.'

The only con of driving in DS mode all the time is that you use a little extra gas. Just guessing that it will prob drop your mpg by 2-5 miles on average depending on your driving habits.
Originally Posted by shumby
Actually if you are in DS mode and use the shifters it will always wait for you to shift (up) but in d and you use the paddles it will revert back to auto mode after a set amount of time
ah i see, learned something new. thanks heat and shumby.
like others said, you just leave it alone in DS. if you want to manually shift, you can use tiptronic. but ya you will only notice a difference if you're driving hard to redline which most people dont. i do.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:07 PM
jambi

hey guys , i drove my car in DS mode for 2 hours , then suddenly the tempreture of the engine went up !! i immediatly stopped the car , the car smelled like burning.
i opened the hood only to discover that am all out of water :S??! werid because last month i refilled it
i guess i have to take it the dealer
Old 11-27-2008, 03:16 PM
w0ady

water? or coolant? do you have a leak somewhere?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Baroker

So if i Drive normally..DS mode would be useless then?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:12 PM
shumby

^^ ya sort of

Quick Reply: How often do you use ds-sport mode?