Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How often do you use ds-sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 AM
mygyott37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup i have realized that too.. i use ds everyday and every single second lol that i drive...

Originally Posted by Heat
I use it almost daily as needed. I know it very well actually.

When I first tracked it this was my result between the differences in shifting.

1.) Shifting manually w/paddle shifters and stick=slower track times
2.) Regular auto mode=slow track times
3.) DS auto=fastest track times

Summary=when you have it it sport mode the computer assumes that you want to drive quick. Therefore it will downshift quicker and to a lower gear than it normally would in auto mode. Also, when it shifts through the gears, it will rev to the exact rpm that a normal 6mt should shift to have the max hp and torque throughout the power band. Therefore, letting the sport mode computer shift for you will prevent any mistakes in shifting points. Also, when you put it in sport mode, it raises the rpms a couple hundred. So when you continually drive in sport mode, you will end up using more gas. Your engine also works harder so IMHO you shouldnt leave it in sport mode while driving all the time.

There is no difference in sound unless you have an aftermarket exhaust or intake.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Q8_G37S_Red

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do u think guys for drag racing ??
which is better the paddel or the DS mode
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Heat

DS, and letting the computer shift for you! I have tested.

Also, in order to launch with the quickest times, you want to brake with your left foot while accelerating with your right to 1500 rpm. Release after 2nd yellow light. Use your feet as if you had a manual.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Roseyhebert

I am about to sound really lame but I don't care. I don't use DS mode because I don't know how to use it properly. My husband tried to show me but it was a lost cause. I'm too stoopid.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
nym37

Originally Posted by roseyhebert
i am about to sound really lame but i don't care. I don't use ds mode because i don't know how to use it properly. My husband tried to show me but it was a lost cause. I'm too stoopid.
lollllllll
Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
abravenewworld

Just engage it and it'll do all the work for you
Old 11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
G-Pimp

Originally Posted by roseyhebert
I am about to sound really lame but I don't care. I don't use DS mode because I don't know how to use it properly. My husband tried to show me but it was a lost cause. I'm too stoopid.
Do you understand how gears work? Because basically the DS will allow you to stay in a certain gear longer than just regular D ("drive"), so that you can use all the power up to redline. Not to mention the quicker downshifting (i.e. going from 3rd gear to 2nd)
Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Roseyhebert

Originally Posted by G-Pimp
Do you understand how gears work? Because basically the DS will allow you to stay in a certain gear longer than just regular D ("drive"), so that you can use all the power up to redline. Not to mention the quicker downshifting (i.e. going from 3rd gear to 2nd)
Not reallyand I don't understand what the DS mode does. I do know that it will shift for you but I tend to drive this car like 90 year olds screw. Maybe I should have gotten a civic rather than this car.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rosey, I'm beginging to think you've never taken this car for a ride.... do you like going on rollercoasters??? If so put the thing in DS next time you're starting on a long highway on ramp with no traffic and floor it, once your at 80 you can put it back in D and wipe the tears from your eyes and continue on at your normal cruise speed.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Roseyhebert

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Rosey, I'm beginging to think you've never taken this car for a ride.... do you like going on rollercoasters??? If so put the thing in DS next time you're starting on a long highway on ramp with no traffic and floor it, once your at 80 you can put it back in D and wipe the tears from your eyes and continue on at your normal cruise speed.
Well that's the problem. I don't really know how to use it! I told you I am too stoopid. To quote Carlos Mencia "dur-ti-dur"
Old 11-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Heat

Push the stick to the left and leave it there. Push it to the right to switch back to normal auto. You can even switch it while driving at any speed, say if you want to pass a car, vice flooring it. It doesnt hurt it. It is only computer programming.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Snareman

I don't use mine all that often, but it does come in handy and is fun for those times when you either need a little extra power or just want the speed/power like getting on a highway or passing, etc.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I use it pretty much all the time. I did in my G35 as well- never any problems from the tranny. The tranny in this car is solid. The G35Cs AT tranny was also used in the Q45 which had a V8. The G37s tranny is a derivative of that with an even more aggresively engaging torque converter so it can handle some punishment.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 PM
TheBigA

Use it often just playing around, passing, used it a couple of 3 times during a little stop light to stop light action....It's fun once you learn to use it. Get the grounding kit HELP A LOT!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
w0ady

i drove 95% of 68k miles in manumatic on my 35 with no issues to the transmission.

Originally Posted by Heat
DS, and letting the computer shift for you! I have tested.

Also, in order to launch with the quickest times, you want to brake with your left foot while accelerating with your right to 1500 rpm. Release after 2nd yellow light. Use your feet as if you had a manual.
good info, have you tried other rpm's? i was thinking about starting with 2000 and going up not down actually.

Quick Reply: How often do you use ds-sport mode?