Sport package in 2010 37 coupe vs sport package in 2010 37 vert

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:14 AM
icanzu
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport package in 2010 37 coupe vs sport package in 2010 37 vert

Ok, I just read thread from back in 2009 where a member was trying to decide whether to buy an 09 37 convertible with the sport package or without the sport package. One of the posters suggested that the convertible sport package is different in that it did not include the upgraded suspension or the limited slip differential as the coupe and the sedan do. So... The reason I’m asking for some feedback here is because I just purchased a 2010 37S vert and called the infinity dealership and gave them the Vin number specifically to find out whether the sport package in my convertible does in fact have both the upgraded suspension mods as well as the limited slip differential along with the brakes wheels etc . He said it definitely did have the full suspension and diff upgrades as well. So my question now is whether the guy who posted that had it wrong or whether my service manager at Infiniti has it wrong? Or... was the poster in the thread correct but just specific to the 2009?

Last edited by icanzu; 03-17-2018 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I've always been under the impression that the 'vert got all the same sport goodies as the S coupe and sedan with the exception of the LSD, and that was because the 'vert had more aggressive gearing to offset the increased weight
Old 03-18-2018, 01:49 AM
icanzu
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've always been under the impression that the 'vert got all the same sport goodies as the S coupe and sedan with the exception of the LSD, and that was because the 'vert had more aggressive gearing to offset the increased weight
i see...I guess I’m not sure how the more aggressive gearing and a higher reving engine would have less need for a LSD...? I’d almost think the opposite. I don’t make the connection. Can you elaborate?
thnx
Old 03-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I think it's just Nissan being cheap
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The shorter final drive in the Vert rear gears is only in the 6MT Vert. (3.916 precisely.) The AT vert has the same rear end regardless of sport package. And yeah, the 6MT Vert doesn't have LSD. Never understood why.

https://www.infinitihelp.com/models/...ifications.php

However, I'd welcome some schooling from Vert members.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 AM
icanzu
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The shorter final drive in the Vert rear gears is only in the 6MT Vert. (3.916 precisely.) The AT vert has the same rear end regardless of sport package. And yeah, the 6MT Vert doesn't have LSD. Never understood why.

https://www.infinitihelp.com/models/...ifications.php

However, I'd welcome some schooling from Vert members.
Actually I'm the one who needs schooling. Your post was a bit confusing to me. I guess I'm still not sure whether my AT Vert S has a LSD or not. I saw your data sheets but they didn't answer that for me. Just the comparison of what I presume are the different gear ratios are between the two
Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by icanzu
Actually I'm the one who needs schooling. Your post was a bit confusing to me. I guess I'm still not sure whether my AT Vert S has a LSD or not. I saw your data sheets but they didn't answer that for me. Just the comparison of what I presume are the different gear ratios are between the two
I'm not sure, which is why I said a Vert expert needs to weigh in. All I know is that your AT Vert has the same rear gear & pinion final drive ratio as an AT Coupe (regardless of sport package.) So all things being equal in the engine and drivetrain, if you drove your Vert side-by-side with an AT Coupe, you'd think your Vert was slower... because 400 pounds is way more than a side-salad.

However, if you drove a 6MT Vert side-by-side with a 6MT Coupe/Sedan, then you'd probably think they perform pretty much the same, because the 6MT Vert has shorter rear gears to compensate for the added weight. Granted, you'd be keenly aware of how much weight you're throwing around, but you knew that getting into the car.

Seems you need a definitive answer to the question: does the RWD Vert Sport Package with an Automatic Transmission have Limited Slip? Well, you could use the weight of that beast to lay down some rubber and see what you did.

Also, people make a fuss about the Sport package, assuming it has an "upgraded suspension", when in reality the only upgrade is Tokico dampers instead of basic Nissan dampers. The real upgrades in the Sport Package on the RWD G37 is the close-ratio steering rack, and the BBK. Sport seats are nice too, I suppose.

Here's a good video on the mechanics of VLSD:

Last edited by Rochester; 03-20-2018 at 08:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kiseliok (04-01-2018)

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 AM
icanzu
Registered Member

Smile

"Seems you need a definitive answer to the question: does the RWD Vert Sport Package with an Automatic Transmission have Limited Slip? Well, you could use the weight of that beast to lay down some rubber and see what you did."

You mean I can lay a patch with this thing...?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by icanzu
You mean I can lay a patch with this thing...?
Sure. Turn off TC and go crazy.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Sure. Turn off TC and go crazy.
First time or two be sure you're in a nice open area
Old 03-22-2018, 05:13 PM
icanzu
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
First time or two be sure you're in a nice open area
Yes indeed! I'll take it out to where I practice vehicle control...and donuts on snow and ice. It's amazing how light posts can follow you around in those situations. I've searched here to find out whether these monsters could actually be thrown into a drift but hadn't found anything. Enough power with the 7AT without TC to actually get a decent drift going? Probably wouldn't wast a whole lotta rubber on it but would be nice to know.