Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

My Q60...? Infiniti announces no more G

Old 12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Shift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read through the entire topic and these posts basically sum up the situation and my reactions.

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I don't think it's that big of a deal. It will only affect the current Infiniti owners who know about the brand. Would you not buy an Infiniti because of it's letter designation? And for the new customers looking at the Infiniti brand, it will make sense that the higher number will signify a higher tiered vehicle. We're just used to the current naming system.
Originally Posted by jwfisher
There is the question of what happens to the Skyline... will it continue with that name in Japan only, or will it be an Infiniti as well? We'll have to watch the announcements in Japan next month for the answer.
Originally Posted by Sython
I honestly think this is for two big reasons

1.) Engine downsizing and egos of the Infiniti customer base. The next G is probably (well more than likely definitely) will be smaller than a 3.7L. So if it is, the car would be named G30 or something. Well to the average consumer who doesn't understand cars, this is a downgrade. A Q50 with the number meaning nothing keeps the ego stroked, just like how the 323i, 325i, and 330i will probably never return. I'd assume the Q50/Q60 with have an x and S variant as well. I also agree with prior posts saying this is good for pricing on Infiniti's part.

2.) Internationally, Infiniti is finally gaining steam thanks to the Red Bull sponorship amont other marketing endeavours, so they need an extremely simple naming system that can be used in all countries and not just a US system / International system.

I enjoy the G nomenclature but will be sad to see it go. If the Q50/Q60 is as awesome as the G35/G37 has been, honestly I won't care long term.
Originally Posted by Black Betty
This message is Black Betty approved.

Shake the haters off Johan. So what does everyone who was pissing their pants about the car being called a Q have to say now? Still going to buy a Lexus? Be my guest.
Originally Posted by ashmostro
And this is precisely why he threw that bone... it will cause buzz, which the brand desperately needs. I just hope the platforms deliver because it's not just about the engines. If the chassis tuning is right and the transmissions are better, then this buzz will be well founded.
Originally Posted by lake985
I love that Infiniti is paying such close attention to everyone's reaction. Based on that press release, I'm not only more excited to see the upcoming Q50, but also looking forward to what Infiniti has up its sleeves for the M and G coupe...errr I mean Q70 and Q60.
When i first heard of this my first reaction was WTF!? but as i read through this topic my thinking and understanding of the entire Q nomenclature changed, especially after i read about the new 550 hp car Infiniti is planning. The G name will be missed as i've grown fond of the G35 and G37 names. The future awaits us, lets prepare for it now.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
Like someone else wrote - if Infiniti is using the Q for all vehicles, then why use it at all? I understand Infiniti's rationale for this change (avoiding diminished consumer perception because of engine downsizing), but BMW accomplished this successfully by sticking with well-branded nomenclature, i.e. the 328 which had a 3.0 I6 and now has a 2.0 turbo I4.

I don't like this new naming convention because I believe the G/G35/G37 naming has a substantial brand recognition in the marketplace. In fact, I read somewhere last night that Infiniti believes the G branding was even stronger than the Q branding they started with. I would have liked to have seen Infiniti stick with the G35 brand for the G series and just put in any motor they wanted. (MyQ50.com?????) (... when I learned about this yesterday I went into a huge rant about how the new naming convention is stupid and it might signal the end of Infiniti ... and even swore-off the Infiniti brand when my lease is up in August.)

Another post in this string stated that the Q designation made them think of a large barge like the original Q45, and I couldn't agree more. Another poster acknowledged that the nomenclature won't make a difference for any new buyers, which makes sense, but the amount of negative response among MyG37.com users is HUGE - if there is one thing I've learned professionally, it's to never alienate your base - and I fear that is what Infiniti is doing.

I actually received an online survey from Infiniti about this a few months ago - must have taken me 25 minutes to complete and it was all about naming convention and the consideration of using various letters, i.e. M, Q, C, etc., and how they conveyed luxury, performance, and value. Whoever the R&D people are on this - I think their jobs will be in jeopardy UNLESS the new Q50 sedan is an unbelievable knockout that helps drive the new naming convention to new heights. I hope for Infiniti's sake it all pays off - it's extremely risky.

Re: X/all-wheel-drive ... I am thinking Infiniti might go the route of BMW by omitting the "x" as part of the model name, i.e. no more 328iX/G37x, but instead use "Xdrive" or similar naming (ATTESA, sp? or i-AWD for their renamed "Intelligent All-Wheel Drive) that is not associated with the model name. However, I am not clear on how they will designate the motor. Q50 3.7 iAWD? And what if I get the sport package?? Or will that not be reflected in the naming?? Q50 3.7 S iAWD??? Q50s 3.7 iAWD?

(I really need to get a grip on my long posts...)

I honestly do not think they will be alienating a base, remember this forum represents a small fraction of the consumers. If you change vehicles because of it's name then well, that's kind of silly. Would you own an MP4-12c?

Look at the launch of the JX. BLASHEPMY! everyone cried, cvt, fwd terrible! Myself included. I own one now with how well it was built, how well it drove and guess what. It's our second most selling vehicle in the lineup. Doesn't sound like alienation to me. Just my 2 cents though.

Also keep in mind to all the people talking about how it's crap like audi and bmw..who outsells infiniti's right now?

But hey who cares anyways, world is going to end tomorrow
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Do we really care what the name of the car is (within reason). Lets see what they actually offer, then draw conclusions. A name is only a name. We don't get know what it truly stands for.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
vibrant_red_G37

Not sure if anyone has addressed this in previous comments (I didn't read ALL of them) but now all current Infinitis with the old nomenclature probably will see their resale values fall like bricks. Afterall who will want to buy a car that is preceived "old" with the designations of G, M etc.

On a different note: Johan is an Audi man and I see this as an Audification of the Infiniti line. Not a very original idea given Audi and the "A" designation. Sorry don't like the "Q" designation either. I always thought the Q45 was an ugly, bloated luxury boat and apparaently a lot of people felt that way too as the car was eventually dropped all together.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
kaoticdemize

Originally Posted by vibrant_red_G37
. I always thought the Q45 was an ugly, bloated luxury boat and apparaently a lot of people felt that way too as the car was eventually dropped all together.
the Q45 was actually well perceived and won many comparables. However the lack of direction for the company and lack of advertising along with the stigma of Infiniti not being luxury is what killed sales. People who owned them loved them and auto magazines has many positive remarks.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wongster
Well, they obviously have a branding issue if you keep calling them "Infinity" instead of "Infiniti".
So I am the reason why they are changing the model name.

Originally Posted by MACS
I was actually thinking "Wow... people who can't even spell Infiniti correctly are pissed about a name change". Ironic, ain't it?

I, admittedly, over-reacted as well... but I know that Infiniti is a car and Infinity is a speaker.
You are the wise one; a 12 year old boy in my neighborhood keep telling me the same thing.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:45 PM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vibrant_red_G37
Sorry don't like the "Q" designation either. I always thought the Q45 was an ugly, bloated luxury boat and apparaently a lot of people felt that way too as the car was eventually dropped all together.
What Q45 are you referring too? The original Q45 was far from bloated. It had a sleek athletic design much like the Acura Legend. What many also don't know, because Infiniti didnt exist in their minds until the G, is the original Q45 beat the LS in multiple comparisons. It was always the sportier of the two.

The reason the Q didnt sell was due to advertising and a bad perception as kaoticdemize wrote but "sporty" flagships took a backseat to the bloated soft rides offered by the LS and the S Class. This is why both the 3rd generation Acura Legend (RL) and the 2nd generation Q45 became LS wannabees. You can't blame them for following the success of Lexus.

Today the direction of the market is different and sportiness has become a significant part of what luxury cars offer. Infiniti went back to their roots when they built the G and it worked out. It proves sometimes its not about what you offer but when you offer it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 PM
vibrant_red_G37

Originally Posted by gt_performah
The reason the Q didnt sell was due to advertising and a bad perception as kaoticdemize wrote but "sporty" flagships took a backseat to the bloated soft rides offered by the LS and the S Class. This is why both the 3rd generation Acura Legend (RL) and the 2nd generation Q45 became LS wannabees.
You made my point exactly-why would Infiniti in their infinite marketing wisdom want to memorialize, what they and the rest of the car industry knew; that the Q series be it sporty or not, was an unmitigated failure that almost ended Infiniti before it even got started?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 PM
kaoticdemize

For the roots, it's not like they are redoing the Q all over again. I think your weighing too heavy on the old Q moniker. In any case, Infiniti has finally built it's brand up to a point of success, so they can take these kind of chances. Correct that the G saved Infiniti in 2002 when a vote of 70 to 30 passed to launch it instead of killing the brand. BUT the letter G did not save Infiniti, the car did, will be no different this time.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Shift

The one thing i have against the "Q" is that it doesnt sound luxurious or sporty at all. Their slogan is "Inspired Performance" and their nomenclature does not represent nor sound like a performance oriented vehicle. So with these new name designations, how is the resale value going to fall? Im actually looking out for a G37 so this may benefit me
Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^ The same way the "G" originally meant an underpowered FWD mini-sedan turned nice sporty RWD sedan -- through proper marketing and buyer as well as media reviews. The product will sell itself and name/brand recognition will follow it.

It takes time to build a brand, they know the risks involved with doing something as drastic as this, but it has to be done and i'm sure they already know how to change people's minds about it. It's all a matter of time.

FWIW, outside of car enthusiast circles, a lot of your everyday Jane's and Joe's still think the G is an alternative (FWD) luxury car from a pseudo-BMW company. Hmm, come to think of it, most of the buyers can't even tell between FWD and RWD, or what those acronyms mean. Some folks even buy it just because it's an "Infiniti", much the same reason BMW sells a lot of 325/328s... it gets them into the brand and not because they're driving the UDM.

<--- works on branding in real life
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM
nickaggie
Registered Member

Good reason to debadge my next Infiniti.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
You are the wise one; a 12 year old boy in my neighborhood keep telling me the same thing.
Yeah, I kind of figured that was your demographic.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
Yeah, I kind of figured that was your demographic.
No it is not my demographic, however for some reason 12 year old likes to boast their smart to me.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 AM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
So, for those that re-badge back to the G37, can you call that JDM?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Q60...? Infiniti announces no more G