MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Convertible (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible-349/)
-   -   Help Please: What can I do to my G37 Convert? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible/253327-help-please-what-can-i-do-to-my-g37-convert.html)

Turboteggy718 12-03-2013 07:37 PM

Help Please: What can I do to my G37 Convert?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Myg37.com. I bought my G37 about a year ago and have not done anything to it yet. I have it completely stock. I have been doing some research on the IPL front but I am not able to find it anywhere. Would like to know what you guess would recommend me doing to my car and where im I able to find these parts. Heres two picture oof my G.
Thanks guy

Gio37 12-03-2013 10:44 PM

Congrats & welcome to the forum :hello:

GoFightNguyen 12-03-2013 10:53 PM

You asked for it, here's my generic response to new members who are looking to get into modding. It's a little overwhelming at first, here's a breakdown of the various mods:

Here's the cliff's notes version of most of the questions new members ask.

1. Everyone disagrees on which external mods look good. That being said, the popular mods people do externally are:
Body kits (IPL or Aero or Top Secret)
New wheels (Vossen, Stance, Velgen, VMR, Forgestar, Forgeline, and Enkei are popular brands), check threads to see if they'll clear your brakes instead of just posting up a wheel fitment thread.
Lights (people change the lenses to TSX lenses, paint the housings, delete amber corner, and add LED rings)
Fog Lights switched to HID (less useful in actual fog, but good for looks)
Carbon Fiber (most things are available in carbon fiber, VIS and Seibon are popular mid-price brands, fitment is always a concern, IGT, AIT, and Autokits X make great stuff too)
Painted calipers
smoked lights (recently cause for instant inspection fail in Texas, YMMV)
Debadging
LED interior light swap (diode dynamics or other companies offer kits containing all the LED's you need)
Spoilers (front chin, rear decklid, rear wing type, roof mounted spoiler)
Diffuser (autokits x, other companies)
Plastidip (hideous, don't do it)

2. The best HP performance mod you can do is Forced Induction. These cars love boost, and any bolt ons (exhaust, intakes) will see only marginal HP boosts. However:
Cold Air Intakes (K&N, Sillen, Takeda, R2C, Injen, Greddy)
Intake Manifold (Motordyne)
Header (Fast Intentions, idk about other companies')
High Flow Catalytic Converters (Fast Intentions, Berk, Stillen, among others)
Test Pipes (same companies as Cats)
Catback Exhaust (Apexi, Tanabe, HKS, Greddy, Borla, Fast Intentions, Motordyne, Magnaflow, others)
Tune (either dyno professional, or handheld tuner unit)
Grounding kits (DIY)
Forced Induction (GTM twin turbo, GTM twin super, GTM single super, Stillen Super)

3. Suspension mods
Sway Bars, biggest bang for buck mod, (Hotchkis, Cusco, Stillen, Eibach)
Front Tower Strut Bar (Cusco, GT spec, others)
Coilovers vs. Springs
Coilovers allow user to adjust drop exactly as needed, springs have 1 drop height
Coilovers allow user to adjust drop without changing spring compression, springs do not
Coilovers and Springs may both require camber kits.
Various chassis braces (may not be compatible with whatever exhaust you choose)

Welcome to the forum, watch your head!

cereal2k 12-12-2013 11:37 PM

^ Nice reply! Definitely do your research and don't rush into it.
Not all coupe parts that are exterior will fit the vert.

-Vert IPL sides for example are just slightly longer than coupe IPL side skirts and more expensive.
-No one makes a vert specific diffuser. so Autokits v1, V2 etc and any other brand will be coupe only.
-You will need vert specific coilovers (research the threads in the vert forum. BC is the only game in town and it's a custom order, so you won't find it listed and will need to call them).

Welcome aboard and find a theme and go for it.

KAHBOOM 12-24-2013 02:37 PM

I think that aesthetically the vert benefits most from a drop.

Bota36 12-24-2013 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen (Post 3707752)
You asked for it, here's my generic response to new members who are looking to get into modding. It's a little overwhelming at first, here's a breakdown of the various mods:

Here's the cliff's notes version of most of the questions new members ask.

1. Everyone disagrees on which external mods look good. That being said, the popular mods people do externally are:
Body kits (IPL or Aero or Top Secret)
New wheels (Vossen, Stance, Velgen, VMR, Forgestar, Forgeline, and Enkei are popular brands), check threads to see if they'll clear your brakes instead of just posting up a wheel fitment thread.
Lights (people change the lenses to TSX lenses, paint the housings, delete amber corner, and add LED rings)
Fog Lights switched to HID (less useful in actual fog, but good for looks)
Carbon Fiber (most things are available in carbon fiber, VIS and Seibon are popular mid-price brands, fitment is always a concern, IGT, AIT, and Autokits X make great stuff too)
Painted calipers
smoked lights (recently cause for instant inspection fail in Texas, YMMV)
Debadging
LED interior light swap (diode dynamics or other companies offer kits containing all the LED's you need)
Spoilers (front chin, rear decklid, rear wing type, roof mounted spoiler)
Diffuser (autokits x, other companies)
Plastidip (hideous, don't do it)

2. The best HP performance mod you can do is Forced Induction. These cars love boost, and any bolt ons (exhaust, intakes) will see only marginal HP boosts. However:
Cold Air Intakes (K&N, Sillen, Takeda, R2C, Injen, Greddy)
Intake Manifold (Motordyne)
Header (Fast Intentions, idk about other companies')
High Flow Catalytic Converters (Fast Intentions, Berk, Stillen, among others)
Test Pipes (same companies as Cats)
Catback Exhaust (Apexi, Tanabe, HKS, Greddy, Borla, Fast Intentions, Motordyne, Magnaflow, others)
Tune (either dyno professional, or handheld tuner unit)
Grounding kits (DIY)
Forced Induction (GTM twin turbo, GTM twin super, GTM single super, Stillen Super)

3. Suspension mods
Sway Bars, biggest bang for buck mod, (Hotchkis, Cusco, Stillen, Eibach)
Front Tower Strut Bar (Cusco, GT spec, others)
Coilovers vs. Springs
Coilovers allow user to adjust drop exactly as needed, springs have 1 drop height
Coilovers allow user to adjust drop without changing spring compression, springs do not
Coilovers and Springs may both require camber kits.
Various chassis braces (may not be compatible with whatever exhaust you choose)

Welcome to the forum, watch your head!

Damn Nguyen, this information alone should be a sticky for newbies. Somehow your response should be posted so all new members open and read this. Great response!!!

GoFightNguyen 12-24-2013 04:55 PM

It's been a work in progress making a post like that. When a new member asks the inevitable "what can I do to mod my car", it is easier to just have a one stop shop answer. I just keep an eye on the new member section and copy and paste it in if they ask.

ptnaidu 10-23-2018 01:25 AM

New here, please bear with me.. I would like to do the Hotchkis sway bars, but confused on the model numbers. Most websites including Amazon are vague. Any help or pointers will be appreciated. I have 2012 G37 Convertible.

Thanks for any help!

rdog 10-23-2018 03:47 PM

I got mfg number 22441 from tire rack and I have a 2011 vert

ptnaidu 10-23-2018 06:37 PM

Thank you, that’s the model I am looking at too! I am hoping it will go on 2012 as well. Can’t find any thread confirming it here or any web site.

slartibartfast 10-23-2018 11:52 PM

Check out the Tech/Brakes and Suspension forum. Lots of info there.

ptnaidu 10-24-2018 01:22 AM

Thanks, will do!

teahead 02-01-2019 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by cereal2k (Post 3711618)
^ Nice reply! Definitely do your research and don't rush into it.

-No one makes a vert specific diffuser. so Autokits v1, V2 etc and any other brand will be coupe only.
-You will need vert specific coilovers (research the threads in the vert forum. BC is the only game in town and it's a custom order, so you won't find it listed and will need to call them).

Regarding #1: is that because the rear bumper is 'vert specific? A coupe rear bumper won't fit a 'vert? Anyone make an aftermarket rear bumper that works besides the IPL one?

Regarding #2, why is that? Configuration/mounting is different in the back?

Skitzo 05-04-2020 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by teahead (Post 4230144)
Regarding #1: is that because the rear bumper is 'vert specific? A coupe rear bumper won't fit a 'vert? Anyone make an aftermarket rear bumper that works besides the IPL one?

Regarding #2, why is that? Configuration/mounting is different in the back?

Correct! A coupe rear bumper won't fit a vert. I made this aftermarket rear bumper fit on a 2010 G37S vert.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...384f73afb.jpeg