Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

500HP Infiniti G37 twin-turbo on tap for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:35 PM
peterbanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500HP Infiniti G37 twin-turbo on tap for 2010

May we first present to you a grain of salt, which you should take with what we're about to say. A comment left on an earlier post today confirming the G37 Coupe's new name led us to the Freshalloy forums where a member had recently posted some tantalizing information.

The Freshalloy forum member relays information he obtained from the owner of his local Nissan/Infiniti dealership that includes not only confirmation of the new G37 name four days before today's official announcement, but also speculation that the larger engine will produce 325 horsepower "out of the box". On a follow up visit, the forum member learned that a possible 330-hp variant of the G37 is also currently being tested at sea level. Finally, the owner said that the new G37 will be in dealerships this summer around July or August.

The real nugget of speculation that interests us, however, is the possibility that Infiniti will produce an all-wheel drive, twin-turbocharged version of the G37 in 2010 that will produce 500 horsepower. Such a car sounds a lot like the Nissan GT-R, the first production Skyline ever to be sold in the U.S. Even though this news come from a forum post written by a guy who talked to some dealer, and its validity can in no way be confirmed at this time, we have to admit that it makes sense to us.

We're well aware that Infiniti dealers were not happy when one Carlos Ghosn announced the GT-R would be badged a Nissan, so an ultra high-performance version of the G37 is one relatively easy way to appease those dealers. We also presume that the G37 Coupe and GT-R will share a good deal of hardware, which makes us wonder if the GT-R's powerplant will turn out to be a twin-turbo version of the G37's 3.7L VQ V6, rather than the 3.5L version. That would certainly explain the blistering lap times a prototype was turning at Laguna Seca last month.

Oh yeah, the dealer is expecting a G37 convertible in 2009. You may now exit the rumormill.

Check It: AutoBlog
Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 PM
GEE PASTA

Old news.

I heard from a salesman that its a diesel power twin turbo.

I bet many will be surprised with a new 3.7 liter in the coupe.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Potty_Pants

grain of salt was in his first line...

he's just relaying information... wether good bad or just plain wrong its still info... if you get enough rumors you can put the pieces together.

but I'll admit 2010 is quite a bit off...

ppp
Old 03-25-2007, 05:11 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=165296
Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 PM
dec55

If Lexus is making 400 hp cars....Infiniti has too compete....no doubt.

The Viper is already going into 600hp territory just to stay ahead.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:42 PM
GGG Ya

viper? that doesn't have anything to do with infiniti
but i don't know about listening to what a dealer tells you, i feel like when i take my car in sometimes i know more about it than they do, although i definitely wouldn't mind him being right about 500hp
Old 03-25-2007, 08:14 PM
clokwork
Premier Member

that would be odd making a 500 hp variant of the G. They are putting so much behind the GT-R and its power. It would seem more likely to upgrade that to do such.

*with another grain of salt* Another 'rumor' is that there may be an infiniti variant of the GT-R. maybe this one would be the car to go into the 500 hp range. ((shrugs))
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 PM
panda007

500 hp? i highly doubt that.

keep in mind, the g is an 'entry level' car for infiniti, which is confirmed by the older g20's based off the sunny bluebird/sentras.

anyway, nissan is very familiar with turbocharged engines and i do anticipate the day nissan of na will release a car with one. in fact, i believe nissan will release one... but it's a matter of time. as for 500 hp, no... i am certain they'll keep the hp figures within current ratios. at 2010, who knows... maybe it'll be 350 hp sae, but never into high-performance territory.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:27 AM
gfastgfurious

bmw's 3 series is their entry level here in the usa, and they make the m3 out of it. infiniti's going after bmw for sure, as is lexus with their LF-A (sp?). audi's got the a5 coming out, the entry level coupe, and also the s5 version. they'll probably make an rs5 too.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 AM
dec55

Originally Posted by GGG Ya
viper? that doesn't have anything to do with infiniti
but i don't know about listening to what a dealer tells you, i feel like when i take my car in sometimes i know more about it than they do, although i definitely wouldn't mind him being right about 500hp
I am talking in comparison to the talk of a 500hp GTR....cars that have dominated the supercar markets for years like the Viper have already moved into 600hp territory...

And the competiton in general....of all sports car makes are moving up too...in hp. Infiniti to compete equally, will have to follow.

Last edited by dec55; 03-26-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
panda007

Originally Posted by gfastgfurious
bmw's 3 series is their entry level here in the usa, and they make the m3 out of it. infiniti's going after bmw for sure, as is lexus with their LF-A (sp?). audi's got the a5 coming out, the entry level coupe, and also the s5 version. they'll probably make an rs5 too.
you're right, but i wonder if nissan will justify establishing another marque based off the v37c to go up against bmw and audi's sport division.

i believe it's the GTR's job to obliterate anything below the intended performance territory. say that it's the big brother's job to take care of the pesky jocks bullying the younger brothers.

a thought to myself (and perhaps to those who care):
i've always longed for a y34 rb26dett powered gloria (the old m45) or stagea (station wagon!). this was nissan's power image prior to the fall of the rb series and model genocide.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by peterbanks
May we first present to you a grain of salt, which you should take with what we're about to say. A comment left on an earlier post today confirming the G37 Coupe's new name led us to the Freshalloy forums where a member had recently posted some tantalizing information.

The Freshalloy forum member relays information he obtained from the owner of his local Nissan/Infiniti dealership that includes not only confirmation of the new G37 name four days before today's official announcement, but also speculation that the larger engine will produce 325 horsepower "out of the box". On a follow up visit, the forum member learned that a possible 330-hp variant of the G37 is also currently being tested at sea level. Finally, the owner said that the new G37 will be in dealerships this summer around July or August.

The real nugget of speculation that interests us, however, is the possibility that Infiniti will produce an all-wheel drive, twin-turbocharged version of the G37 in 2010 that will produce 500 horsepower. Such a car sounds a lot like the Nissan GT-R, the first production Skyline ever to be sold in the U.S. Even though this news come from a forum post written by a guy who talked to some dealer, and its validity can in no way be confirmed at this time, we have to admit that it makes sense to us.

We're well aware that Infiniti dealers were not happy when one Carlos Ghosn announced the GT-R would be badged a Nissan, so an ultra high-performance version of the G37 is one relatively easy way to appease those dealers. We also presume that the G37 Coupe and GT-R will share a good deal of hardware, which makes us wonder if the GT-R's powerplant will turn out to be a twin-turbo version of the G37's 3.7L VQ V6, rather than the 3.5L version. That would certainly explain the blistering lap times a prototype was turning at Laguna Seca last month.

Oh yeah, the dealer is expecting a G37 convertible in 2009. You may now exit the rumormill.

Check It: AutoBlog
If you heard it from someone it's a rumor. Point blank. There won't be a 500 hp awd g37. Such a car is the new GT-R. Historically on the GT-R was awd. The other skylines, even though turbo were only rwd.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Balzac72
G SQUAD

PSHHHHHHH!

I HEARD that the new G37 will run in the 1.37 gigawatt class with an updated quad band flux capacitor. We won't be running that old school triple band flux capacitor in the 1.21 gigawatt range.

And if it doesn't get that, then its likely to be a marine diesel motor with aerodynamic barnacles that only deploy when the engine is running over 9,000 rpm.

PS. Has any dealership told you that the new G37 has an AWD system like we were told back in 2003 when we bought our brand new G35 coupes? I remember it vividly. Salesmen somehow know less than all other car related folks out there. They simply don't know jack schitt.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
frshgcoupe

why wouldnt infiniti come out with a high performance car?
1.Nissan and the GTR
2.Lexus and the new IS-F
3.Acura bringing the NSX back
4.Bmw new M3 coming out
5.Audi RS5 to come out
6.Toyota working on the Supra or watever they decide to call it
It makes perfect sense for a them to come out with a sick car like that why wouldnt they it may not be twin turbo 500hp but it will be something along the lines of the competition
Old 04-04-2007, 11:58 AM
dec55

Seems like 500hp is gonna be the norm, you already read that 600hp to 700hp..
are already the new bench marks for supercars.....:lol

Quick Reply: 500HP Infiniti G37 twin-turbo on tap for 2010