G37 brakes need replaced after 9k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 PM
jrr6415sun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 brakes need replaced after 9k miles

I got new rotors and pads installed about 2 years ago for $500 at a dealership. 9K miles later and I can hear scraping when I brake and they are telling me the front ones need to be replaced again.

Is it possible that after 9k miles they need to be replaced again even with heavy braking (I do not brake hard at all), or did they do something wrong? I thought I should get like 30-50K miles out of new ones. Do brake pads have any warranty?

I don't plan on replacing the pads myself.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by jrr6415sun
I got new rotors and pads installed about 2 years ago for $500 at a dealership. 9K miles later and I can hear scraping when I brake and they are telling me the front ones need to be replaced again.

Is it possible that after 9k miles they need to be replaced again even with heavy braking (I do not brake hard at all), or did they do something wrong? I thought I should get like 30-50K miles out of new ones. Do brake pads have any warranty?

I don't plan on replacing the pads myself.

On my 06 G35 6 speed my brakes were first replaced and rotors turned at 86k miles. Those OEM pads and rotors were still on my vehicle when I traded it in at 171796 miles for my 2012 G37S 6 speed. The OEM pads and rotors were on that vehicle when I traded that vehicle in at 94.4k miles with 6mm left on the pads.

I suspect it is your driving style that is the problem?

Are you one of those that accelerates sharply when a traffic light turns green only to brake heavy at the next light? Many traffic lights are timed for the speed limit and if you exceed it from one light to the next all you are going to do is provide excessive brake wear on your vehicle.

I see many vehicles in front of me having brake lights come on while driving when braking is not even necessary.

Telcoman
Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
^or those people who like to speed towards a red light or a car that is in front of them then slam/ ride the brake. i see loads of people doing this kind of driving. makes no sense to me
Old 05-23-2018, 11:04 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Either the driving style or the pads were misaligned somehow during the initial install. Although if that was the case, I'd expect you to feel the "dragging" or sluggishness, especially while cruising.
These pads should last for quite a long time though..
Old 05-24-2018, 05:29 AM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I suspect the stealership didn't replace the pads as they may have been within allowable size limits or they didn't actually have replacement pads.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Kickinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Autocutter
I suspect the stealership didn't replace the pads as they may have been within allowable size limits or they didn't actually have replacement pads.

I know the easiest answer is always to blame the dealership for doing a "shady" brake job, but keep in mind that it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the abnormal brake wear is due in part to OP's driving habits, or a caliper with stuck sliding pins. Judging by the fact that OP only drives 9K in TWO years, I feel that it is likely a sticking or stuck caliper(s).

Most dealer techs aren't smart enough to tell the difference though, I will give you that. That's why I would suggest interviewing your service techs before leaving your investment to some hack.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:05 PM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Around here import car dealerships, frequently don't stock sufficient numbers of high wear items here and while they say the replaced those with oem parts many times they either don't actually replace or if they do they may use low quality non-oem parts since they make a better profit and they don't have to wait wait for parts to be shipped. Now here in St Pete, Fl this issues isn't limited to Asian dealerships I mean even Porsche have done this to me!

What I do these days is mark the part or parts that should be replaced (assuming I actually know what the real issue is) since I was ripped off a couple of times with my G37vert. When I had my 40,000 mile service even tho I was charged for the Interior filters replacements (includes the a/c seat air filters) the filters weren't changed according to the rep since they were "clean" however the mechanic stated they didn't have them in stock. So I had to talk to the manager who had the order the filters and a month later they changed them.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Years ago, paid for a brake fluid flush while pads/rotors replaced & resurfaced. Later (6 months or so), when flushing the fluid myself on the other axle I figured it wouldn't hurt to crack the already bled bleeders too. The fluid from all bleeders was equally dark/black. This is ~1500 miles after the original brake work was done (car isn't driven much). No way does that happen with such short mileage.

Marking parts is a good way to ensure they're getting replaced. Albeit, if you're going to mark the cabin air filter, might as well replace that yourself. Same for engine air. In fact, from a maintenance perspective, this is an extremely easy car to work on.