MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Future Models (https://www.myg37.com/forums/future-models-204/)
-   -   My Q60...? Infiniti announces no more G (https://www.myg37.com/forums/future-models/242642-my-q60-infiniti-announces-no-more-g.html)

jwfisher 12-17-2012 07:06 PM

My Q60...? Infiniti announces no more G

Infiniti Announces New Naming Strategy
  • Infiniti models from the 2014 model year to carry Q or QX prefix
  • New nomenclature symbolizes new brand direction and the commitment to Infiniti under the leadership of Johan de Nysschen
  • The use of Q & QX captures the inspiration within the next generation of Infiniti models, while relating back to Infiniti's roots of the Q45
  • New premium sports sedan to launch at the North American International Auto Show in January will be first Infiniti to carry new Q badge

HONG KONG - Marking another significant step in its plan to further expand its presence in the premium automotive sector, Infiniti today announced details of a new nomenclature strategy to be applied to its complete product range beginning with the 2014 model year. The first model to carry Infiniti's new Q badge will be the Q50, an all-new premium sports sedan to be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in January 2013.

The premium automotive brand will see its model range simply prefixed either by Q – for sedans, coupes and convertibles, or QX, for crossover and SUV models. Each model will be further identified by a double digit representing hierarchy within the range.

This strategic change reflects Infiniti's desire for clarity and cohesiveness as it embarks on ambitious growth plans, including significant expansion of the Infiniti portfolio.

Commenting on the revised naming philosophy, Johan de Nysschen, President of Infiniti Motor Company Limited, said: "Over the past few months, we have talked at length with our retailers, our customers, and our business partners about our brand. The need for a new identity and direction to promote consumer familiarity with our model range as we expand the portfolio became evident. To achieve this, we clearly needed a simple and consistent nomenclature framework. After exhaustive research and evaluation, we concluded that 'Q' captured the inspiration within the next generation of Infiniti models, as well as emphasizing our performance credentials while harking back to our heritage with the Q45 – Infiniti's first iconic flagship product in 1989."

Infiniti's new nomenclature strategy will be implemented in logical stages within the existing product range, as 2014 model year variants are introduced. The brand's future plans include a range of next-generation Infiniti models that will carry Q and QX badging from the outset.

About Infiniti:
Infiniti, the premium automotive brand, reflects its brand promise "Inspired Performance" with a model line-up of sedans, coupes, SUVs and crossovers featuring exhilarating performance, emotive design and cutting edge technology. Infiniti continues to launch across the globe through a dedicated network of Infiniti Centers that share a commitment to exceptional hospitality throughout the entire period of ownership.

Infiniti was launched in 1989 in the United States. Infiniti's global footprint expanded into Canada in 1990, Taiwan in 1997, the Middle East in 2004, Korea in 2005 and Russia in 2006. Global expansion continued in 2007 with Infiniti Centres opening in the Ukraine and in one of the world's fastest growing luxury automotive markets, China. In 2008 Infiniti launched in Western and Central Europe, which has added 19 additional markets. Infiniti is sold globally in 47 markets to-date.

Since May 2012, Infiniti Motor Company Ltd.'s new global headquarters is situated in Hong Kong, headed by Johan de Nysschen as President of Infiniti on 1 July.

# # #
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec...ing-change.jpg

BLamb 12-17-2012 07:38 PM

not a fan of this naming convention. trying to pull a bmw with 1,3,4,5,6,7 series x1,x3,x5,x6... Also can't tell what size engine the car has anymore unless they're dropping to one per line.

bluedevils95 12-17-2012 07:40 PM

WOW!!! really?!?

JPSBLACKG37 12-17-2012 07:44 PM

Yeah not a fan... I'm sure we will all have fun in our Q's lol

G35sportsedan 12-17-2012 07:48 PM

QQ my G35 is not called a Q50 =X

this is going to be confusing, bad call by infiniti.

mishmosh 12-17-2012 07:48 PM

if everything has a Q, why bother with the Q???

Once again, infiniti is just copying it's German competitors with numbers separating the lines. SAD!

LH1 12-17-2012 07:51 PM

Terrible decision. :banghead:

"we clearly needed a simple and consistent nomenclature framework"

You already have one. This just confuses people.

bluedevils95 12-17-2012 07:54 PM

I don't know why they want to change the system to be like German.

GreyG 12-17-2012 07:55 PM

sounds stupid

Diego@Vossen 12-17-2012 07:59 PM

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...emplate=mobile

bluedevils95 12-17-2012 08:01 PM

baksdak 12-17-2012 08:02 PM

This is....interesting...and very Audi like with the A moniker and Q moniker. All the other makes I can think of right now also include engine displacement in the numbers...

dkmura 12-17-2012 08:08 PM

It's not hard to figure out. This move is to keep consumer perceptions from being swayed by nomenclature. Future Infiniti products (like every luxury car maker out there) will feature smaller engines for better fuel economy. So if the new G has, say a new 2.0-liter direct injected and turbocharged engine, the marque doesn't want to call it a 'G20T' or something like that. Consumers may feel that it's a downgrade from the current G37 as an example. All of these new products will be sold worldwide and I expect Infiniti will want to maintain or increase their current pricing structure.

muyrec 12-17-2012 08:09 PM

I forsee rename mod in the near future lmao :icon17:

sniper27 12-17-2012 08:17 PM

The only German brand that have a similar naming scheme is Audi. A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5 and Q7, not including the S and RS line. But BMW and Mercedes all have different number or letters for the models. S class, E class, C class, 3 series, 5 series, etc. In any regards, I don't love it or hate it. I don't see it as any more confusing than having to remember the G, EX, FX, QX, M, JX. Now we just have to remember numbers instead of letters.

alanz 12-17-2012 08:19 PM

!@#$ I am selling my G tomorrow!

BLamb 12-17-2012 08:20 PM

Sadly will also probably hurt our resale a bit now that the "G" will be a discontinued model.

BrewerZ 12-17-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLamb (Post 3563104)
Sadly will also probably hurt our resale a bit now that the "G" will be a discontinued model.

That's a good point. And I was looking forward to owning the new G sedan or coupe too :( Now it's gonna have the lame Q label. When I think Q I think large barge sedan.

:52:

G37Sam 12-17-2012 08:34 PM

Infiniti is planning for the future with this, yes it will suck a little now but the new naming nomenclature will open up many naming options for future upper and lower models. Let's face it, the current naming convention makes zero sense, we just got used to it.

jesse550 12-17-2012 08:43 PM

Wait till they throw in another X for the AWD sedans and coupes.

soolman32 12-17-2012 08:46 PM

This is an interesting move. They're new Q sedan better Wow the community at large with performance and style. All I'm going to say about that.

jwfisher 12-17-2012 08:52 PM

I have the perfect solution: send Johan de Nysschen to run Lincoln!

ashmostro 12-17-2012 09:01 PM

Derivative, but necessary methinks.

Annoyed at the trend that coupes are automatically considered higher grade even if they have the same running gear. Like BMW and its so called 4 series.

Agree that this is because of the pending downsize in engine displacements.

HappyG 12-17-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 3563099)
It's not hard to figure out. This move is to keep consumer perceptions from being swayed by nomenclature. Future Infiniti products (like every luxury car maker out there) will feature smaller engines for better fuel economy. So if the new G has, say a new 2.0-liter direct injected and turbocharged engine, the marque doesn't want to call it a 'G20T' or something like that. Consumers may feel that it's a downgrade from the current G37 as an example. All of these new products will be sold worldwide and I expect Infiniti will want to maintain or increase their current pricing structure.

If Infiniti want to hide the engine displacement on the badge, why can't they just name it "G". Not "G37". Not "Q50". Just simply "G". Simple as that!

dkmura 12-17-2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BLamb (Post 3563104)

Resale would be affected anyway. The release of a new model tends to do that. But there is a potential upside: could the G37 become a performance icon in the future? The VQ37VHR could conceiveably have the most output of any engine and we may look wistfully at the days when premium fuel remained affordable at $4/gallon. Kinda like the days when we filled up Boss 429 Mustangs and Hemi Cudas with 78 cent/gallon gas...:JAMIN:

dkmura 12-17-2012 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by HappyG (Post 3563136)
If Infiniti want to hide the engine displacement on the badge, why can't they just name it "G". Not "G37". Not "Q50". Just simply "G". Simple as that!

They obviously considered and rejected this. Apparently "Q" has the image de Nysschen wanted going forward in the future. Simple as that.

jwfisher 12-17-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by eljoker (Post 3563140)
I havent heard anything on my end and i think this is ether a joke or just something being tossed around.

No, that's an Infiniti press release that went our worldwide today.

MACS 12-17-2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ashmostro (Post 3563133)
Derivative, but necessary methinks.

Annoyed at the trend that coupes are automatically considered higher grade even if they have the same running gear. Like BMW and its so called 4 series.

Agree that this is because of the pending downsize in engine displacements.

Agreed. For 2011 the Sedan was, what?, 100-150 lbs lighter with the same engine?

IMO - Sedan>coupe. 4 doors are better'n 2, dammit.

On a related note - Brought my wife's Lexus to the dealer today to have her TPMS sensor reset (it wouldn't clear for some reason). The Lexus dealer is 200 yds from the Infiniti dealer. The entire operation, showroom, building, parking, car lot, service department, etc... makes the Infiniti dealer look like they aren't even trying. It's monstrous. The service area is immense, and covered, and it has a tile floor for crying out loud.

They don't have a coffee pot... they have a snack area inside that looks like a Starbucks, complete with a barrista to make your coffee (free, of course) or give you a bottle of water, or a muffin or danish. I was impressed, and I don't impress easily.

My wife's car (and Lexus in general) has a much nicer interior. Their fit and finish is just better, the leather softer. Where Infiniti excels over the Lexus (IS-F excluded) is performance, IMO. But really... a 306 hp IS 350 with 277 lb ft vs a 328 hp G37 with 269 lb ft is pretty damn similar. The IS is almost 200 lbs lighter, too, so they'd probably be a dead heat in a 1/4 mile.

I guess what my rambling boils down to is - I am probably going to get a Lexus next. No time soon, mind you, my G is 2 years old and paid for... but I did inspect the hell out of the IS-F and the IS 350 while I was there. :D

monty2003 12-17-2012 09:45 PM

Dumb. (extra characters so I can meet the 8 character limit)

jwfisher 12-17-2012 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MACS (Post 356315)
I guess what my rambling boils down to is - I am probably going to get a Lexus next. No time soon, mind you, my G is 2 years old and paid for... but I did inspect the hell out of the IS-F and the IS 350 while I was there. :D

The IS is also about to go obsolete, and is being replaced by a much larger car.

MACS 12-17-2012 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jwfisher (Post 3563164)
The IS is also about to go obsolete, and is being replaced by a much larger car.

*sigh* :52:

Well, lucky for me I have plenty of time to figure out what I want next. I would really like an IS-F.

I'd like every day to be steak and nobber day, too, but that ain't happenin'.:icon30:

6mtg37s 12-17-2012 11:02 PM

Infiniti changes names for all models.. this is the end

So they have decided to change all the model's names to q and qx.. not a smart decision in my opinion. Here is the story.
Infiniti Announces New Naming Strategy - Infiniti Online Newsroom

6mtg37s 12-17-2012 11:20 PM

oops, didnt know this thread was alive, couldnt find anything on it. Anyways, I for one think this is a horrible idea, Q50 doesnt symbolize motor or car..

1cleanG 12-17-2012 11:21 PM

The one thing I will say about this, is their excuse for changing the lineup just isn't justifiable. Its confusing for people? ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about Infiniti's know the differences and knows each and every model.

I don't agree with the change...but I won't bash it. I'll await to see where they go with this to have a full judgement....

For anyone that says, "oh they're copying Audi or BMW"..., yeah, they aren't really trying to hide that fact...

"We need to communicate and explain it to people and also our dealers," he said. "But it will be a clean change and we don't expect any negative fallout or loss of sales.

"I have experienced this once before in my life," de Nysschen pointed out, referring to Audi's naming changeover in the 1990s, before he ran the U.S. subsidiary. "Everybody thought the end of the world had arrived. But actually, it went very, very smoothly."

Elitex 12-17-2012 11:29 PM

Infiniti Announces New Naming Scheme for all 2014 Models

Interesting, just saw this at Edmunds Insideline.

Infiniti Announces New Naming Scheme for all 2014 Models

Just the Facts:
  • Infiniti is changing its naming strategy for 2014.
  • All cars will carry the "Q" designation followed by a number, and "QX" will be used for SUV and crossover models.
  • The replacement for the G sedan will debut at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show as the Infiniti Q50.

HONG KONG — Infiniti is changing its naming scheme for the 2014 model year, and the first car to debut under the new nomenclature will be the replacement for the G sedan, due in dealerships the second half of 2013.
Set to debut at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show, the Infiniti Q50 compact sports sedan will lead the Infiniti car lineup into the new naming structure, where all sedans, coupes and convertibles will carry the "Q" designation followed by a number, and "QX" will be used for SUV and crossover models.
Beginning with the 2014 model year, the Infiniti M will become the Q70, and the G coupe and convertible will be renamed Q60. The Infiniti QX will be called QX80, FX becomes QX70, JX will be QX60, and the EX crossover will be known as the QX50.
Infiniti President Johan de Nysschen said in a statement that the company, in the process of increasing its global presence, needs "a new identity and direction to promote consumer familiarity" with its model range as it expands the portfolio, and to achieve this it needs a "simple and consistent nomenclature framework."
"It's difficult for consumers in Europe or Asia to understand the difference between G and M." Not so in the U.S., de Nysschen said, but increasing numbers will help to distinguish the obvious hierarchy — the higher the number, the more senior the vehicle determined by price point.
The numbers bear no relationship to engine size. According to de Nysschen, "secondary badging on the fender will be used to denote engine capacity."
"Q captured the inspiration within the next generation of Infiniti models, as well as emphasizing our performance credentials while harking back to our heritage with the Q45— Infiniti's first iconic flagship product in 1989," said de Nysschen.
Edmunds says: After leading Audi in the U.S., Infiniti's new chief thinks a more Germanic naming strategy will put the Japanese company on better terms with consumers.

Purpul 12-17-2012 11:47 PM

Hmmmmm Q60,doesnt have the ring to it

eljoker 12-17-2012 11:55 PM

Petion time anyone? Ford tried this once with everything starting Witt the letter F. Look how long that lasted.

blnewt 12-18-2012 12:00 AM

What the hell does the 50 stand for? Must be the new starting MSRP in thousands.
Not a good move IMO.
Reminds me of that goofy nomenclature Saab used very unsuccessfully :(

Mike@Vossen 12-18-2012 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by jwfisher (Post 3563164)

IS keeps name it's just a new generation with F-sport option again and IS F to
Come. Gains hybrid in Europe.

Elitex 12-18-2012 12:09 AM

I don't like it either. Q50 just doesn't sound right. I think it's a bad move.

Skyline6mt 12-18-2012 12:13 AM

not feeling it at ALL! What's the point in having everything start with Q?

Eff it Skyline badging hahaa

Bo0m 12-18-2012 12:43 AM

where I live, the buses though...
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Zqvb2Pu6j5s/0.jpg

DeamonG37s 12-18-2012 01:15 AM

Definite D Badge sounds soo boring. Why would they go with price range so stupid.

6mtg37s 12-18-2012 03:35 AM

They aren't really coping BMW, Audi or MB, they are copying Volvo .. S40 S60 S80. But it's best to wait and see how it turns out, they will still continue to produce great cars (hopefully).

mcgrible 12-18-2012 05:01 AM

wow.... this is a letdown. many premium German cars don't even go by true engine displacement anymore ( ie bmw: 2013 328 = 2.0t i4, 335 = 3.0t i6, 650 = 4.4t v8)

why the heck do you need to change up the entire lineup just to prove a few things....... VERY bad move.

And if it was to conceal the whole "emissions" thing with smaller displacement engines, why would you bump up our g25/37 into a Q50/60. It defeats the whole smaller number game.....

Oh it makes sense, the current CEO worked for Audi before. Great.

Next car, M4.

SwissCheeseHead 12-18-2012 08:05 AM

I don't think it's that big of a deal. It will only affect the current Infiniti owners who know about the brand. Would you not buy an Infiniti because of it's letter designation? And for the new customers looking at the Infiniti brand, it will make sense that the higher number will signify a higher tiered vehicle. We're just used to the current naming system.

jarvo 12-18-2012 08:40 AM

I think this is a horrible idea. It makes it seem like Volvo's modeling classification.

S40, S60, S80. Why conform with the initial front leader and vary by the number? Mercedes, Lexus, BMW and even Infiniti had it figured out the first time.

Letter signifies model, number indicates engine.

This is a stupid move which will not only confuse but, in my opinion, cheapen the appeal of the brand.

An unfamiliar will say "Oh, you drive an Infiniti Q? Those thing is hideous. I saw a one and it was terrible looking!"

Infiniti Owner: "No, you saw the Q80, I drive a Q60"

Unfamiliar: "Well its still a Q, so I am sure it looks the same"

chilibowl 12-18-2012 08:42 AM

Im sure in order to pull this off...the new "Q50" with the Sport package is gonna blow everyone away. Hella sexiness, hella power, hella luxury.

jmann 12-18-2012 09:13 AM

Interestingly, the numbers kind of indicate the number of thousands of dollars the top spec models are priced at. I say kind of, but the most expensive vehicle on my dealer's lot was actually an AWD fx50 sport, not the QX56 as I would have guessed.

jwfisher 12-18-2012 09:25 AM

Let's hope Johan de Nysschen isn't planning on hiring Chris Bangle as his next strategic step. That would be another stupid move.

Skyline33 12-18-2012 09:52 AM

This has got to be the worse move ever by Infiniti!

If they really wanted to change their naming structure so bad why not go with the JDM name's, G/Skyline, M/Fuga, EX/Skyline Crossover.

Kidcane 12-18-2012 09:55 AM

I am more about the power and features. I dont care if they called it the "Smickledorf Series". It's just a name and I debadge all my cars anyway.

jwfisher 12-18-2012 09:58 AM

There is the question of what happens to the Skyline... will it continue with that name in Japan only, or will it be an Infiniti as well? We'll have to watch the announcements in Japan next month for the answer.

bluedevils95 12-18-2012 09:59 AM

Well, looks like my next car will be Lexus

Diego@Vossen 12-18-2012 10:26 AM

Q for Quick cause they better launch TT's with a Synchro Rev 6mt. Just saying lol.

G37Sam 12-18-2012 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bluedevils95 (Post 3563327)

LOL stop being so dramatic will ya! It's just a name, if everyone here was name and badge huggers we wouldn't be driving Infiniti's in the first place!

chilibowl 12-18-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by bluedevils95 (Post 3563327)

Go to Lexus then, to your smooth 8 speed automatic.

Ill stick by Infiniti Q and smoke your *** :D

Diego@Vossen 12-18-2012 10:42 AM

I agree with Sam, yes i know the name change shocked us all, however this could be a good move. I won't bash them just yet until the reveal of the "Q50" sedan., this will give us a great idea of what to expect for the next coupe. Also they mentioned the IPL models, so if there is a Q60IPL Coupe version i am crossing my fingers and hoping it will be a success. I love the G name and the rep it has so i am to a bit sad this is happening but i still love the brand and will give them the benefit of the doubt that they won't let their fans down. As long as a more powerful coupe comes with those sexy lines we all love, i will be happy to jump in one. It's a few weeks away for the Sedan unveil, lets see.

bluedevils95 12-18-2012 10:44 AM

I was looking at the IS-F and nothing else. That is in my budget. Think you can still smoke me. Lol

chilibowl 12-18-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bluedevils95 (Post 3563342)
I was looking at the IS-F and nothing else. That is in my budget. Think you can still smoke me. Lol

The new "Q" will be Turbo...and then UpRev or Osiris will release a flash mod, and I will be making 450whp :bowrofl::bowrofl: , so yesssss, after my super duper flash, I will still smoke you :D

bluedevils95 12-18-2012 10:56 AM

Dont worry i am will either supercharge or turbo the ISF. That will see over 600 when i am done with it. Lol

Black Betty 12-18-2012 10:56 AM

Best thread evar! if I didn't know what this thread was about, judging from the reactions I'd presume that Infiniti had just announced that they are powering every model with a 1.4L bio diesel engine and the only paint color being offered was pastel purple. But clearly changing the nomenclature is much more important than that.

Obviously this requires that I go out right now and buy all available OEM model badging that I can find for current model Infiniti vehicles before they are all sold out because they will be extremely rare and valuable collectors commodities in the near future.

Clearly they did this specifically to curb the ridiculous trend of North American market vehicles being rebadged as JDM vehicles. Because now those same owners will feel a sense of nostalgia and want to badge their new Q60 as an "old school" G37.

:D

stratos 12-18-2012 11:00 AM

I'll let the marketing guys worry about naming the thing. They get paid a lot of money to come up with strategies that will help the company in the long run.

I'm more interested in the quality of the product itself. That's what will influence my buying decision in the future, not the name itself.

Having said that, ...

Welcome to the Q Continuum boys and girls :icon38:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...82/Q,_2372.jpg

Diego@Vossen 12-18-2012 11:04 AM

LOL ^^^ G37 will be a special car to own now that the G name is not carrying over. Long live the Q. TT Q comes everyone gonna sell the G.

Black Betty 12-18-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by stratos (Post 3563351)
I'll let the marketing guys worry about naming the thing. They get paid a lot of money to come up with strategies that will help the company in the long run.

I'm more interested in the quality of the product itself. That's what will influence my buying decision in the future, not the name itself.

Blasphemy! It's all about the image not the product! What the hell kind of consumer are you that bases a decision about the second most expensive thing you will likely ever buy in your life on the merits of the product and not what it's called? That's silly!

stratos 12-18-2012 11:19 AM

Well, beats the heck out of grubbing a pitchfork and lighting a torch and trying to get through security on my way to Hong-Kong to meet these other guys in here. :D

Black Betty 12-18-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by stratos (Post 3563360)
Well, beats the heck out of grubbing a pitchfork and lighting a torch and trying to get through security on my way to Hong-Kong to meet these other guys in here. :D

Sorry, I forgot to put this at the end of my reply to your post. :rolleyes:

:)

Sython 12-18-2012 11:23 AM

I honestly think this is for two big reasons

1.) Engine downsizing and egos of the Infiniti customer base. The next G is probably (well more than likely definitely) will be smaller than a 3.7L. So if it is, the car would be named G30 or something. Well to the average consumer who doesn't understand cars, this is a downgrade. A Q50 with the number meaning nothing keeps the ego stroked, just like how the 323i, 325i, and 330i will probably never return. I'd assume the Q50/Q60 with have an x and S variant as well. I also agree with prior posts saying this is good for pricing on Infiniti's part.

2.) Internationally, Infiniti is finally gaining steam thanks to the Red Bull sponorship amont other marketing endeavours, so they need an extremely simple naming system that can be used in all countries and not just a US system / International system.

I enjoy the G nomenclature but will be sad to see it go. If the Q50/Q60 is as awesome as the G35/G37 has been, honestly I won't care long term.

jmann 12-18-2012 11:24 AM

[Oprah] You drive a Q, and You drive a Q, EVERYBODY DRIVES A Q!!![/Oprah]

soundmike 12-18-2012 11:27 AM

In other news. The new IPL is Porky Pig's new QIPL. All show, no go. They like it QIPled (crippled) like that.

Black Betty 12-18-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike (Post 3563366)
In other news. The new IPL is Porky Pig's new QIPL. All show, no go. They like it QIPled (crippled) like that.

That's not really that funny at all Mike. You are so much better than this! Try again.

Tazicon 12-18-2012 11:34 AM

I sure didn't buy my car cause it said G37 on it.................I bought it because I liked it.

Sython 12-18-2012 11:36 AM

I wonder what will happen with the "IPL" name? Either way, I hope the next one is way, way more hardcore than the current one lol.

soundmike 12-18-2012 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 3563367)
That's not really that funny at all Mike. You are so much better than this! Try again.

Hmmph.

:5091:

chilibowl 12-18-2012 01:13 PM

In my honest opinion, this Johan guy from Audi, may very well be Infiniti’s next best thing. He only recently took office and 6 months isn’t really much time to really show his potential. Audi never built boring cars, and I cant imagine this guy pussifying the new Q. In order for this name change to really be successful, the all-new Infiniti Q50 (It sounds pretty good when you say the entire name) has to be an incredible car. The G is Infiniti’s best selling car and usually car companies go all out on their bread and butter car when it’s a whole new design. I have a feeling we will all be in for an amazing treat on January 14…. If Johan has truly made the car a raw driving experience, it will be an instant home run. You guys cant forget that Nissan is the true designer of this vehicle, and Nissan has always built drivers cars. Imagine what a true Japanese heritage and a little bit of European finesse can do for a car.

When you really think about it, the new Q50 is a TRUE mutt of a car. Why do I say this? Check me out…

-Built on Mercedes C-Class chassis
-Engine designed and built by Nissan
-Inspired by a new CEO who previously worked for Audi, a European company who builds very luxurious and exhilarating cars.

I can only predict that the new Q50 will not only be quieter, bigger but yet wider, lighter, faster, and lower to the ground, with the most luxury Infiniti has ever put in any of their vehicles, including an interior much more superior to the current M's.

jwfisher 12-18-2012 01:47 PM

6 months are not enough time to do anything major or minor... the specs of the car were already locked in place. He has been handed the successor to the G - like it or not.

And, yes, he had US market requirements input to Audi - but not responsibility for design.

jwfisher 12-18-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by chilibowl (Post 3563406)

-Built on Mercedes C-Class chassis
-Engine designed and built by Nissan
-Inspired by a new CEO who previously worked for Audi, a European company who builds very luxurious and exhilarating cars.

I can only predict that the new Q50 will not only be quieter, bigger but yet wider, lighter, faster, and lower to the ground, with the most luxury Infiniti has ever put in any of their vehicles, including an interior much more superior to the current M's.

We don't know yet what Mercedes parts, if any, are a part of the new G, er, Q50/60. Or vice-versa. The spy pics of the final prototypes show a car almost identical in size, maybe 3-4" wider, with the exact same tire size and height, exact same sport rotors and Akebono calipers. It's not any lower, the width gain is negligible. And given that the calipers are in the exact same position as the existing G, I really have to wonder who designed what - or if at all. This may just be the next step in the evolution of the FM platform.

The current C-class chassis is no great shakes: it's smaller, narrower, and heavy. Dynamics are poor. Presumably we won't get stuck with that, and if there is any sharing the Germans will come out of it much better off than they are now. Frankly I have to wonder what the exact deal is here since Nissan has excellent cash flow and resources on it's own to further develop the excellent FM chassis as well as the rumored joint FWD car.

We won't know until next month, and maybe not even then, but I do have to wonder how much if anything came from Mercedes.

In any case, we know the chassis won't take a backwards step (statements from Execs have clearly said that chassis dynamics is a priority), so the next item of interest is the drivetrains: some sort of 4 (think "EcoBoost"), a diesel, and a VQ variant. I think it's obvious there will be multiple choices in the Q60/70. And since the platform will undoubtedly be used for the next M and FX, will it be capable of accommodating a V8 again, and which one? 5 or 5.6 liter? I don't think we'll see a new M or FX until a year from now. And in the meantime, we will have a new Q coupe to look forward to as well.

Marc Collins 12-18-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s (Post 3563271)
They aren't really coping BMW, Audi or MB, they are copying Volvo .. S40 S60 S80. But it's best to wait and see how it turns out, they will still continue to produce great cars (hopefully).

The S in Volvo stood for sedan (with V for wagons). The A in Audi is pretty obvious. What does Q mean again?

Black Betty 12-18-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jwfisher (Post 3563428)
6 months are not enough time to do anything major or minor

Except strengthen the sponsorhip ties between Red Bull Racing (3 time defending Driver and Constructor Formula 1 World Champions) and Infiniti from an associate sponsor agreement to primary name sponsor of the team. If you don't follow motorsport at all you may not even know this. However this is a very major deal.

In 6 months on the job he's initiated a brand makeover as well. How well it goes over when the time actually comes remains to be seen, but he's already done quite a lot in a short time on the job IMO.

Black Betty 12-18-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Marc Collins (Post 3563485)
The S in Volvo stood for sedan (with V for wagons). The A in Audi is pretty obvious. What does Q mean again?

From the press announcement quoted in the first post in the thread.

After exhaustive research and evaluation, we concluded that 'Q' captured the inspiration within the next generation of Infiniti models, as well as emphasizing our performance credentials while harking back to our heritage with the Q45 – Infiniti's first iconic flagship product in 1989.

G37Sam 12-18-2012 02:57 PM

I can see a right wing and a left wing forming already haha

mcgrible 12-18-2012 03:09 PM

any thoughts on engine displacements ? whats going to happen with the 3.7L?

I was flipping through some prototype videos earlier and heard the sound the car makes, it does still sound like a V6.

But honestly speaking, the next gen car will without a doubt pack more weight and size so I was hoping we would get a few more engine choices.

Most likely we'll get an efficient 2 liter turbo'ed i4 for the base range and some sort of forced induction 3 liter 6 stroke for the high end. And as for the next IPL, just throw in the R35 gtr engine in :JAMIN:

jwfisher 12-18-2012 03:36 PM

I was under the impression from various interviews and leaks that it was a 2.4 liter supercharged engine being developed and that it would be used in various Nissan corporate products. And, if you saw the video of Jay Leno visiting the design bureau for the new Z, perhaps in that as well. FM platform or not also TBD.

And, BTW, the head of the GT-R engineering said that there was no way that engine was going into anything else. And, frankly, IMHO, it wouldn't work anywhere near as well with only 2-wheel drive. I have 80% of that power in my supercharged RWD G and traction is a major bummer. It's not that the GT-R really makes all that much power, and it certainly weighs a helluva lot - it's the ability of the GT-R to put it down onto the ground. Duplicate that in a Q, and it would cost 95k and weigh 4200 pounds.

MACS 12-18-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by G37Sam (Post 3563503)
I can see a right wing and a left wing forming already haha

Well, thanks to Black Betty's not-so-subtle sarcasm, I have already flip-flopped!

I see the error of my ways, sir... what's in a name? I'm still not thrilled about it, but BB makes a valid point. If it improves upon an already successful vehicle, I will buy it no matter what they call it.

Black Betty 12-18-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MACS (Post 3563571)
Well, thanks to Black Betty's not-so-subtle sarcasm, I have already flip-flopped!

I see the error of my ways, sir... what's in a name? I'm still not thrilled about it, but BB makes a valid point. If it improves upon an already successful vehicle, I will buy it no matter what they call it.

What is this sarcasm of which you speak? I was dead serious. If not for the horrible names, I would own an R8, a 458, and a 911. But WTF is up with those names? What do they mean? An R8 has a V10 engine. Naming fail! I was going to get a 458 until I realized that was a random stupid number and not the engine displacement in cubic inches. Idiotic. And the 911? Since they didn't rename it after the events in NYC on that September morning 11 years ago, they must be supporting the terrorists!

Infiniti is screwing up big time because I could easily come out of a store to find that 2 other Infinitis have parked on either side of me and the names are so similar, how will I know which one is mine?!?!?! I mean sure one is a convertible and one is a huge SUV and mine is a coupe, but come on! I will decide on the next car I buy strictly based on how cool the name is. Regardless of how awesome the car itself might be. THAT makes sense. :NOD:

MACS 12-18-2012 04:59 PM

You can stop now. You've already hammered home your point. :7:

:biggthumpup:

gt_performah 12-18-2012 05:20 PM

As far as I'm concerned its appropriate the G should be the Q being that the G series has been Infiniti's "flagship" for the past 10-11 years.

No one is going pass up on this car because it is no longer a "G". That's just silly. People will pass on it if it does not live up to the competition and the BMW 4 concept looks kind of sweet so the next Q coupe better bring its A game.

Black Betty 12-18-2012 05:21 PM

Many of us (including myself) tend to rush to our keyboards and post reactionary (and often ridiculous in the sober light of reflection) posts before taking time to digest information and reason on it. I blame our instant information society.

Whether the names suck or not, it isn't going to stop an intelligent person from buying a good vehicle if it suits their needs or wants. If they were to put different sheet metal on a GTR and call it a Q90 with an Infiniti badge, who would say it sucks? Besides the normal blowhard idiots who say such things and are generally ignored by intelligent people?

Corvair is a cool car name. So is Beretta. I could go on an on with cool names of crappy cars. And vice versa. "250 GTO" doesn't particularly excite, but the car seems to go for a lot of money whenever one comes up for sale. Gumpert is a funny sounding car name but I'd take one.

Tazicon 12-18-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sython (Post 3563369)
I wonder what will happen with the "IPL" name? Either way, I hope the next one is way, way more hardcore than the current one lol.

I wish they would just drop the IPL name/line altogether:D.......................

ashmostro 12-18-2012 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mcgrible (Post 3563524)

Most likely we'll get an efficient 2 liter turbo'ed i4 for the base range and some sort of forced induction 3 liter 6 stroke for the high end.

In light of the silliness on this thread, I just had to call this out for a friendly laugh :)

What would those other two strokes do? :p

jmann 12-18-2012 07:29 PM

Sounds like a new fetish feature, "auto-eroticism" Different strokes for different folks I guess....:driving:

ashmostro 12-18-2012 11:50 PM

Ummm... no comment lol

drive6MT 12-19-2012 12:56 AM

MyQ50.com

Apparently we'll all be driving Q50 Sedans very soon... only to be looking up to the Q60 Coupes in the 2014 Infiniti hierarchy.

G37 emblems may become collector's items - don't throw away those de-badge scraps and hide your floor mats.

(See Google news "Infiniti Q50")

eljoker 12-19-2012 01:26 AM

If I can't get a smoking employ price on a new Q50 or Q60 best believe it will be rebadged back to a G, call me rice but its heritage.

G37Sam 12-19-2012 01:46 AM

mj_39 12-19-2012 03:09 AM

I'm liking where this is heading! Can't wait to see what's in store for the upcoming years.

BKsInfiniti 12-19-2012 05:05 AM

Can't say I'm a fan of the Q and QX scheme. G spot > Q spot :BOUNCE:

INFINITI G37 12-19-2012 07:20 AM

New Naming Strategy for 2014 INFINITI models

Beginning with the 2014 model year, all Infiniti models will carry the prefix "Q" or "QX." As the picture below:

http://www.m5zn.com/img/?img=295637fd6fca7ae.png

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Diego@Vossen 12-19-2012 10:33 AM

Still excited to see the unveil.

volnedan 12-19-2012 10:54 AM

As long as we're all complaining, I kinda wish they at least went with the "JX" nomenclature for the SUVs. The JX model just came out, and it sounded pretty cool. They could have run with that.

I remember back when the name G37 was announced, everyone was complaining that it didn't roll off the tongue the way "G35" did. We all got accustomed to it very quickly.

Either way, I will most likely be getting the 2014 Q50 6MT when my lease is up next January, assuming they don't jack the price up ridiculously.