Newbie top operation/broken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:24 AM
kend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie top operation/broken?

I just bought an '11 G37 convertible at an auction knowing nothing about it and am trying to operate the roof. When I push the button, the windows all go down and the trunk flips down behind the rear bumper and then there is a clicking noise above the rear view mirror (about 10 fast clicks) then nothing. It does start doing a slow beep a minute after that.

Does the dealership have some kind of diagnosis tool? Will they tell me anything or should I just start studying diagrams? Are there any fuses I should check? Just trying to find a starting place.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 PM
daryn67

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It could be all kinds of different things. The first thing to check is the status of the main car battery. If it's wearing down the amount of power draw from the top can cause issues. Try to charge it up or even replace it. There are cases where things have to be reprogramed. That can get dramatically expensive. This forum provides many tips and do some research from former posts and you might find some tips! Good luck
Old 09-09-2017, 12:05 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by kend
I just bought an '11 G37 convertible at an auction knowing nothing about it and am trying to operate the roof. When I push the button, the windows all go down and the trunk flips down behind the rear bumper and then there is a clicking noise above the rear view mirror (about 10 fast clicks) then nothing. It does start doing a slow beep a minute after that.

Does the dealership have some kind of diagnosis tool? Will they tell me anything or should I just start studying diagrams? Are there any fuses I should check? Just trying to find a starting place.
The starting place should have been a complete inspection at an Infiniti dealer checking the VIN number and original purchase location.

Perhaps you purchased a flood vehicle?

There were over 500,000 of them from Hurricane Sandy and the auction is where flood and accident vehicles end up.

The dealer has the Consult lll that should be able to give you a diagnosis

You could start with reading the FSM

Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
I'd try a basic obdII tool first - see if there are any active codes.
Then it's a dealer trip.
Best case - reprogram.
Worst case - hydraulic pump. (Although I'm sure there are even worse cases..)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:49 PM
kend

I dropped it at the local dealer this morning (Grubbs Infiniti) $175 inspection that would apply towards fix. Should know something tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Good luck. when my battery had to be replaced I got the most power recommended because of the power draw.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM
kend

Well, the dealer quit returning calls so I just showed up to get my car (needed it for work). It looked like it had been sitting in the body shop next to a sander (I hope its not paint). They swore the windows were not down the whole time, its hard to tell since my interior is the same color as the dust that covers the car. They have me a list of things including tires (mine are brand new Nittos) that needed to be replaced totaling almost $5000. Most of that is the $3500 front roof mechanism.

I agreed to pay them $175 beforehand to diagnose why the front roof mechanism would not work and they came back 5 days later with 'we only replace the whole thing'....did I need to pay you to tell me that???

Does anyone knows of someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that can repair the front latch that is not the Infiniti dealer? ...and where a really good car wash is...
Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 PM
andresg37

Originally Posted by Pnrymmf
Good luck. when my battery had to be replaced I got the most power recommended because of the power draw.
Which battery did you get. This is going to be my last resort before taking my car into the dealer.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:15 PM
kend

Originally Posted by andresg37
Which battery did you get. This is going to be my last resort before taking my car into the dealer.
I put a jump box on mine to rule out battery, but if you want to get something powerful Northstar NSB-AGM 24F would do it or an Optima yellow top
Old 09-29-2017, 04:11 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The roof front latch mechanism should be an easy fix for a competent car electrician/mechanic.
He just need to be very careful while removing the roof front trim with the roof closed.
If can't be fixed and you need to replace the latch hooks, rods or motor, you can find that parts way cheaper than the dealer prices.