Coils on!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:56 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ouch, those kw's ain't cheap. But good luck has shown upon me! I literally just got off the phone with Gonzo at Tein USA. He confirmed they can sell the lower brackets to a vendor, I just need to take some measurements when I get home and jack the car up so we get the right part and he can get me the part number. I'm 99% sure it's the same size eyelet used in the front but I'm gonna pull out the micrometer again anyway to be sure. And once that's done, us vert guys will have another choice for coilovers!

Dang, look at me tryin' to contribute to the community and stuff... haha

I'd also like to point out the awesome level of customer service I've gotten. Not only did I get the above mentioned info, but he pointed out a very important flaw in my logic for a true coilover in the rear. That part of the chassis was not made to support the full weight. It may or may not be able to safely handle the added stress. Well played sir, well played.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:14 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Lol. Glad it's working out for you.

While I do not disagree with the architectural changes of going with coilovers vs the stock shock / spring setup, there are quite a few members running full coils without stress / weight issues. Now, this could still be a problem in long-term or extreme conditions, but for normal driving with some occasional spirited twisties, I cannot imagine this will be an issue.

I guess you could always go with a stock-like setup, but you better get your measurements right the first time because it will not be height adjustable.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

I agree. And if this wasn't my daily driver I'd dive right in and run a true coil over setup in the rear anyway. But since it is, and it's paid for, I intend to keep it till they quit making parts for it, and try not to stress it toooo much. Least not the chassis. That'd be a 'b' to fix.

Is there a resource out with the measurements for the shocks? Wife and kids had me busy from the time I got home till 2300 and I didn't get to measure mine. In the process of using the google button now...
Old 08-22-2017, 01:23 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Maybe service manual? Try here: infinitig37.com

Mine is a DD as well, btw.
Put 15k miles on it in a year. I'll enjoy the hell out of it till it takes a poo. Then fix it. Then enjoy it again.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:43 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

No luck, but finally found a listing of premium package features! I've put about 8000 on mine since I bought it at the turn of this year and I'm at roughly 48000 miles.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Corey, pretty cool that Tein is working w/ you and may come up w/ a complete
vert-specific kit due to your "taking one for the team". Hope it all works out, keep us posted.
Brad
Old 08-24-2017, 10:56 AM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

I've got measurements ready for Tein when they open here shortly. I've also adjusted both ends so I'm not grading my driveway anymore. I raised the front a tad bit more last night as well.

Also, white wheels or the red/gold? I'm leaning on white for this showdown...
Old 08-24-2017, 04:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Those red wheels look pretty nice, any pics of them in the sun?
The following users liked this post:
corey.grizzle (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:10 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Took this picture this morning just for you! I've came to the conclusion that the plain red looked pretty good before I went to add the gold metal on top of it. Didn't come out as good as I wanted it.

Also, waiting on the reply from Tein with the part number. They got my measurements and even took several minutes to help me out with terminology for different parts of the suspension so I could talk about it and not sound like an idiot who knows nothing about the parts he bought and installed.
blnewt (08-25-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:02 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Another update: the Tein rep said that the measurements were close but slightly off from the tein product. He requested that I actually take the front lower bracket and put it on the rear just to make sure they had clearance and no liability. Well guess what?! They fit! I'm hoping they have them with a wider bushing than what is in the front coilovers lower braket to make up some of the slack (I'd hate to use washers to rig it just right) to be able to keep it all Tein in house pieces. Then we might actually get offered a kit.

And I finally got around to making all the wheels white...
kiseliok (08-27-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:31 PM
3POINT8

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
NICE ! looks good !
corey.grizzle (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

Tein rep delivered today, got the part number! Forwarded to a dealer to order. Once my suspension is all matching green and I've verified nothing is going to fall off, I'll post a thread with the part number of the kit and the lower brackets needed for anyone else wanting to run a Flex Z setup.
blnewt (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Good news Corey, hopefully this will be a full success and we can add another viable option for you guys w/ verts that want to lower your Gs.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:36 PM
corey.grizzle
Registered Member

UPDATE: Vendor is currently reaching out to distributor. Shouldn't be long now!

Now for an update on ride quality after a few weeks. I love the way the front of the car feels. It is much more firm, but doesn't chatter my teeth out or anything. I like it like this personally. I can feel the road much better. I now know the answer to the question "what if I use this spring in front and such and such in the rear?". It sucks! I've got the Tein spring cup as tall as it will go to keep my rear tires off the fender and I'm sure the OEM shock is close to obliterated now. I'm also feeling the alignment issues, since I have been waiting for parts to finish before getting it aligned. So, not the best ride currently. Better than a Suzuki Samurai with a springover, though. I'm ready to finish this and get a good wheel and tire combo on!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 PM
andresg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what parts are you waiting on? So the rear adjustment is maxed out? Would you not recommend this set up for the vert?