Thinking of buying a G37

Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 PM
New B in G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a G37

Hello all, I’m thinking of buying a G37 definetly a convertible. At first I wanted a 1000hp build until I read a thread on this forum and saw that it’s basically retarded so I want to ask you guys if you have any suggestion on how I should build it. I’ve never built before I know I want a car to cruise around in and eat up open roads occasionally but mostly to cruise and go to meets to mingle. How do you guys suggest I start off.

Ps I’m going automatic bc I’ve never driven stick.
( please don’t bite my head off )
Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Well, neither the engine nor transmission will support anywhere near a thousand hp. Full bolt-ons and tune can get you to about 330 to the wheels. It'll take forced induction to get further gains. Then you're stuck with the 7AT that cries "uncle" at about 400 hp.

You'll have to be more specific in re "eat up roads". Do you mean straight line speed or do you mean handling?
The following users liked this post:
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:15 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
As someone who has never built a car up before, and has never taken the time to learn stick (no judgement), I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're new to the enthusiast scene. It's my opinion, that you wet your beak with this car in stock form first. I think you'll find that there's more than enough power there to get you in trouble. That 330-350 HP figure is quite deceptive.
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:18 AM
New B in G

Originally Posted by RMB5190
As someone who has never built a car up before, and has never taken the time to learn stick (no judgement), I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're new to the enthusiast scene. It's my opinion, that you wet your beak with this car in stock form first. I think you'll find that there's more than enough power there to get you in trouble. That 330-350 HP figure is quite deceptive.

thank you yea I am very new to the enthusiast scene I was pretty much asking what are some things to look forward to doing to better increase handling, ride performance and power but I definitely plan on “ getting my beak wet first”
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM
New B in G

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Well, neither the engine nor transmission will support anywhere near a thousand hp. Full bolt-ons and tune can get you to about 330 to the wheels. It'll take forced induction to get further gains. Then you're stuck with the 7AT that cries "uncle" at about 400 hp.

You'll have to be more specific in re "eat up roads". Do you mean straight line speed or do you mean handling?

well taking into into consideration what you just told me I take it that I have no other choice than to eat up the road in handling but if possible I would like to eventually max out the power to at least 700 to the wheel
Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by New B in G

well taking into into consideration what you just told me I take it that I have no other choice than to eat up the road in handling but if possible I would like to eventually max out the power to at least 700 to the wheel
Not to poo poo your aspirations, but I don't think 700RWHP is realistic on this chassis.
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:36 AM
New B in G

Originally Posted by Hashim
Not to poo poo your aspirations, but I don't think 700RWHP is realistic on this chassis.

well im definelty here to listen to people who know what they’re talking about. So what do you think would be more logical? Would I have to change the chassis ( idk how difficult it would be ) or do I just do what I can with the original chassis which I believe you said would barley handle 400
Old 02-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by New B in G

well im definelty here to listen to people who know what they’re talking about. So what do you think would be more logical? Would I have to change the chassis ( idk how difficult it would be ) or do I just do what I can with the original chassis which I believe you said would barley handle 400
referring to chassis I mean the car as a whole... not something to change...I don't know who said it above but I think the numbers in the 400 something range on stock internals and transmission are realistic and higher if you upgrade the transmission and build the engine...at that point the rest of the drive train and the car in general may be the limiting factors. its a matter of severely diminishing returns at that point given that these cars are designed around technology that is about a decade old...

anyways welcome to the site and have fun digging around in the forums, there tons of threads over last 8-9 years on this subject.

For what its worth, in my experience these cars don't need any more power than they come with. most people don;t have the skill to drive them anywhere near their limits with a few suspension/brake and tire upgrades
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:52 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Motor will handle the power up until 500-550whp 'safely' if the tune is solid. Anything after that, a built motor should be considered but the VQ has proven to handle 600+ on stock internals...I just wouldn't bet on it remaining handling it every single day. If you go with the auto transmission 300 ft. lb. is the magic number before things start to break. You can buy time with a cooler but Level10 seems to be the way to go if you wanna ball out. Take a look at the 370z forum. You'll find those are the guys who are testing the powertrain limitations more so than the G members.

Like Hashim touched on, it's everything around the power train you have to really be concerned with. Since you're interested in the convertible, you'll be further limited since the support just isn't there for them; I'm pretty sure there's some dimensional issues that come into play with part compatibility with them and the coupe and sedan.

The G platform is definitely there if you want to go FI. You bolster everything else like suspension, brakes, tires, transmission, etc... you can take the G to 500whp for about $15-20k. At that point though, I'd agree with Hashim that the costs out weight the benefits. A 10 year old car that looks good, is comfortable, reliable and throws down 500 horses for $40-45k is impressive. Throw another $10k or so on top if you go built and you have to wonder what other options are out there...that's GT350 money at that point...
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM
New B in G

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Motor will handle the power up until 500-550whp 'safely' if the tune is solid. Anything after that, a built motor should be considered but the VQ has proven to handle 600+ on stock internals...I just wouldn't bet on it remaining handling it every single day. If you go with the auto transmission 300 ft. lb. is the magic number before things start to break. You can buy time with a cooler but Level10 seems to be the way to go if you wanna ball out. Take a look at the 370z forum. You'll find those are the guys who are testing the powertrain limitations more so than the G members.

Like Hashim touched on, it's everything around the power train you have to really be concerned with. Since you're interested in the convertible, you'll be further limited since the support just isn't there for them; I'm pretty sure there's some dimensional issues that come into play with part compatibility with them and the coupe and sedan.

The G platform is definitely there if you want to go FI. You bolster everything else like suspension, brakes, tires, transmission, etc... you can take the G to 500whp for about $15-20k. At that point though, I'd agree with Hashim that the costs out weight the benefits. A 10 year old car that looks good, is comfortable, reliable and throws down 500 horses for $40-45k is impressive. Throw another $10k or so on top if you go built and you have to wonder what other options are out there...that's GT350 money at that point...
tgank you I think I might just settle with the power that comes with it and just tune it all for a better drive experience I really just want a nice hardtop convertible to introduce me into the enthusiast world
Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

be sure to warranty the hard top - can be pricey if something happens with it. Nice to have the warranty to fall back on
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:41 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
For Power: Start off with some intakes - cat back exhaust (Maybe high flow cats or test pipes if you don't mind the drone)

For Handling: Get some sway bars and a strut bar (you can also skip this and get some good coilovers to improve your handling )

Start with this and see how you like it
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:55 PM
New B in G

Originally Posted by 2011-G
For Power: Start off with some intakes - cat back exhaust (Maybe high flow cats or test pipes if you don't mind the drone)

For Handling: Get some sway bars and a strut bar (you can also skip this and get some good coilovers to improve your handling )

Start with this and see how you like it
what can I research to find out what parts do certain things to the car
Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
This should help..
http://bfy.tw/Gfdm
New B in G (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:39 AM
New B in G