Sponsored By:

Dumping the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 02:41 PM
SAU5Y
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumping the clutch

Just wondering what RPM/gear you guys dump the clutch at when having a little fun at launch.

I have a killswitch wired in on the ground side of the STM bug underneath the cupholder so I’ve eliminated the yaw rate factor cutting fuel and 3500/4000 RPM/1st gives a nice spin up on launch but I tend to not like 1st gear too much in this car especially when pushing it.

I want to try 2nd but a little hesitant on if the clutch will actually engage a lower ratio on lets say a 5000-6000 drop. I feel like a 2nd engagement can eliminate that laggy 1st to 2nd shift when going head to head.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
With short rear gears, if I dump the clutch with TC off in first gear, I'll just spin, even with 275 rear summers. So typically I just walk it out of the hole as quickly as I can. Usually it works, but sometimes I just embarrass myself, LOL.

I suppose if I first did a burnout to heat up the rubber, the next launch would get more traction... at which point I might as well be at the dragstrip, right? And since these tires are freaking expensive, I can count on one hand the number of times I did a burnout intentionally, just because I can.

Dumping the clutch in 2nd gear? Never done that before. Doesn't feel like something I'd want to do. What happens?
Old 09-11-2023, 05:03 PM
SAU5Y
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
With short rear gears, if I dump the clutch with TC off in first gear, I'll just spin, even with 275 rear summers. So typically I just walk it out of the hole as quickly as I can. Usually it works, but sometimes I just embarrass myself, LOL.

I suppose if I first did a burnout to heat up the rubber, the next launch would get more traction... at which point I might as well be at the dragstrip, right? And since these tires are freaking expensive, I can count on one hand the number of times I did a burnout intentionally, just because I can.

Dumping the clutch in 2nd gear? Never done that before. Doesn't feel like something I'd want to do. What happens?
Haha I hear ya bro. Not really built for a drag strip. And hell yea tires ain't cheap. I’m on Indy500’s I will say best bang for your buck. Surprised they let go like they do even in 1st just so much rubber on them.

And it’s more just a lower ratio gear to drop the clutch into. I have dumped 2nd on my buddys F80 M3 and it spins for longer if not controlled and modulated but it does feel like a longer pull. Effectively eliminating 1 up shift if that makes sense. Drifters also do 2nd gear drops