MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Convertible (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible-349/)
-   -   Diagnostic fees??? Car under factory warranty (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-convertible/250700-diagnostic-fees-car-under-factory-warranty.html)

Roan de Rossi 09-04-2013 07:46 PM

Diagnostic fees??? Car under factory warranty

As few of you might know. My car died three times in one week and then I had roadside assistance come pick it up and take it to a dealer (closest: 70 miles away) Car is 2010 G37 vert.
Service agent said, my battery was bad and they had to replace it but I will have to pay 75% of the cost. Okay... I guess that's what in their warranty booklet according to them.
Now they also want me to pay diagnostic charges. Once they installed the battery, they ran diagnostic test to see if there was anything else wrong with the car! They found nothing wrong with the car. Shouldn't such tests be covered under factory warranty?
They also said, they can't hear a single rattle from all the places I mentioned.. Can't go in person just to find out that it still rattles and then return back with renter car... so trying to see how I can deal with them.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
R

LilRocket 09-04-2013 08:55 PM

Diagnostic charges are free only when the issue found is covered by the warranty

Roan de Rossi 09-04-2013 09:09 PM

They ran the diagnostics without me asking them to do. The car had died and roadside assistance took it to a dealer. They replaced the battery as it was a bad battery everything else looked good. And then they ran the diagnostic which showed there are no issues with the car. So it didn't find anything.

Black Betty 09-04-2013 09:34 PM

The only way then can know if other issues are affecting the electrical system is to check. If they'd replaced a battery and left it at that and then later you were stranded becasue of something else that they didn't check for being the reason why the battery was dead, you'd throw a hissy fit. You have to check everything that might be the cause of a dead battery rather than just replacing it and not addressing the probloem. That fee is legitimate, pay it. Generally if the repair is performed there they will apply the cost of the diagnostic fee toward the repair.

For rattles you have to take the car in and drive it with them in it and point out to them when it's doing it. They never seem to hear anything on their own.

Roan de Rossi 09-04-2013 10:08 PM

Thanks guys. The reason I asked was, before they first saw me, they would always be sir this sir that.. or mister. When I finally met them to pick my car up the first time, and they saw a 26 year old guy, they started calling me by first name and they behavior kind of changed. and then kinda added some charges last time I was there, even after telling me on phone that everything is covered under factory warranty... so I just wanted to make sure they were not trying to rip me off just coz of age and I look like a college kid, well I am.

Black Betty 09-04-2013 10:33 PM

The car is under warranty, however some things are not covered by it. Wear items like the battery have a prorated warranty so they paid 25%. Brake anc clutch frictions surfaces, tires and things like that are wear items and not completely covered by the bumper to bumper warranty.

Roan de Rossi 09-05-2013 12:08 AM

Black Betty, do you work for Infiniti?

Black Betty 09-05-2013 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Roan de Rossi (Post 3674549)
Black Betty, do you work for Infiniti?

LOL. No, not even close.

quakerroatmeal 09-05-2013 01:48 AM

Shouldn't they have ran a diagnostic test first, to find the only thing wrong is the dead battery? I honestly would not be happy if I was in your shoes as well. I got lucky with my local dealership they replaced my battery while I was out of warranty for free from a TSB.

Black Betty 09-05-2013 02:05 AM

You can't run a diagnostic of the starting and charging system with a dead battery, can you?

keraxis 09-05-2013 09:13 AM

They rely on computer to much

What happend to the old ways. My battery died.. is it the alternator or the battery???? you jump start the car then remove the negative battery terminal. if the car dies its the alternator.

Black Betty 09-05-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by keraxis (Post 3674621)
What happend to the old ways. My battery died.. is it the alternator or the battery???? you jump start the car then remove the negative battery terminal. if the car dies its the alternator.

The old ways are gone because the charging and starting system is more infinitely complex than it used to be. There's a ton more to check for than for a dead battery or a bad alternator.

LilRocket 09-05-2013 05:22 PM

If you feel like they treated you differently after seeing you in person, than this is a quick giveaway that they are not professional and you should inform the site manager or just avoid this dealer.

I am 27 years old and had a G since I was 25. Been to several Infiniti dealers as a buyer and an owner. I have never had a disrespectful or unprofessional experience.

SigX 09-05-2013 09:06 PM

My last experience was hilarious. I call to have a small dent hammered out. the guy I spoke too told me to go buy a hammer and do it myself??? So I informed him that I did not want to do it myself... that's why I called you. then he says "take it somewhere else". I couldn't stop laughing and called back to inform the manager.