UP/Down How much is too much

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
UP/Down How much is too much

Hey just a thought or question on putting the top up and down. Is theer anything that says you should only do it so many times or how much time between raising or lowering it? Maybe if you do it so many times you have to get it serviced or something. Reason i ask is i love to drive it with teh top down but dont want to leave it down when i go in a store or somewhere. Just curious if any of you had come across some info around this topic. Didnt see anything that matched my question in the threads.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pnrymmf
Hey just a thought or question on putting the top up and down. Is theer anything that says you should only do it so many times or how much time between raising or lowering it? Maybe if you do it so many times you have to get it serviced or something. Reason i ask is i love to drive it with teh top down but dont want to leave it down when i go in a store or somewhere. Just curious if any of you had come across some info around this topic. Didnt see anything that matched my question in the threads.
I doubt this is an issue but, like all things mechanical, over time, there is ALWAYS the opportunity for a failure.

I only drive my Vert during vert weather and I have cycled the top as many as 5+ times a day and haven't had an issue in almost 5 years of use...
Old 03-26-2014, 01:32 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I think 20 is the limit or putting the top up and down consecutively in a row. Read it somewhere. Can't remember where though. Not that anyone would want to do that 20 times in a row.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 AM
akochman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the car bought or leased? Still under warranty? My opinion would be to enjoy the car. When I had my convertible I would put the top down for any drive over 5-10 min if the weather was nice. Never had any significant issues with the top for the 26 months or so I had the car other than squeaking/rattling on occasion.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool, thanks everyone. my car is purchased and under warranty so sounds like im good. I do about the same, put it down on good days (50> degrees) for any drive over 5 or so minutes.
when i do go occassionally to the dealer for service is there something i can say that they will almost have to suggest lubing or adjusting the top for me? I also saw where someone said under warranty they changed the brushed aluminum pieces on the door for them because they were scratched. mine has a little dent from the seat belt on the driver door.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a newbie too and was just wondering the same thing. Good question.