How do you deal with leaves in the fall - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > The Lounge OT > The Lounge (Off Topic) > Finer Living
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with leaves in the fall

Notices
Finer Living You've got the car-- but do you have the life? Discuss good eats, good drink, good threads. Want the latest toys? Want to live it up? This is your place.

How do you deal with leaves in the fall

Old 10-25-2016, 11:08 AM
  #1  
TBau651
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
TBau651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 203
Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts
How do you deal with leaves in the fall

So, here's the deal.. We bought our first house this summer after living in apartments and town houses for several years. We are on a lot and a half and have a pretty large yard especially considering the area we are in. In said yard, we have 6 or 7 mature oak trees and a couple pines as well. I love the yard, tons of space and privacy, and a very woodsy vibe. The trees are great during the summer because they provide tons of shade to the house, we didn't have to turn the AC on once this summer.

So here's the problem... It's not summer anymore, and the leaves are accumulating at a rate that make you think there is some type of magnetic force pulling them down from the trees. We have all the basic yard stuff you'd expect; a good mulching mower, leaf blowers, large rakes, whiskey, etc. I have been trying out some different strategies for getting the leaves corralled and bagged up but I'm always searching for ways to be more efficient.

So far this has worked fairly well:
our property is kind of divided into 4 areas of lawn,
so I start by blowing all the leaves off the deck and driveway and into the nearest area of lawn. Use the blower to corral them into sections and spread them evenly across the lawn. Then, fire up the mower set to mulch and go to town.

-The issue here is that the mower bag fills up almost immediately, and I feel like too much time is spent stopping and emptying it into the lawn bags. Side note, we are not in an area where you can blow them onto the boulevard and wait for the city to come pick them up, we actually pay a pretty penny to have someone come collect the bags each week (yes they must be bagged).

The other version is start by blowing all the leaves off the deck and driveway and into the nearest area of lawn. Use the blower to corral them into large piles, and then do the classic pick them up with a rake and stuff them into the bag technique. Works OK, but but I find that a lot of time is spent trying to compact the leaves in the bags and make it worth while.

anyway, I'll leaf it at that ....

So... How does everyone deal with their leaves in the fall???? tarps? trailers? vacuums? controlled burns?
TBau651 is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 11:30 AM
  #2  
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member
iTrader: (2)
 
ChinkyChoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 214 Times in 171 Posts
usually we rake them into a huge pile then rake them on to a tarp, garbage bags, trash cans whatever we can use throw it all on a trailer then off to the dump.


sometimes we just use the lawn mower and mulch or suck it up then into garbage bags then off to the dump... I feel so grown up typing all this out lol
ChinkyChoy is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 11:39 AM
  #3  
kickintheglass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 840
Thanked 101 Times in 77 Posts
Blow the leaves into a big pile, throw some lighter fluid on said pile, light it up and make smores. Afterwards, use a broom to collect ashes into a single garbage bag.

When life gives you leaves, make smores
kickintheglass is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 12:41 PM
  #4  
steven92
Registered User
 
steven92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 513
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
I usually just blow them onto the neighbors lawn.......


Just kidding. I just take the mower to them
steven92 is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 02:36 PM
  #5  
TBau651
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
TBau651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 203
Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy View Post
usually we rake them into a huge pile then rake them on to a tarp, garbage bags, trash cans whatever we can use throw it all on a trailer then off to the dump.


sometimes we just use the lawn mower and mulch or suck it up then into garbage bags then off to the dump... I feel so grown up typing all this out lol
I wish I wish I had a trailer, something to pull it with, and a place to pull it too.... What do you use to suck leaves up? like the vac part of a leaf blower?

Originally Posted by kickintheglass View Post
Blow the leaves into a big pile, throw some lighter fluid on said pile, light it up and make smores. Afterwards, use a broom to collect ashes into a single garbage bag.

When life gives you leaves, make smores
You forgot to include singing Kumbaya while they burn...
Originally Posted by steven92 View Post
I usually just blow them onto the neighbors lawn.......


Just kidding. I just take the mower to them
Haha - My neighbors end up with plenty of my leaves in there yard without me having to even get off the couch! - act of god, not my problem...
TBau651 is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 02:41 PM
  #6  
micafd3s
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
micafd3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NYC|PA
Posts: 1,203
Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
this section is on finer living...
folks on this section should be hiring someone to do their leaves...
micafd3s is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 03:27 PM
  #7  
Detail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 213
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Large tarp. Backpack Blower. Drag Tarp filled with leaves to nearest nature area and release.
Detail is offline  
Old 10-25-2016, 04:22 PM
  #8  
Jsolo
Insane & Delirious
iTrader: (14)
 
Jsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago, 2012 G37S Sedan 6MT
Posts: 4,976
Thanked 359 Times in 304 Posts
Our village does a weekly or biweekly leaf pickup.

Sounds like you're in a more rural area. I'd just make a big pile then burn them when it's not windy.
Jsolo is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 AM
  #9  
Landshark
Registered User
 
Landshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,359
Thanked 177 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by TBau651 View Post
I wish I wish I had a trailer, something to pull it with, and a place to pull it too.... What do you use to suck leaves up? like the vac part of a leaf blower?
no, this takes forever. its much quicker to just grab handfuls and put in a bag.

i am surrounded by huge trees and get completely dumped on every fall.

my solution?

Monster Leaf Bag $60


eGo 56V cordless blower $199





i looked into those Cyclone Rake things that vacuum up leaves that you pull behind your riding mower, but they cost more than my riding mower! $2000+

Monster Leaf Bag works great - had to empty it 4 times yesterday, and my trees are still FULL of leaves. better than stopping every 20 feet to dump the dual baggers that the mower came with.

cordless blower is awesome - as powerful as gas without all the B.S. associated with a gas engine, charges fully in 45 minutes. i use it a lot, even to dry my car after i wash it.
Landshark is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 08:25 AM
  #10  
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member
iTrader: (2)
 
ChinkyChoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 214 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by TBau651 View Post
I wish I wish I had a trailer, something to pull it with, and a place to pull it too.... What do you use to suck leaves up? like the vac part of a leaf blower?



You forgot to include singing Kumbaya while they burn...

Haha - My neighbors end up with plenty of my leaves in there yard without me having to even get off the couch! - act of god, not my problem...


we have a riding lawn mower so it has the rear attachment to suck up cut grass or in this case leaves after it goes through the blades or without going through the blades, but it fills up super quick and then you have to empty the two containers into trashbags which isn't too bad I guess
ChinkyChoy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ChinkyChoy For This Useful Post:
TBau651 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:06 AM
  #11  
TBau651
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
TBau651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 203
Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
no, this takes forever. its much quicker to just grab handfuls and put in a bag.

i am surrounded by huge trees and get completely dumped on every fall.

my solution?

Monster Leaf Bag $60


eGo 56V cordless blower $199





i looked into those Cyclone Rake things that vacuum up leaves that you pull behind your riding mower, but they cost more than my riding mower! $2000+

Monster Leaf Bag works great - had to empty it 4 times yesterday, and my trees are still FULL of leaves. better than stopping every 20 feet to dump the dual baggers that the mower came with.

cordless blower is awesome - as powerful as gas without all the B.S. associated with a gas engine, charges fully in 45 minutes. i use it a lot, even to dry my car after i wash it.
That monster leaf bag is awesome.

I definitely hear you on the cordless blower. We currently have a plug in one (came with the house) - I hate that thing, cord constantly gets snagged, have to drag an extension cord out every time, no throttle (only a sticky on off switch) and lastly - the thing is freaking heavy and puts a lot of stress on the forearm.

I'm going to tough it out for the rest of the season with the corded one and was planning on picking up a backpack style blower for next year. I'll have to look into these battery powered ones though, looks like the model you noted has some pretty solid reviews.
TBau651 is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 AM
  #12  
deeliciousqueen
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCaL
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When I was a kid back in the Philippines, I would sweep them using broom and dustpan and light them up in the backyard then dump the ashes in a black trash bag for garbage truck to collect.

My reward is 20 pesos so I can play Counterstrike in the near computer shop down the street LOL! So worth it for me back in the days when I was a kid, I have to earn $$ by doing household chores. LOL
deeliciousqueen is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 11:55 AM
  #13  
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member
iTrader: (2)
 
ChinkyChoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 214 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen View Post
When I was a kid back in the Philippines, I would sweep them using broom and dustpan and light them up in the backyard then dump the ashes in a black trash bag for garbage truck to collect.

My reward is 20 pesos so I can play Counterstrike in the near computer shop down the street LOL! So worth it for me back in the days when I was a kid, I have to earn $$ by doing household chores. LOL
lucky I didn't get an allowance for doing chores I didn't have a choice my dad would whoop my *** if I didn't help lol
ChinkyChoy is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 03:13 PM
  #14  
Lego_Maniac
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,564
Thanked 413 Times in 358 Posts
We back up to a heavily wooded common area that's about 80 yards deep. I blow all the leaves back there using a backpack blower.
Lego_Maniac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.