Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Nav = Epic Failure to the 3rd power

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Nav = Epic Failure to the 3rd power

This is the 3rd time in a row now that I've gone to use the Nav and it has failed to correctly or even incorrectly identify the address in which I'm intending to go to. It all could have been avoided if I was able to program an actual address, 123 SW 120th Ave, Miami, FL 33xxx, why no zip code option on the G's nav? This helps to avoid the City/State option all together especially when driving in large cities like Miami.

The first few times I used the voice to program an address it worked flawlessly, as long as it's a name, but if you dare to program a number (ie. 107th Ave) it fails to even function at that point. Try and throw a SW in front of that (SW 107th Ave) like the Nav suggest you do, it won't even pull a single street up. But now it wants you to say the FIRST letter of the street, that won't help.

Long story short, I finally programmed the address in my iPhone, showed me exactly where to go and gave me directions. Luckily I found a small named street adjacent to where I was headed so I could plug that into the Nav, what a joke.

iPhone FTW
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
stupid infiniti...
Old 05-25-2008, 09:22 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bro one time on my way home i clicked quickest route, and my god did it get me lost...terrible my girls blackberry got me home..
Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
first two times it didn't work for me but i realize that i didn't set it to central zone...it was on default west coast and didn't recognize anything i put in there...now it seems to do ok
Old 05-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Gday
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 1st day of work at my new job, i was out for lunch, i punched in taco bell, and the navi to me to taco bell headquarter in Irvine. HAHA!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 AM
Achilles

Fracking POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did the G35 Nav allow zip codes??
Old 05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
iceaffect1

i never have any problems with my nav. yours just sucks lol
Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
This is the 3rd time in a row now that I've gone to use the Nav and it has failed to correctly or even incorrectly identify the address in which I'm intending to go to. It all could have been avoided if I was able to program an actual address, 123 SW 120th Ave, Miami, FL 33xxx, why no zip code option on the G's nav? This helps to avoid the City/State option all together especially when driving in large cities like Miami.

The first few times I used the voice to program an address it worked flawlessly, as long as it's a name, but if you dare to program a number (ie. 107th Ave) it fails to even function at that point. Try and throw a SW in front of that (SW 107th Ave) like the Nav suggest you do, it won't even pull a single street up. But now it wants you to say the FIRST letter of the street, that won't help.

Long story short, I finally programmed the address in my iPhone, showed me exactly where to go and gave me directions. Luckily I found a small named street adjacent to where I was headed so I could plug that into the Nav, what a joke.

iPhone FTW

Diamond, can you not program the numbered addresses by manually entering them into the Nav or are talking about not being able to with the Voice command prompts??
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM
NJKSC27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed

nav looks good, nice graphics, lots of things to play with BUT its horrible. Dont get me wrong, any nav is good nav but i use my iphone more in the car then the nav. Kind of a letdown. Go play with an acura/honda nav and you will be blown away
Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Jerry

Lexis navi is pretty good too ..
Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Gday
Banned

This isn't new. Infiniti/Nissan is about 5 years behind the other manufacturers. Infiniti barely went "touchscreen/voice" last year... Honda went touchscreen back in 2002.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The Pioneer AVIC that I have in my Pathfinder is great. The graphics are much better in the G but the Pioneer just works 10 X better.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yoo its so pathetic!! i was on my way to infiniti service, pluged it in this fcuken navi got me lost going to INFINITI.. had me driving around in circles while its like 2 blocks off the block it told me its on. HOW PATHETIC
Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM
JonnyOzero3

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Interesting. I don't have the nav, but I read some article saying it was rated as one of the best OEM gps nav setups. Dang...guess that may have been a hasty conclusion!

Although, if the street your on isn't part of the mapped data, that could be part of the issue. I know there are lots of discussions about Navtec vs Tele Atlas data in the Garmin and TomTom standalone units, and sometimes there are differences in what newer streets are actually listed.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by JonnyOzero3
Interesting. I don't have the nav, but I read some article saying it was rated as one of the best OEM gps nav setups. Dang...guess that may have been a hasty conclusion!

Although, if the street your on isn't part of the mapped data, that could be part of the issue. I know there are lots of discussions about Navtec vs Tele Atlas data in the Garmin and TomTom standalone units, and sometimes there are differences in what newer streets are actually listed.
^^ User error plays a huge role.. After messing with my navi and learning how to use it correctly, it hasn't failed me yet.. The only time it has was when it took me to some restaurant that didn't exists any more.. It turned into a CVS drugstore...

Quick Reply: Nav = Epic Failure to the 3rd power