Coils on!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:58 AM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The rear spring height adjustment is as high as it will go right now to compensate for having to do extra duty, making up for the OEM shock. The coupe's lower control arms utilize a fork-style mounting point for this shock. On the vert however, the lower control arm uses an eyelet style mounting point like what the front lower control arms use. I'm waiting for a set of these eyelet style lower mounts to put on the rear shocks. After they are on, I should be able to back down the height adjustment for the spring.

With all that being said, I've very satisfied with the ride and handling I get, with the exception being that right now the rear of the car feels slightly 'floaty'. I've confirmed that the part, (SPS18-Q7513- LOWER B/K ASSY Z34/V36-F FLZ WITH BUSH), does in fact fit and function. It's just a matter of a distributor getting them from Tein, then sending them to a vendor, and me getting them from the vendor.

Once ALL the parts are green I plan on getting everything aligned and putting the car through it's paces. I feel I will enjoy it and be very satisfied with the ride.

If your wanting to just buy a kit and throw it on, this probally isn't the path for you as of right now. If I can find some contacts I'm going to research another possible option being that on Tein Japans' website they offer another variation of the 2013 370GT kit. It's specified as a kit for the 370GT Hybrid I think? The same kit part number is ordered for most all G37s/G35's, but there is at least one 370GT kit that uses a different part number and may come with lower brackets different from the coupe kit.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:43 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE TO THE UPDATE

Several vendors later, I found a shop to order the parts for me. Sounds like the distributer is pulling the lower brackets from a shelved kit to replace mine. Thus, I don't have to wait for them to come all the way from Japan. So, about 10 days from now they will be at the shop and I can pick them up or get them shipped to my door.

Man! This has stretched out waaaay longer than I thought it would. Why are the lower control arms for verts different than the ones on coupes, anyway? I mean, I'm sure there is a reason, I just want to know.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I would assume it's due to the increased curb weight for the vert vs. the coupe & sedan models.

At least it sounds like your persistence is about to pay off, look forward to the final chapter
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:09 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Hah! I was expecting this to take a lot longer, but like Brad said, you persistence is definitely paying off! Looking forward to the results.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:00 AM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

I have half a mind to source a totaled coupe for no other reason than to compare parts.... I'm betting the end results will be nice. I've also been putting off an alignment till I get the parts. I haven't even put precise measurements on hub-to-fender length, even. I almost decided to trade the G in since I'm about to buy my wife a new car. But I honestly haven't enjoyed an automobile like I do the G in a looong time! Plus, I don't have to worry about if it's going to crank in the morning, or if it will make it on this trip or that trip, etc... And it's paid for, so that counts alot too!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:40 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

'Clouds part, a majestic light shines down on a small house in Alabama... Hevenly chourus can be heard in the background. An eagle screeches....'
The following 2 users liked this post by corey.grizzle:
kiseliok (10-13-2017), Trezzay (10-19-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:40 PM
andresg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on this?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

God willing, I'll have these on this evening. Haven't forgot, just haven't had time.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:21 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Started, hoping to finish tonight...

Stock vs Tein

Right rear before I started

If I had the time I'd mill a couple of bushings to go on either side to take up that gap. Even though I don't really see it being a problem once the cars weight is on it.

See I've got the spring collars adjusted about as high as they can support the spring to make up for the stock shock. I'll back them down halfway and see how it does.

As it sits for the moment...
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 AM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Aside from some fine adjustments, camber correction and an alignment, the 'Vert-G Tein Coilover Project' is done! While it has been a bit of a hassle, I am very satisfied with the results. I left all four corners at maximum stiffness and the ride isn't teeth chattering. Takes turns like it's on rails, and still have sub-par stock tires and wheels. To recap, here's what I've got:

Tein Flex Z Coilover kit
They don't make a specific one for the vert, so you'll get one for the
coupe.
Tein Part#
SPS18-Q7513- LOWER B/K ASSY Z34/V36-F FLZ WITH BUSH, MSRP $99.00
This is the part number to get a set of the lower shock mounts for the
front coilvers.

On the vert, the shock in the rear mounts to the lower control arm the same way as the coilover in front so I needed an extra set of the lower mounts. These just screw onto the shock body no problem. The problem is getting a shop that can order them. Usually Tein will not release just the seperate parts unless your's are damaged. Handle that however you can. I ended up getting Jim at Motorvations Motosport in Trussville, Alabama to order mine.

Having everything together and the spring mounts backed down halfway I lowered the car. And it was SLAMMED. If your wanting realy really low, this set up will certainly do it. Raised it back up and brought the spring collers down compleatly to the end of the spring cup and that's how it currently sits. I like where it is currently and will be tuning it to get all four corners even and what not.

Before

After
blnewt (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Very nice! Congrats on getting it to work.
I'll be interested to hear how coupe springs are working once you dial these down to a derivable range.
corey.grizzle (12-05-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Way to see this through completion, echo Kiseliok, keep this thread updated as you get more time/adjustments w/ them. Nice job!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:11 AM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Roger that, and thanks guys! The springs have been on for a while already, I was just running them with the oem shock. The rear felt like crap. I'm hoping to get them adjusted through the weekend and an alignment on Monday. But that's hoping.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:49 AM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
So do the lower shock mounts unscrew so you can place the ordered fronts on? Also, who did you go through to order your.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Glad you like your setup
Old 12-05-2017, 10:40 AM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

They do. I screwed the fronts on all the way they would go to get closer to the original length. I got Jim at Motorvations Motosport in Trussville, Alabama to order them for me. They are actually a Honda/Acura shop, but listed as an authorized Tein dealer.

Still liking the ride, still haven't got an alignment, still haven't adjusted nothing... lol, but the kids playground is finally put together!

Search this Thread