mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bembowe
hey men, replied on your fb with:

Nothing special Eric, I just told them that I had the car for six months and the front seats looks like its been used for 4years. So they told me to bring it in and guess they compared it to the passenger front seats and knew it wasn't wear and tear. If u have the same issue, try ur luck.
I wonder if I can get my seat replaced like that LOL . The sport seat design causes a lot of friction getting it and out of the car. I may have to change the way I enter and exist the car, both feet at a time and turn..

Anyway......... back on topic.

So I got a response from Stefan and was asked to check my LED status and I think it is good. This was just confirmed OK.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3-jfc8HntI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3-jfc8HntI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Based on my interpretation, I think it is blinking normally and not erratically.

Noted in the last correspondence was possible battery issues. The car has been idle for 3 days, driven 30 minutes on day 4, then the install on day 5.

Side note the back panel is out of alignment and not laying flat by the back window with the top up. Sounds like time for a roof reset at the dealer. I'll have them check the battery also and go from there after the roof is reset.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal2k
I wonder if I can get my seat replaced like that LOL . The sport seat design causes a lot of friction getting it and out of the car. I may have to change the way I enter and exist the car, both feet at a time and turn..

Anyway......... back on topic.

So I got a response from Stefan and was asked to check my LED status and I think it is good. This was just confirmed OK.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3-jfc8HntI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3-jfc8HntI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Based on my interpretation, I think it is blinking normally and not erratically.

Noted in the last correspondence was possible battery issues. The car has been idle for 3 days, driven 30 minutes on day 4, then the install on day 5.

Side note the back panel is out of alignment and not laying flat by the back window with the top up. Sounds like time for a roof reset at the dealer. I'll have them check the battery also and go from there after the roof is reset.
Yeah, I can remember something like this happening where the roof would not work with the car off. It turned out to be the battery. This was from a cold start, in the morning after installing the until. Probably check with the dealer on the battery level.

What are your setting on the module anyways. Also make sure that you are giving the time interval between pressing the between in the key fob for at least a second in between.
Does the windows down command from the key fob work with the car off?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 PM
cereal2k

Yeah, I can remember something like this happening where the roof would not work with the car off. It turned out to be the battery. This was from a cold start, in the morning after installing the until. Probably check with the dealer on the battery level.

What are your setting on the module anyways. Also make sure that you are giving the time interval between pressing the between in the key fob for at least a second in between.
Does the windows down command from the key fob work with the car off?

Fn 1 at 1
Fn 2 at 3
Fn 3 at 3
Fn 4 at 3
Fn 5 at 1
Fn 6 at 2
Fn 7 at 0

key:
mods4cars product manual

I believe I gave it enough time, but I've also noticed the low keyfob battery warning indicator, so that may be a factor. The battery is fine, just needs the normal charging via driving around and the roof is fine too, no reset needed there. I've not had a chance to give it another try as yet. Likley tomorrow after some driving around.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
cereal2k

Gotta get the battery charged. It worked halfway to drop the top after some driving when using the key fob, but the back panel did not retract and I needed to use the door button to complete the drop.

update:
Battery tested fine at autozone 530 CCA today. Checked with infiniti on that the rating should be and they said 575 for the stock battery. I inquired about the upgraded battery which is rated at 710 CCA. I am figuring on upgrading to get the module working.

Last edited by cereal2k; 12-31-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:22 PM
cereal2k

Module now works with an upgraded battery! If you have any issues the stock battery may be the culprit.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
cereal2k

So.. after checking around, the KP Technologies roll up module has support for rolling up the windows on the US spec G's. I'm wondering if there would be any compatibility issues with using this (two clicks with the lock botton) with the smarttop??

Anyone want to give this a try?

KP Technologies

So I am figuring, the roof is already down.
1) 3 clicks (1 second interval on the lock button) to bring with roof up to closed postion and the back windows up, then
2) 2 clicks (for the kp tech module) to bring up the front windows and if needed one click to lock the car if it's not already locked.

This review

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...up-module.html

and this guide

http://kptechnologies.com/forums/vie...php?f=2&t=1075

was referenced.

Last edited by cereal2k; 01-02-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Texnician

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=cereal2k;3319117]So.. after checking around, the KP Technologies roll up module has support for rolling up the windows on the US spec G's. I'm wondering if there would be any compatibility issues with using this (two clicks with the lock botton) with the smarttop??

KP Technologies

1) 3 clicks (1 second interval on the lock button) to bring with roof up to closed position and the back windows up, then
2) 2 clicks (for the kp tech module) to bring up the front windows and if needed one click to lock the car if it's not already locked.

The fact that KP can bring up the fronts with the FOB sounds promising. Makes me wonder if Mods4Cars can still find a way. It should still be the goal to have everything up with one command.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

So.. after checking around, the KP Technologies roll up module has support for rolling up the windows on the US spec G's. I'm wondering if there would be any compatibility issues with using this (two clicks with the lock botton) with the smarttop??

KP Technologies

1) 3 clicks (1 second interval on the lock button) to bring with roof up to closed postion and the back windows up, then

This review

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...up-module.html

and this guide

KPtechnologies Forums &bull; View topic - Infiniti G37 Coupe Install Details

was referenced.
hey men. i am glad that you were able to get your module taken care of. would have sucked if the module didnt work.
But men, this kp tech is very promising as mentioned. Only thing I really dont like is the installation of having to splice. wish it was more plug and play. But if the two modules can work together that would be awesome.
I wouldnt mind giving it a try perhaps in the future, only thing scaring me is the installation.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Texnician

The fact that KP can bring up the fronts with the FOB sounds promising. Makes me wonder if Mods4Cars can still find a way. It should still be the goal to have everything up with one command.
I don't think they have any solution for the current product they have. There is a note stating it works with Euro Spec and I will assume Gulf Spec verts. So apart from a European ECU flash, it seems the KP tech module would be the other method. I too one like one solution.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM
cereal2k

hey men. i am glad that you were able to get your module taken care of. would have sucked if the module didnt work.
But men, this kp tech is very promising as mentioned. Only thing I really dont like is the installation of having to splice. wish it was more plug and play. But if the two modules can work together that would be awesome.
I wouldnt mind giving it a try perhaps in the future, only thing scaring me is the installation.
Thanks bembowe! Your vids were very helpful. I did have a scare today however.

I had put the roof and windows up (3 clicks on the lock button). Then I used the key to close the windows. Then after a short time, used the keyfob to lower the roof and windows.
It stopped halfway (backpanel did not go down). The wife was with me and she had her keyfob in the car at the time with a low battery reading.
edit: video added

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M89xLWxgJc8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M89xLWxgJc8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

So since I've gotten home (I've been driving in the mountains for half a day) I had the top down and windows up.
3 clicks with the off button (1 sec interval) did not close the roof. Once I lowered all 4 windows, then the sequence worked to close the roof, then raise the back windows.
edit: video added

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgM3uc6q7Mg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgM3uc6q7Mg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I've just again tried to lower the roof where the starting point is with the roof already up, and all windows are up, but it has stopped halfway again. Once change I will make is to not have the hazards on and go from there.

Last edited by cereal2k; 01-04-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM
cereal2k

Mods4cars has seen the issue I've had in their testing and a remote session to check further will be set up. I had video taped the top up and down operation, where on the top down it did not retract the back window panel. Will post vid later.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Texnician

Mods4cars has seen the issue I've had in their testing and a remote session to check further will be set up. I had video taped the top up and down operation, where on the top down it did not retract the back window panel. Will post vid later.
That sounds exciting. I've gotten used to the key in the door work around. The only other thing I find anoying with the Mods4Cars device is when I go to unlock my passenger door by second clicking my door I also get a all windows down command. It unlocks the other door OK but brings less than lovely comments from the wife on rainy days. Again a work around, make her wait till I open my door and reach in for the unlock button.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Texnician
That sounds exciting. I've gotten used to the key in the door work around. The only other thing I find anoying with the Mods4Cars device is when I go to unlock my passenger door by second clicking my door I also get a all windows down command. It unlocks the other door OK but brings less than lovely comments from the wife on rainy days. Again a work around, make her wait till I open my door and reach in for the unlock button.
Yeah, in about a week and a half I'll sync up with them to see what's happening.

Found a work around to the top down cycle not completing with the key fob. Just restart the cycle from the keyfob and it will complete.

So this happened today

So top is up, windows up, just two clicks gets the windows down this time. Then 3 clicks for the top down. Then it stops half way, then I do 3 more clicks (I may not have to do so many) then 3 more clicks on unlock button and it completes the cycle.

I should just be able to do 3 clicks and have the windows and top down from this list

"Tap open 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to open all windows.
Tap open 3x to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap open 4x to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap close 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to close all windows.
Tap close 3x to close top and windows.
Tap close 4x to close only the top and leave the windows open.
Tap in the same direction at any time to immediately stop an ongoing operation."

Now I happened to be in the car when the second restart of the unlock sequence from the key fob was run and I saw this the Nav Screen "Configuration failed because CONSULT is connected.". It quickly disappeared.

This is a vid of the work around until the support connection is made to the module.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIQN27zRark?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIQN27zRark?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 AM
bembowe
Registered Member

Yeah, in about a week and a half I'll sync up with them to see what's happening.

Found a work around to the top down cycle not completing with the key fob. Just restart the cycle from the keyfob and it will complete.

So this happened today

So top is up, windows up, just two clicks gets the windows down this time. Then 3 clicks for the top down. Then it stops half way, then I do 3 more clicks (I may not have to do so many) then 3 more clicks on unlock button and it completes the cycle.

I should just be able to do 3 clicks and have the windows and top down from this list

"Tap open 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to open all windows.
Tap open 3x to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap open 4x to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap close 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to close all windows.
Tap close 3x to close top and windows.
Tap close 4x to close only the top and leave the windows open.
Tap in the same direction at any time to immediately stop an ongoing operation."

Now I happened to be in the car when the second restart of the unlock sequence from the key fob was run and I saw this the Nav Screen "Configuration failed because CONSULT is connected.". It quickly disappeared.

This is a vid of the work around until the support connection is made to the module.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIQN27zRark?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIQN27zRark?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
men, thats a sucky experience. They should really get on that. i wonder if its just a faulty module. Maybe they should send you a different module for you to try out. I would difinitely wouldnt want to do 9 clicks to get the to down all the time. I know that its just an interim solution for now.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Texnician

Not good Cereal2k, the top appears to have stopped for an unknown reason but the module was still in progress (lights still flashing). You 3 clicked and that stopped the module (I bet you could have just one clicked, any touch of the fob or button while the top is moving will stop it). You then restarted it and it worked. Try disabling the mod and run the top several times factory to make sure a sensor or something is not interfering. In the end, I suspect a flaky module.

Quick Reply: mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible