Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

AFS indicator flashing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 AM
obhaiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFS indicator flashing

I just swapped my capsules with new 6000k capsules and when I went for my first drive after making a right hand turn my afs light started to flash. I did ECU rest but the problem came back. I can't think of a reason why brighter light should afect the AFS, can anyone help me throubleshot please
Old 11-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Exact same circumstances and issues for me. It is very intermittent. After killing the engine for a few seconds and restarting it goes away. Took it to the dealer for other things 2 weeks ago and had them check it out. Found no code and couldn't duplicate the issue, of course. It's unlikely that I'll ever be able to take it in while it's actually flashing as I don't live close by.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I removed my headlights today and I found something that might possibly be the cause. Inside the housing there is wiring that goes to the bulb. It's covered in a silver heat shield type of material. The position of it was kind of between the bulb base and the side of the housing. Seeing as out headlights swivel, I wonder if the position of the wiring might have been blocking the full range of motion of the mechanism, causing a fault condition and the light to flash? I won't be able to tell because I removed my AFS lights and replaced them with non AFS (long story, don't ask). If you can check inside there and make sure the wiring isn't in a bind or blocking full motion of the headlight when it swivels, you may fix the problem.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya sounds like an install issue. id pull them and redo them carefully.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping an old thread back.

Did anyone figure this one out? I swapped for 6000K bulbs and this happened to me. I'm inclined to BB's guess, because the system works if I turn right, but as soon as I have to make a left turn, the AFS light flashes and the system doesn't work anymore. Makes me think that I overlooked something on the driver's side housing when I put the cover back on...

I think I'll get in there in a little while and check for obstructions or anything preventing full range of motion. I love this feature, and want it back! Lol
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Wow. This was form eons ago when I had the horrendous experience of removing my lights and sending them off to be painted instead of doing it myself. Props for searching first and bumping an extant relevant thread to ask instead of starting a new one.

Anyway, yes the issue I outlined in post #3 seemed to be my problem. Make sure the wiring is not in a position inside the fixture where it obstructs the full range of motion of the projector as it swivels. I simply repositioned it and all is well.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
jon23

Nice BB! You beat me to it!

So I jacked up the car and removed the wheels in order to get a better visual of what I might've missed during the bulb install. Well, I found out the actual pentagon-shaped metal connector was not facing the right way. Since I'm a dummy and forgot to take a picture, I looked and found one from this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...k-release.html

Notice the pentagon-shaped metal connector for the HID bulbs, its flat part faces up, while the left side in my car was facing right for some odd reason

Moral of the story: Make sure that when you remove/unplug something somewhere in the car, it returns to its original place!

Name:  IMG_0334-color.jpg
Views: 7988
Size:  62.7 KB

I test drove during the day but with the lights on for a little while, and no more AFS blinking light on the dash! Hope the fix is permanent. I'll drive for a longer period of time, with more turns and such, on my way to work tonight; I'll update if this fixed my issue.

Hope this helps anyone out there!

Update 7/23/2012:

AFS is back!

In my case, it turned out to be that the metal connector described above was not in the correct position. It should be facing up, as the picture shows above ^^^

Last edited by jon23; 07-23-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I thought that would only fit on there and lock into place if it is placed in the correct orientation. Glad you got it fixed. In the photo you can see the sire I was referring to being an obstruction if it's not properly placed. When it turns that wire (the one with the woven silver heat shield) will block it from turning all the way to the right if it's in the way.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I thought that would only fit on there and lock into place if it is placed in the correct orientation...
I thought the same thing, but since both headlights worked afterward, I thought that maybe somehow I broke some component from the AFS system... But now we know it can actually lock on a different position and properly energize the HID bulb, but disable the AFS system...
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jon23
Notice the pentagon-shaped metal connector for the HID bulbs, its flat part faces up, while the left side in my car was facing right for some odd reason
That connector actually has an arrow etched into it, at least mine does, and always thought that was to help show orientation.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I haven't looked at it in some time, but I remember that being a lightning bolt to show it's an electrified part isn't it?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
That's probably what it's supposed to mean.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I haven't looked at it in some time, but I remember that being a lightning bolt to show it's an electrified part isn't it?
Originally Posted by soundmike
That connector actually has an arrow etched into it, at least mine does, and always thought that was to help show orientation.
The metal plug has a lightning bolt, as BB indicated. Soundmike, you are correct, there is an arrow to indicate orientation, but that is for the black plastic cap, you align those arrows in order to get it in the proper way then twist to tighten, as it has an angled indentation in the inside at the bottom, to accommodate the moving of the AFS system.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The AFS only applies to the driver's side yes? I have the same problem, going to give that a try.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Both sides.

Quick Reply: AFS indicator flashing