Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

Continue modding G or save for new Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 10:27 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts
Continue modding G or save for new Z?

I didn't pay too much attention to the new Z when all the information was coming out but I gave it a real good look last week and it's very compelling, especially if the price I'm told is going to be true. People are saying it has a base price of $35k and for the sports model it would be $40k. I would want that model, but I also saw online things that may indicate the base price is actually $40k. Either way it's a lot for the price.

When I was a teenager I was introduced to the GT-R from Gran Turismo 1 on PS1. I've always wanted one but lately have been reconsidering due to the price and the claims that it gets boring after you get used to it. I really like that in the G37 it's not boring even though I've owned it for 2+ years now.

My current plans for the G are: test pipes/catback/ypipe/re-tune/keyhole cover (~$2667 + install), re-tint windows with darker & ceramic tint and get new dashcam & sdcard (~$1300), steel reservoirs/z1 silicone hose set (~$682), shifter & boot (~$317), powder coating strut bar brackets again (?), 3" intakes & velocity stacks/coolant & oil catch can/76mm TBs/ported upper & lower/re-tune (~$3370 + install), re-delete chrome trim (~$525), vented hood/car wrap (~$4365), wheels/tires/lugs/valve caps/powder coated calipers (~$4643 + install), front & sider splitters/diffuser (~$1610), air suspension (~$4261 + install), CF drive shaft (~$1299 + install), subs & amp (~$1103).

The new Z at the price point it's going to be released at is much more attainable for me right now. I have spent about $12k on mods so far, including taxes/shipping/installation costs when applicable. The G I'm working on is mostly looks based and a little bit of power improvement. I tend not to cheap out on parts and sometimes I do things in a way that may cost more, for the sake of convenience. For example, the price I paid for my headlights is not something most people would pay. They would take theirs out and do it themselves or send them off. I'd say most G drivers just buy GT-R look-alike headlights for $400 and call it done.

Anyways, I had no plans to go FI on this car and I figured when I wanted something faster I would just get something faster, and do more power mods on that new car than I'm doing on my current one...

Like the new Z.

Continue modding G or save for new Z?-oog3knm.jpg
  • The new Z comes in a really nice blue that I think I would be very satisfied with out of the box and has much more modern convenience included. I'm unsure on the quality of the navigation or if it will require that stupid system of paying for DVDs for subpar updates or not. I'm currently using a Garmin GPS despite my G having navigation due to this reason (and the OEM navigation is pretty bad).
  • The new Z also has the option of a very much improved 9 speed auto or a 6 speed manual, each compelling for their own reasons. It already has FI and I could simply put in test pipes or LTH, upgraded catback and a tune (possibly on E85) and should have a great amount of power. So out of the box it should be faster than my modded G and more fun to drive, probably.. but relatively easy to gain more out of it. The auto even has launch control and at this price point, that's very appealing.
  • The interior is very nice and I don't think it will have all the "old car quirks" my G does... like creaking noises when I turn into my driveway from the car body being flexed or when I take a roundabout and my body is pushed into the center of the vehicle causing the interior to creak. From the research i've done I think the new Z has more head room too, which I greatly appreciate. I'm 6 foot 3 and the sunroof of the G isn't doing me favors. I can easily have my head brushing the top of the car unless I slouch some. It's also a little less comfortable driving wearing boots.
  • I'm not sure I'd even want air suspension on the new Z. I think it may be fine with close to stock ride height on coilovers with swift springs, especially since this one is more power focused and already looks pretty great. That's a huge money saver instead of putting air in my G sedan.
  • I would lose the back seats and I think much of the trunk space... But I won't need as much trunk space since I won't need to run air. I don't usually have a need to carry more than 1 passenger and don't particularly care too much about the ability to, but I have made use of the back seats by leaning the passenger seat down and jamming a very long box into the car to bring it somewhere and have it shipped.
  • I'm making payments on my G still (to build credit) and I finish paying it off in November 2024. I could either buy a brand new Z or a lightly used and well-kept one. Meanwhile, the money I save not dumping it into mods that make little power difference (but decent visual difference) could be put towards the new Z. I may buy it outright or at least have a really good down payment.

So is there something I'm missing here? Aside from personal preference is there a reason to stick with the G sedan and not just buy the Z? I could part out things like my headlights and sell them for a really good amount and throw in some OEM headlights or GT-R style AlphaRex headlights and sell the car with those.. that way I don't lose a lot on the custom headlights.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Maybe dial back on mod expenses until you have an opportunity to drive the new Z. Pick out a few of the lesser expensive mod plans, and spread them out on the calendar, just to keep you engaged with the car. In other words, put the air suspension and CF driveshaft on the back burner, at least until after you test drive the Z.

Back around 2010, when I was shopping G's, I kept going back & forth on Coupe vs. Sedan. Ultimately I chose the Sedan because it felt more open and comfortable. At the time, I also toyed with the idea of getting the 370Z, and even though the test-drive was awesome, the car felt so confining, and relatively impractical at that point in my life.

Nothing wrong at all with planning, though. And clearly you plan things out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
ngolbuff (12-26-2021), petemo94 (08-07-2022)
Old 12-26-2021, 01:39 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Maybe dial back on mod expenses until you have an opportunity to drive the new Z. Pick out a few of the lesser expensive mod plans, and spread them out on the calendar, just to keep you engaged with the car. In other words, put the air suspension and CF driveshaft on the back burner, at least until after you test drive the Z.

Back around 2010, when I was shopping G's, I kept going back & forth on Coupe vs. Sedan. Ultimately I chose the Sedan because it felt more open and comfortable. At the time, I also toyed with the idea of getting the 370Z, and even though the test-drive was awesome, the car felt so confining, and relatively impractical at that point in my life.

Nothing wrong at all with planning, though. And clearly you plan things out.
air and cf shaft are way down the list already. I was thinking of holding off on mods and saving at least until I can test drive. I saw that Nissan@Home thing too which seems interesting because if there isn't one in my area maybe they can bring me one. Maybe it depends on having one in my area, though.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:45 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 274 Likes on 184 Posts
I would hold off on a majority of the modifications if you are seriously considering a newer car. Once reviews are posted online I think that will help you set your expectations on what the Z will be. Few more months after the reviews are posted they should start showing up at dealerships so you can try and get a test drive.

I bought my C7 without ever test driving one. I was familiar with the C5-C6 platform so for the most part I knew what I was getting myself into. I would think the new Z will be a similar step up as its based on an existing platform with a new drivetrain and some suspension tweaks.
The following users liked this post:
AnotherVQ (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 10:51 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
If I was a bachelor, with no kids, the new Z would be high on my list over modifying my G if I was in your position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read the new Z is still on the FM platform with upgrades (benefit in my book, helps keep the cost down and the FM chassis has aged well). Better power train (and vetted via the Q50/60), 6MT or the ZF 9 speed which is undoubtedly going to be better than the JATCO unit. It's better in every category unless you absolutely need back seats. Assuming you only had your G for a year (year 1/5 of a 60 mo. loan) and you're already side eyeing another car kind of answers your question for you. I mean, your current mod list is almost going to be 3x what the G is even worth to get it to your liking and you're not even going FI. Based on that alone I would highly advise against modifying your G any further if you are remotely interested in the new Z.
The following users liked this post:
AnotherVQ (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Went back into your comment and noticed this:

Originally Posted by AnotherVQ
I'm making payments on my G still (to build credit) and I finish paying it off in November 2024. I could either buy a brand new Z or a lightly used and well-kept one. Meanwhile, the money I save not dumping it into mods that make little power difference (but decent visual difference) could be put towards the new Z. I may buy it outright or at least have a really good down payment.
Pay off your car, then get another one. Compacting debt is a really, really bad idea unless the accumulated payout of interest is lower than otherwise.

It's only two more years. Chill, read the reviews, test drive, and go for the long plan.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:16 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
If I was a bachelor, with no kids, the new Z would be high on my list over modifying my G if I was in your position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read the new Z is still on the FM platform with upgrades (benefit in my book, helps keep the cost down and the FM chassis has aged well). Better power train (and vetted via the Q50/60), 6MT or the ZF 9 speed which is undoubtedly going to be better than the JATCO unit. It's better in every category unless you absolutely need back seats. Assuming you only had your G for a year (year 1/5 of a 60 mo. loan) and you're already side eyeing another car kind of answers your question for you. I mean, your current mod list is almost going to be 3x what the G is even worth to get it to your liking and you're not even going FI. Based on that alone I would highly advise against modifying your G any further if you are remotely interested in the new Z.
That's pretty much the thinking I had. Thanks. And yes.. FM, 370z chassis, red sport engine, 9speed auto or 6speed manual.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:56 PM
Deannie
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AnotherVQ
I didn't pay too much attention to the new Z when all the information was coming out but I gave it a real good look last week and it's very compelling, especially if the price I'm told is going to be true. People are saying it has a base price of $35k and for the sports model it would be $40k. I would want that model, but I also saw online things that may indicate the base price is actually $40k. Either way it's a lot for the price.

When I was a teenager I was introduced to the GT-R from Gran Turismo 1 on PS1. I've always wanted one but lately have been reconsidering due to the price and the claims that it gets boring after you get used to it. I really like that in the G37 it's not boring even though I've owned it for 2+ years now.

My current plans for the G are: test pipes/catback/ypipe/re-tune/keyhole cover (~$2667 + install), re-tint windows with darker & ceramic tint and get new dashcam & sdcard (~$1300), steel reservoirs/z1 silicone hose set (~$682), shifter & boot (~$317), powder coating strut bar brackets again (?), 3" intakes & velocity stacks/coolant & oil catch can/76mm TBs/ported upper & lower/re-tune (~$3370 + install), re-delete chrome trim (~$525), vented hood/car wrap (~$4365), wheels/tires/lugs/valve caps/powder coated calipers (~$4643 + install), front & sider splitters/diffuser (~$1610), air suspension (~$4261 + install), CF drive shaft (~$1299 + install), subs & amp (~$1103).

The new Z at the price point it's going to be released at is much more attainable for me right now. I have spent about $12k on mods so far, including taxes/shipping/installation costs when applicable. The G I'm working on is mostly looks based and a little bit of power improvement. I tend not to cheap out on parts and sometimes I do things in a way that may cost more, for the sake of convenience. For example, the price I paid for my headlights is not something most people would pay. They would take theirs out and do it themselves or send them off. I'd say most G drivers just buy GT-R look-alike headlights for $400 and call it done.

Anyways, I had no plans to go FI on this car and I figured when I wanted something faster I would just get something faster, and do more power mods on that new car than I'm doing on my current one...

Like the new Z.

• The new Z comes in a really nice blue that I think I would be very satisfied with out of the box and has much more modern convenience included. I'm unsure on the quality of the navigation or if it will require that stupid system of paying for DVDs for subpar updates or not. I'm currently using a Garmin GPS despite my G having navigation due to this reason (and the OEM navigation is pretty bad).
  • The new Z also has the option of a very much improved 9 speed auto or a 6 speed manual, each compelling for their own reasons. It already has FI and I could simply put in test pipes or LTH, upgraded catback and a tune (possibly on E85) and should have a great amount of power. So out of the box it should be faster than my modded G and more fun to drive, probably.. but relatively easy to gain more out of it. The auto even has launch control and at this price point, that's very appealing.
  • The interior is very nice and I don't think it will have all the "old car quirks" my G does... like creaking noises when I turn into my driveway from the car body being flexed or when I take a roundabout and my body is pushed into the center of the vehicle causing the interior to creak. From the research i've done I think the new Z has more head room too, which I greatly appreciate. I'm 6 foot 3 and the sunroof of the G isn't doing me favors. I can easily have my head brushing the top of the car unless I slouch some. It's also a little less comfortable driving wearing boots.
  • I'm not sure I'd even want air suspension on the new Z. I think it may be fine with close to stock ride height on coilovers with swift springs, especially since this one is more power focused and already looks pretty great. That's a huge money saver instead of putting air in my G sedan.
  • I would lose the back seats and I think much of the trunk space... But I won't need as much trunk space since I won't need to run air. I don't usually have a need to carry more than 1 passenger and don't particularly care too much about the ability to, but I have made use of the back seats by leaning the passenger seat down and jamming a very long box into the car to bring it somewhere and have it shipped.
  • I'm making payments on my G still (to build credit) and I finish paying it off in November 2024. I could either buy a brand new Z or a lightly used and well-kept one. Meanwhile, the money I save not dumping it into mods that make little power difference (but decent visual difference) could be put towards the new Z. I may buy it outright or at least have a really good down payment.

So is there something I'm missing here? Aside from personal preference is there a reason to stick with the G sedan and not just buy the Z? I could part out things like my headlights and sell them for a really good amount and throw in some OEM headlights or GT-R style AlphaRex headlights and sell the car with those.. that way I don't lose a lot on the custom headlights.
By now you might’ve learned the Z is barely flowing into the US at a trickle and dealer markups are/will be at least $5K in most cases with many well over $10K. It’s patently XXXX to pay so much over MSRP, and it’ll likely be this way we’ll into 2023. My advice, enjoy your car, don’t put too much $$$ into it as you’re gonna sell/trade it in and won’t be able to recoup much of your investment. By the time the supply chain issues does down and prices return to normal (getting a Z under MSRP) it’ll be 2024 and you’ll have more money to buy the car and will likely pay a LOT less than the early adopters, plus you might even get some updates or different trim level availability that they didn’t have. All JMHO, so take that for what it’s worth.