G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Getting the G37S in Taiwan, my first impressions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 AM
milelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting the G37S in Taiwan, my first impressions..

Hi everyone, i am still a newbie here and want to thank you all first for all the great info on this site which helped me to make my decision for the car.

I now work and live in Taiwan, the car just went on sale here and I’ve got one of the first IP G37S. We only get one trim here, that’s 5AT with sport package and 4WAS. We don’t get Nav or technology option here. I was quite disappointed to hear about the 5AT so I was going to give up and get something else. The test car came yesterday and I know the dealer very well was lucky to take an extensive test drive alone and made my deposit afterwards.

For reference, my last car in the states was a fully built turbocharged 99’ Honda Prelude 5sp that made about 350 WHP and 300 WTQ on pump gas. It’s more of a semi built race car with no A/C. I love cars and work for an auto parts/race parts manufacture here and have driven pretty much all Japanese and German sport cars.

My first impression was how the VQ37 differs from the 35HR and the DE. The 35 is a very unique engine in that it has a very nice flat torque feel that you rarely find in Japanese engines. It pulls nicely but after 5k, you really don’t get much except the exhaust note. The 37 is quite different, it actually feels weaker in lower revs but it pulls very nice all the way to the limiter. Its very rev happy, it actually felt like a big displacement Honda and that’s a good thing. It’s also much smoother and refined with a nicer (IMO) exhaust note that resembles a high revving German NA machine. VVEL has changed the character of this motor greatly and I am sure it will get better in the future, especially in the low and mid range. However, the complexity of the cam design will probably limit NA tuning to simple bolt-ons only.

The transmission was a lot better then I expect. Delay is much improved then the last G and the paddles are much intuitive then BMW’s push and pull design. Rev matching is not quite manually heel –toe it yourself but its very impressive for a car in this price range. I wish the gears were a bit shorter and tighter but for those that have a 6spd, a lighter flywheel will make you feel better. And of course, I wish it was a 6spd auto. This is prob the biggest weak point for the car from an marketing standpoint. The brakes were average despites its gorgeous looks, it felt constant and even but not as sharp as I expected. Again, weight kills. But I am sure a set of nice pads or set of lighter wheels will help solve this problem.

The chassis in general, felt very solid and much improved then the last coupe. It feels much lighter then the last car despite the weight and the steering is very direct and much precise then the last G.. Track goers will probably want it to be abit tighter and heavier but its nerveless great. The steering it not quite quick and direct as something like the EVO but I honestly don’t feel 335i has an edge here like most magazine suggests. The ride to me is just perfect for a stock car and its much more performance focused then most stock Nissans I have driven. With this said, this car is not built for tight corners (prob due to the long wheelbase and weight). Other FR options like the 335i, S2000, or the RX8 will feel much livelier. However, the new G is very good at high-speed and wider corners. Very flat and stable and the new VQ just makes u want to keep going. To get the G37 to slide its rear its quite different then the last G.. I tried it on the industrial roads and took sometime to get it slide. You have to kind of swing the weight beforehand and get on power later to get the car go sideways. The limit is still quite predictable but if drifting is what you love, the old G will be easier to play with and easier to get bigger drift angles.

For the time I have with the car I can’t say too much about 4WAS but it does feel abit different. I will say however, it’s by no means as bad as some magazines suggests. I will write about this new tech once I get more time with the car.

I will leave out the exterior, interior etc because others do a much better job explaining. But I will say its very very nice and the car is beautiful. Prob a little too nice for what I am use to. I will be picking the car up tommor and hopefully learn more about the car.

Thanks for reading.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:56 AM
anotha

There is no g37w/manual tranny nav or tech package availiable at all or just at the moment?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:33 AM
milelin

no...we will not get those options. The 350Z and the G35 coupe sold here are also all autos. Most people here use aftermaket nav anyways since its much cheaper and work just as good
Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Dxb2

Thank You . a Great review , I hope you enjoy the car which am sure you will
Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 PM
sanscu

Taiwan!!! I bet it's fun driving a G37 over there by the shorelines. Maybe a pic will make us more jealous about your whole setup over there. Is it right hand drive? Just curious?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
cool... nice review. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Orbie

Good review, strange to hear about the package limitations though, we have something similar in Canada but it's the opposite. You can get Nav and Tech but if you want one you have to have both. You can opt to have 4WAS or not however.

Reading about your experiences with handling, I'm willing to bet alot of the concerns your having, particularly in the drifting and getting the rear end to kick out has to do directly with 4WAS. Too bad you don't have a non-4WAS model to try out, my experience with both models was exactly what you have described (and probably what the magazines are talking about as well). The car can perform high speed lane changes very quickly, but it feel very strange almost like a crab walk. With any type of sharp turn however I found it's more unsettling than anything, and it's tough to get the rear to kick out since the 4WAS is counteracting the physics of the motion.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 AM
milelin

yea..the market is alot smaller then the states so we dont get many options from most manufactures. We actually only got 50 G37s for the year. This is the second day they are on sale and half are already gone. btw, the price difference between the G37 and the 335 in Taiwan is about $25,000US.. yea thats rite, you can get another car with that money. The difference is magnified by our super high 100% import tax and the fact that bmw and benz charges a huge premium here. So if you consider cost, G37 will blow the bimmer away in terms of bang for the buck. To give you an idea, the new M3 goes for 160k here. Yea.. i miss the states..

oh.. and we are left hand drive. I will take some pics and write more about the car once i get a chance. I will be traveling to vegas next week for SEMA so might take a while. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

That was very honest and accurate review and is much appreciated coming from someone with obvious knowledge and expansive experience. My only issue to date under aggressive driving is the light steering feel at times. This car is a high-reving beast and likes it up there in the high rpms which is fine with me. It wants to be driven hard and it has been getting better and better with more miles. Enjoy SEMA and enjoy that G.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review! I agree that the steering does feel a litle light.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 AM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thumbs up for another twnese!!!!! u car must be hella sick in Taiwan.

I didnt know tat they didnt sell stick G35s and 350Zs in taiwan.
I guess my friend brought in his 350Z from here then..
Nice choice of color though!!
Hope you enjoy the car alot!!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
milelin

just pick the car up guys.. this is my first new car so was very excited. i am actually the first one to get plates for it here so was extra special... i had more time today to fully appreciate the seats and the interior.. very nice. I thought about the whole purchase expireance and felt great. The only stock car u can get for the money that has a SIGNIFICANT performance edge is the EVO and STi, i love them for what they are but i guess i am getting older and the G felt so refined its almost in a different class..

gan78mao- we do have 350z and G35 here. both only offered with 5AT. The 350Z also gets the bembo brakes but it cost around 7k over the G37 for some reason that i dont quite get..
Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by milelin
just pick the car up guys.. this is my first new car so was very excited. i am actually the first one to get plates for it here so was extra special... i had more time today to fully appreciate the seats and the interior.. very nice. I thought about the whole purchase expireance and felt great. The only stock car u can get for the money that has a SIGNIFICANT performance edge is the EVO and STi, i love them for what they are but i guess i am getting older and the G felt so refined its almost in a different class..

gan78mao- we do have 350z and G35 here. both only offered with 5AT. The 350Z also gets the bembo brakes but it cost around 7k over the G37 for some reason that i dont quite get..
yea his 350z is a stick! so im pretty sure he imported the car back from US coz he used to be in US.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 AM
milelin

oh. you can also do a manual swap here which is very popular for the z and g here
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Keng

When I went back to Taiwan during the summer, I saw maybe one or two G35, but I saw plenty of IS250. Lot rich people now So how you hanging out in Taiwan?

Quick Reply: Getting the G37S in Taiwan, my first impressions..