Is it worth it to get a convertible now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:09 AM
Suhdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth it to get a convertible now?

Hi all,

I'm new to this website and was wondering if it's worth it to get the convertible despite it being a handful of years old? Some background: i'm a senior in college and have been eyeing the G series for a while, especially the convertible. I have a job so I will be able to afford the car and any reasonable repairs it may need in the future. I would just like to know if you were in my shoes right now but you still had the experience you got from owning your convertibles would you buy a used one right now?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:49 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
id say and get something more reasonable.. take some meat off your student your loans..
establish your own place and get into the groove of having to afford your monthly bills then go from there..
not sure of your location.. but id wait till end of month and its cold to get a good deal on a vert..my two cents
Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I bought a new cadillac cts (pretty equivalent car) when I got out of college and it was a mistake. Car payments sucked. My friends were going out and doing stuff and I barely had money to go. Get a new civic or something and ride it out for a few years before getting a luxury car. Can always get a q60 vert which would be equivalent to the G in a few years.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
A new Civic would cost just as much as a vert in terms of sale price. As mica said, I'd also suggest knocking some principal off your student loans and smooth out your living expenses. Save up for a heftier down payment so the monthly is minimal and your lifestyle isn't affected by your toys.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 AM
4doorfury

Errrr i meant newER. Or a mazda 3, those are dependable as well and cheap and technology packed.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:06 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Errrr i meant newER. Or a mazda 3, those are dependable as well and cheap and technology packed.
On a side note, my friend just bought a brand new Civic (base model/auto) and is now kicking himself for making such a terrible life decision
Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Suhdude

First off thanks everyone for replying! I appreciate all of you! But anyways, let me add more information. I actually have enough to buy it in cash and have enough for repairs, insurance, bills etc. and I have zero debt. I really wanted to know if to you guys a vert is worth it despite any headache/heartache you have gone through. Also in regards to the verts age if I shouldn't get one because of possible costly repairs.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Suhdude

Personally I wouldn't buy any utilitarian car brand new. It's a lot of money for not that much car imho. I'd rather buy a last gen civic or whatever instead of the newer ones since I'd just use it to get around.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 PM
4doorfury

2012+ vert if money isn't an issue
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

From what I've read, I'd still go with a sport sedan/coupe. It seems like you'd be taking a small gamble with issues related to leaking, not to mention you'd have fewer aftermarket options if you plan to mod it. It's also the heaviest out of all G's and the backseats are not very comfortable for longer trips (I'm 5'9"/155lbs). That being said, there's 3 verts in the classifieds, one of which is my friend's car!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g-s-fs/...-g37-vert.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g-s-fs/...nvertable.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g-s-fs/...tion-bose.html
Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
if u really like it then get it. ull be happy.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 AM
Jim Bob

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
this is the way i see it....life is short! if you are able to make the payments etctec DO IT. enjoy life...i have student loans myself...my only diff is I CHOSE to say home ,to take care of my folks. therfore i dont have many bills plus im single and no kids!.....if you can maintain the car $$$......get it be happy! enjoy life while you can.

Words i always Fly by.......Do not let LIFE take you by the *****....Take the ***** of Life and TWIST em
Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
this is the way i see it....life is short! if you are able to make the payments etctec DO IT. enjoy life...i have student loans myself...my only diff is I CHOSE to say home ,to take care of my folks. therfore i dont have many bills plus im single and no kids!.....if you can maintain the car $$$......get it be happy! enjoy life while you can.

Words i always Fly by.......Do not let LIFE take you by the *****....Take the ***** of Life and TWIST em
Errrmaaagerdddddd
Old 08-27-2016, 07:41 PM
psdenno
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Money isn't an issue, you're a senior in college, the car you drive should make you happy, go for it. Life is all about making decisions. Good, or bad, you'll learn from it. FWIW, I bought a slightly used luxury car my senior year in college, and still have fond memories of owning it.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
im not the most thrift minded or rational sometimes when it comes to cars. I think id by an order TR6 or something like that and pay cash if you want a fun car vert and then buy a newer everyday reliable car like a Golf or something. As a car I love my vert and I drive it every day so I would say they are reliable and fun. I like the top down experience. my only advise is as you look at used ones if there is a way to make sure your top is sound. I am told they are expensive to fix and mine even scare me a little as it gets older. but good choice either way and good luck.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to get a convertible now?