How I fixed my leaky G37 roof! (Mostly haha)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:47 PM
JakeC
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lashk
Not sure. The gasket is a couple hundred plus labor. If I can't figure it out, I'll bring it in next week.
Hey I know this is an old thread I'm just wondering if you ever got the leak completely fixed. I'm looking at buying a 2010 g37 that has a leak on both sides in the back. I'm told it's really expensive to fix. Should this be a reason not to buy the car? It's got 60k miles on it and in very good condition.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM
lashk
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeC
Hey I know this is an old thread I'm just wondering if you ever got the leak completely fixed. I'm looking at buying a 2010 g37 that has a leak on both sides in the back. I'm told it's really expensive to fix. Should this be a reason not to buy the car? It's got 60k miles on it and in very good condition.
To be totally honest with you, I wound up selling my G37 to CarMax because I didn’t want to deal with it anymore. I had even bought an Elite warranty just in case something broke on it but the Infinity dealer in town sucked and I hated going there. The warranty doesn’t cover leaks to my knowledge anyway. Personally it was one of my worse car ownership experiences. I don’t ever plan to buy another Nissan / Infinity product again. I just bought a used 2014 Mustang GT convertible and love it.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

We've had a few heavy rains and I've noticed my headliner has some stains on the driver's side above and behind the rear window. Last night, I came outside after a few at a bar and it had been raining - not particularly hard - and the headliner was wet. I read through your post and it seems to me that the back portion of the seal that is attached to the middle panel is likely the culprit. Rather than partially open the roof and apply the "normal" clear Permatex RTV sealant, I used some "flowable" clear Permatex along the back edge of that seal along the entire roof. It comes in a small tube and I used a large needle to put a hole in the screw-on spout to get a small bead along that back edge. It's not as thick as the regular sealant and settled nicely in between the seal and the roof. I know that portion of the seal is attached to the middle panel so there should be no movement in the sealant once cured. There's no rain in the forecast until this weekend so we'll have to wait to see if it works. My guess is that it will be a temporary fix at best, but who knows? I'll follow up on this post later.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NewGVert4me
We've had a few heavy rains and I've noticed my headliner has some stains on the driver's side above and behind the rear window. Last night, I came outside after a few at a bar and it had been raining - not particularly hard - and the headliner was wet. I read through your post and it seems to me that the back portion of the seal that is attached to the middle panel is likely the culprit. Rather than partially open the roof and apply the "normal" clear Permatex RTV sealant, I used some "flowable" clear Permatex along the back edge of that seal along the entire roof. It comes in a small tube and I used a large needle to put a hole in the screw-on spout to get a small bead along that back edge. It's not as thick as the regular sealant and settled nicely in between the seal and the roof. I know that portion of the seal is attached to the middle panel so there should be no movement in the sealant once cured. There's no rain in the forecast until this weekend so we'll have to wait to see if it works. My guess is that it will be a temporary fix at best, but who knows? I'll follow up on this post later.

Thanks.
Forgot to mention, my vert is a 2013 with all of 34,000 on the odo. Those rubber bits don't care about mileage though.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:30 AM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NewGVert4me

Thanks.
Well I got to test my fix pretty quickly as at rained buckets yesterday while I was at work. I'm happy to report I didn't have a drop of water! So that middle seal was indeed the culprit. I'm hoping it will hold up for some time but we'll see.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:26 AM
landmannnn
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A big warning for anybody doing this.

NEVER leave your roof in the partially open position for more than 15 minutes.

If you do, you are in for a a whole heap of trouble, trust me, I have been there, it isn't something you would want to fix. Mentioned on page 271 of the FSM in the RF section by the way.