buzzing/rattling brake rotor splashguard

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM
onthefence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buzzing/rattling brake rotor splashguard

2013 G37 Sport, about 3000 miles on it, 3 months old. The splashguard on the front left brake rotor buzzes/rattles when I thump the tire with my fist (none of the other wheels exhibit this behavior). I discovered this because I was hearing a more substantial rattle from that direction when driving with the windows down. Or maybe it's the same rattle, and it just sounds different when sitting in the driver's seat and driving over bumps at 20-30 MPH. Hard to say.

This morning I removed the wheel to inspect, but I couldn't see anything obvious; without knowing more, it seems likely that the rotor will have to come off to access the problem area.

Before I call the dealer and set up a service appointment, has anyone else had this sort of problem, and is there an easy fix that's worth doing on my own? Or should I just hand the car over and let the dealer take care of it under warranty?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by onthefence
2013 G37 Sport, about 3000 miles on it, 3 months old. The splashguard on the front left brake rotor buzzes/rattles when I thump the tire with my fist (none of the other wheels exhibit this behavior). I discovered this because I was hearing a more substantial rattle from that direction when driving with the windows down. Or maybe it's the same rattle, and it just sounds different when sitting in the driver's seat and driving over bumps at 20-30 MPH. Hard to say.

This morning I removed the wheel to inspect, but I couldn't see anything obvious; without knowing more, it seems likely that the rotor will have to come off to access the problem area.

Before I call the dealer and set up a service appointment, has anyone else had this sort of problem, and is there an easy fix that's worth doing on my own? Or should I just hand the car over and let the dealer take care of it under warranty?

Had that when I first got my wife's car. Took it to the dealer - they 'could not replicate'. Finally I took care of it. I simply reached thru the wheel and grasped the splashguard. I gently pushed it back. Problem solved. Evidently the drivers side front was just a smidgen closer than the other 3...it has not returned.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
As stated, its probably rubbing somewhere. Look closely. Push it back a few mm along the edge all the way around. That'll probably fix it.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM
onthefence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following up as a reference point for anyone else in the future who experiences the same symptom I did:

Visited the dealer after work yesterday. The service manager and mechanic immediately suspected that small pavement stones had become trapped in the folds of the brake rotor's splashguard. Mechanic took the car away and brought it back 10 minutes later with a stone in hand. Problem solved. I didn't think that little stone could be responsible for the substantial rattle I was hearing when the car was in motion, but waddyaknow - the ride home from the dealership was quiet, rattle-free.

So if you've got a buzzing brake rotor splash guard, or a rattling sound when you go over bumps, that's a cheap thing to try: look for little stones caught in the splashguard.