MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Convertible (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible-349/)
-   -   Open top won't cycle past PARCEL SHELF retract (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible/291281-open-top-wont-cycle-past-parcel-shelf-retract.html)

atlbuckeye 01-07-2019 11:13 AM

Open top won't cycle past PARCEL SHELF retract

I have my 2010 G37 convertible in the shop right now and the dealer says they "cannot" get it open. I am not confident that they even attempted to "manually open" the top (using their computer diag too) OR disconnecting the battery cable and waiting 10 minutes to "reset/relearn" the process.

It seems to be getting stuck at the point where the "parcel shelf" move to horizontal and then is suppose to move down/retract .

The service advisor says "that'll be about $3500 to fix the hydrolics, it's all one system"
Does that seem to be a big price?
Is a whole system replace really needed or should there be a better diagnostic option/solution for a component instead of "all or nothing"???

I asked if he could manually retract and fix the leak (seal is loose between the front window/1st panel) and then button it up???
They said " Hrmm...maybe -- that'll be like $600 and you wont' be able to use it as a convertible"

Any input/thoughts would be appreciated --- I live in Atlanta GA and have the option to go to 3 other infiniti dealers for a second opinion too.

Skhan 01-09-2019 06:51 PM

Hey, Sorry to hear about you issue, brought back some bad memories

I bought my 2010 vert last year and had nothing but problems, the dealer quoted me the exact same thing, but even then, they weren't certain it would fix the problem.

My problem was, the convertible top would work when it wants, and would stop almost always when closing the top, after the trunk lid opens.

I know the issue your having is a bit different, but I was able to resolve my issue myself.

I got my hands on the Nissan Consult 3 tool, which the dealers use to manually operate the top, and what I found was, on the rear drivers side, where the trunk opens, there are certain parts that have black electrical tape. Some of the tape got old and dry and was no longer sticking.

I cut all the old tape, but everything make together and did a relearn from the Nissan Consult, and that fixed my issue. The tool is an absolute must to own, it makes your life so much easier, rather then having to get it taken to Infiniti/Nissan for every issue.

If you are interested in purchasing the tool, let me know. I can get my hands on some more.

Hope this helps!

rdog 01-10-2019 08:07 PM

Holy crap! I had the exact same problem that skhan had and did the same thing but without the tool. I had some of the black tape wear off and frayed some wires causing the issue. Cleaned up the wires and retaped it and haven't had an issue since, where can I get the to mentioned?

dannyp513 02-06-2019 01:09 PM

How much is the tool? my top stopped working,

teahead 02-06-2019 07:18 PM

Man, you guys got pictures of this wiring? Thinking as a preventative measure, to re-tape it w/some plastic conduit over it.

3BOSH 03-15-2019 03:53 AM

i have been looking for a while for something for my 10' vert to diagnose stuff
is this consult 3 the better option ? or is it just for the roof (which probably is the most unique)
pics of the wires and tapes would be appreciated

Papa 10 03-12-2020 02:15 PM

Where did you get it?

Rootski 03-03-2022 05:12 PM

Same issue

Originally Posted by rdog (Post 4227453)
Holy crap! I had the exact same problem that skhan had and did the same thing but without the tool. I had some of the black tape wear off and frayed some wires causing the issue. Cleaned up the wires and retaped it and haven't had an issue since, where can I get the to mentioned?

First can you get me one of the tools? And the wires do you have a picture of where you retaped them? Thanks Rootski

Rootski 03-03-2022 05:14 PM

Hi there can I get one of those tools from you? Thanks Rootski

ILM-NC G37S 03-03-2022 05:24 PM

CNAutoTool
This one has been proven to work with these 'Verts.

n559br 03-03-2022 07:07 PM

This isn't just a tool. You'll need a computer and some skill to use the consult software. It isn't too bad, but you can put the top into some bad spots of not careful.

The CNAuto tool does work as a consult III clone and can tell you what is wrong with the top. And yes it works with the whole car, not just the top.

Crunk 09-14-2022 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Skhan (Post 4227265)
Hey, Sorry to hear about you issue, brought back some bad memories

I bought my 2010 vert last year and had nothing but problems, the dealer quoted me the exact same thing, but even then, they weren't certain it would fix the problem.

My problem was, the convertible top would work when it wants, and would stop almost always when closing the top, after the trunk lid opens.

I know the issue your having is a bit different, but I was able to resolve my issue myself.

I got my hands on the Nissan Consult 3 tool, which the dealers use to manually operate the top, and what I found was, on the rear drivers side, where the trunk opens, there are certain parts that have black electrical tape. Some of the tape got old and dry and was no longer sticking.

I cut all the old tape, but everything make together and did a relearn from the Nissan Consult, and that fixed my issue. The tool is an absolute must to own, it makes your life so much easier, rather then having to get it taken to Infiniti/Nissan for every issue.

If you are interested in purchasing the tool, let me know. I can get my hands on some more.

Hope this helps!

How did you learn to use the tool?

blackandwhite 11-02-2022 02:26 PM

Does anyone have a picture of these wires or a most exact description of where they are located?

kiseliok 11-02-2022 08:03 PM

Open the trunk, look toward the back seat, there are 2 rails for the parcel shelf. Look at the top of the left rail, slightly to the right - there is a plastic cover for a wire bundle. As far as I've seen, that's where most of the roof wiring issues are coming from.

Ryry 11-28-2022 03:06 PM

Consuktb3!

Hey hey there .. same issue for me …. I’d like to find out if you have another consult 3 tool or might know where I can get my hands on one ?

Originally Posted by Skhan (Post 4227265)
Hey, Sorry to hear about Tt you issue, brought back some bad memories

Hope this helps!