Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How often do you use ds-sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baroker
So if i Drive normally..DS mode would be useless then?
DS shifts at redline. so if you're not shifting near redline then you dont need it.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 AM
jambi

yeah there was some leakage , green water right?
funny thing is that the same happend to me last month the dealer took it , 2 days later they said that they found no leakage and the car is fine :/
the bad thing is that the computer still wont give me anykind of warning
Old 11-28-2008, 11:19 AM
F3LiX

I've been driving a manual for YEARS and I've always downshifted to get into the right RPM range when slowing into and coming out of my turns -- that's the one place I notice DS mode does a great job. It's not perfect, but it does a much better job than most automatics...
Old 11-28-2008, 02:15 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Well it shifts more aggresively even when driving normal. So in a way you are right- you are just burning more gas if you are driving normal.

DS mode acts as if you are doing sport driving. The car is expecting you to do spirited driving so it shifts are calibrated accordingly.

It wont necessarily hold shifts to redline however unless you have it floored or give it more than 70/ 75%. It will however hold the gears much longer than normal.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 PM
w0ady

if you're not shifting at redline, you're not driving.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just to point out really quickly here that driving your car in (DS) mumatic mode for extended periods is really not a good idea if you're consistently bouncing off the rev limiter. Short term it is ok but longterm its really bad it WILL increase the engine temp which WILL cause engine components to have a shorter life span.
The tranny also has to run in a lower gear which will add additional wear which will at some point in the future increase the risk of failure.
My advice is simply this, don't forget to shift. ie leaving the engine to rev its life away is a very bad idea
Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 AM
bunluvsvw

I think the only thing your hurting when you keep it in DS mode is your Wallet, just sucks more gas cause of the heavy right foot. lol
Old 11-29-2008, 02:21 PM
jambi

Originally Posted by blackfunk
Just to point out really quickly here that driving your car in (DS) mumatic mode for extended periods is really not a good idea if you're consistently bouncing off the rev limiter. Short term it is ok but longterm its really bad it WILL increase the engine temp which WILL cause engine components to have a shorter life span.
The tranny also has to run in a lower gear which will add additional wear which will at some point in the future increase the risk of failure.
My advice is simply this, don't forget to shift. ie leaving the engine to rev its life away is a very bad idea
as i said , i drove it for 2 hours using DS mode , and my car did heat up !! and i was out of water.
is driving using DS consume water?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by jambi
as i said , i drove it for 2 hours using DS mode , and my car did heat up !! and i was out of water.
is driving using DS consume water?
No, the radiator coolant is a closed circulatory system. You need have your dealer check your car.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:01 AM
jambi

Originally Posted by Keng
No, the radiator coolant is a closed circulatory system. You need have your dealer check your car.
went to the dealer today , there seems to be a problem with the fans sensor, it wont detect heat which makes the water in the radiator bowl and run out
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Keng

went to the dealer today , there seems to be a problem with the fans sensor, it wont detect heat which makes the water in the radiator bowl and run out
Ahh I had similar problem with an old Honda, there were so much calcium in the radiator it just doesn't do its job anymore so the water ends up boiling lol. After driving and park the car I can totally hear it. Glad you found the problem though.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Steve2112

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but one of the cooler things about the DS mode is the way it downshifts - let's say the car is in DS mode, and you are coasting at 65mph.... as the car gets slower, it will downshift by blipping the throttle before downshifting, so it feels like downshifting in a manual car.

I previously had an 05 STi, and although a 6MT can be fun, it can also be a pain when you have a long commute with a lot of stop and go traffic.

The paddle shifters give you the best of both worlds.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like you might have blown or cracked your heads. When I was younger, I bought a used Neon (nobody laugh, lesson learned) in which I later realized that the heads were blown when I drove it aggressively and i had to refill the engine coolant every couple days. Come to find out the oil was leaking because the heads were cracked. Needless to say, the car only lasted 6 months before I threw a rod.

Not sure what a fans sensor is, but I do know that it would probably be a good idea for you to buy a new and cooler thermostat. Your car should definitely not run out of coolant that quick. I have driven mine in Florida and Texas under aggressive driving for over a year and have not had to refill my coolant. Make sure the issue is corrected before you end up blowing your engine.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:53 AM
jambi

Originally Posted by Heat
Sounds to me like you might have blown or cracked your heads. When I was younger, I bought a used Neon (nobody laugh, lesson learned) in which I later realized that the heads were blown when I drove it aggressively and i had to refill the engine coolant every couple days. Come to find out the oil was leaking because the heads were cracked. Needless to say, the car only lasted 6 months before I threw a rod.

Not sure what a fans sensor is, but I do know that it would probably be a good idea for you to buy a new and cooler thermostat. Your car should definitely not run out of coolant that quick. I have driven mine in Florida and Texas under aggressive driving for over a year and have not had to refill my coolant. Make sure the issue is corrected before you end up blowing your engine.
the car is under warranty for 3 years, they are fixing it for free as we speak, i honestly dont know whats wrong, but i do know that the fans wont work when the car is on heat, which makes the water boil and comes out as steam.
thats what i've been told
good thing is that they gave me w brand new M45 as loaner lol
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, they gave you an M45 as a loaner?! All I get is a base G35 Sedan. I miss my car the entire time! Although, luckily, I get a loaner every time I get an oil change.

Quick Reply: How often do you use ds-sport mode?