Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

whats ds mode?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
ABQG35c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, The paddles and DS mode I believe are Journey Sport models only. Or maybe the DS mode is available, but the paddles aren't. I know the paddles are only offered on the Journey Sport, and I know the manual-matic mode is on all of them, Just not sure if its a "sport tune" shifting, Like not being as aggressive.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Orbie

I'm pretty sure you'll see the same DS mode on non-sport models, it's the same 5AT throughout the range. You just don't get the paddle shifters. To tell you the truth I only use the lever shifter, although the reaction time from the paddles seems to be faster.

I wouldn't give up the LSD, 19's, brakes, suspension etc. that on the sport package though.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM
moridin5

Mars and Garnet: Yep..that's what I was talking about. I hadn't left it in a gear long enough to see that the car will take back over and put it into "D." lol...To be honest, the first time I tried it and it actually shifted I kinda thought I'd screwed something up. Salesman explained to me it will *only* shift manually if it's first in DS mode...so of course I had to test that theory out and then I was thinking "oh crap, what'd I just do?!"
Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
btg123

Today I accidentally shifted my AT into "DS" mode and the diff was unbelievable. Downshifts are spot on under breaking/corners and acceleration is much more aggresive. Doubt I will ever go back to standard-auto mode. Yes, the manual states it is for use on "hilly terrain"/"winding roads," but that is basically saying the tranny will maintain lower gears longer. I heard the "DS" mode was an experiment by Infiniti-if so, I hope they keep option and continue to improve on it. Its ideal for city driving.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:09 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Yep, DS is da bomb
Old 08-09-2008, 01:35 PM
btg123

BTW Chi-Town, i almost bought a BO/graph-sport until dealer realized the car was purchased 10 mins earlier. I settled for AG/stone-journey with all options (felt softer suspension was ideal for me b/c ATL roads suck). I had not regrets (AG is rare color for G37 in ATL) until a guy in my same complex rolled up in the same car you have (just had his windows tinted last week). BO/Graph is damn good choice. First time I regretted not shopping around...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by btg123
BTW Chi-Town, i almost bought a BO/graph-sport until dealer realized the car was purchased 10 mins earlier. I settled for AG/stone-journey with all options (felt softer suspension was ideal for me b/c ATL roads suck). I had not regrets (AG is rare color for G37 in ATL) until a guy in my same complex rolled up in the same car you have (just had his windows tinted last week). BO/Graph is damn good choice. First time I regretted not shopping around...
I just spent all day cleaning/waxing so you probably wouldn't have missed that! I like every color this thing comes in and just wish I would see more on the road around here... well, on second thought nah!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
DS blows man, once you've driven a stick in this car, DS is a joke...

I wish Infiniti would come out with an SMG transmission like the BMW M series, or the DSG in the Audi's.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
DS blows man, once you've driven a stick in this car, DS is a joke...
1. Please don't turn this into another useless AT vs. MT thread.
2. DS is NOT a joke, and if you've driven the 5AT in DS mode you'd understand that it's a lot of fun for an automatic tranny.
3. Driving in DS mode is the most aggressive shifting I've encountered in ANY automatic tranny I've ever driven.

And for the record, I am a life long manual driver and that's always been my first preference........but I just hate when people automatically talk smack just because a car is an AT.
The following users liked this post:
Ethan112597 (12-02-2019)
Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 AM
prutkows

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
1. Please don't turn this into another useless AT vs. MT thread.
2. DS is NOT a joke, and if you've driven the 5AT in DS mode you'd understand that it's a lot of fun for an automatic tranny.
3. Driving in DS mode is the most aggressive shifting I've encountered in ANY automatic tranny I've every driven.

And for the record, I am a life long manual driver and that's always been my first preference........but I just hate when people automatically talk smack just because a car is an AT.
DS ftw.
DS and manual mode are a big reason why my car says i average like 13.9 mpg. that and mostly city driving. and the fact that i only have 2k miles on it.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

I am not smack talking AT, because I have one!!! LOL
Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
I am not smack talking AT, because I have one!!! LOL
My apologies for coming off the way that I did in my previous post, I didn't mean to jump on you about it.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

No probs, but for sure the DS mode shifts better with the grounding kit... you guy's should get it.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
jerryr

Non-Sport Does Have DS

Just FYI, I don't have the paddles but I do have DS and use it every day.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Hoki

Actually, after 2nd gear on tip it's not too fun.

DS = Sickness and Launch.

Quick Reply: whats ds mode?