Notices
Finer Living You've got the car-- but do you have the life? Discuss good eats, good drink, good threads. Want the latest toys? Want to live it up? This is your place.

Valet tipping etiquette?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 AM
SaMaster14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam View Post
haha even my dad dint drive it.. apparently the suspension is too stiff for him and its not his kind of car (good for me i guess )
the merc S500 spoiled him!
my dad hates driving my car. He has a mercedes too, the new SL550 roadster.

back on topic: my parents have taught me only to give to valet if there is no other option. Its not the money at all, they just usually steal money and there is a chance that they will damage your car, and you can't do anything about it.
The only time my car has ever been given to valet(i've only had it like 3 months but still), I got the little tray in the center compartment(storage place between the front seats) stolen and it had about $5 of quarters in there.

And if you think that just because u are going somewhere fancy they won't do anything, your wrong... in Maui we went to a very high class restaurant and they completely dented one of the doors of the rental car, and wouldn't take responsibility
Old 08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
Since you have a nice car now, consider skipping valet parking as there us definitely lots of room for problems by letting them handle your car. If you must valet, let them know that your car is special to you. If you frequent a place that you will valet park regularly, tip huge the first time.
I pay valet to NOT park my car wherever they will allow it. I've valeted about 2 or 3 times and tipped them to let me park it myself about 10 times. Every valet has stalled it and then looked dumbfounded as to how to restart it. One came to ask me how to start it so he could bring it around.

I usually tip when I leave. $3 to $10. Always walk around and check for scratches, door dings, and bumper damage front and rear. Check for valuables missing and excessive mileage. Always do this immediately before you leave and raise hell if anything is wrong. Document it with the valet company's management and with the establishment you are patronizing's management.

Skip valet if at all possible.
+1

I have NEVER valeted my G. I typically pay them the valet charge AND tip to be able to double park it in a good spot MYSELF. They are typically cool with it.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
DrJones

I never Valet my G. Never ever. ESPECIALLY AT HOUSTON GALLERIA.... don't do it Houstonians... I've seen what they do!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM
G_rev

I learned my lesson and not to use valet anymore... Last time I got my car back it smelled like burnt clutch and my clutch were slipping. Thing is... I didn't noticed all these after I got off the lot. The manager said it's not their fault since it's off the damn lot!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM
crazjayz

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Personally, I only valet at Las Vegas strip hotels. Those are the only valets that will respect your car.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 PM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol, I can only think of one place in Japan where there is valet. And even that is within one small parking lot.

So I always get confused with valet when I am in Hawaii.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
ucla bruin

^lol @ your screen name.

I don't valet anymore. Just not worth it.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts
UpRev Valet Mode ftw!! haha
Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM
terrycs

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question: If there is a charge to valet park your car, do you guys tip on top of that as well?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs View Post
Question: If there is a charge to valet park your car, do you guys tip on top of that as well?

i used to not tip at all when there was a charge. but i changed protocol.

Now, if it's a place i frequent...ill always leave a tip $2-3...depending.

if i'm never going back or will go back but in months or years..ill tip a buck if i even tip at all...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Fentress24

i valeted my car the other day for the first time at a nice restaurant in VA. A lady comes into the restaurant while we are waiting to be taken to our table and says who drives the white car outside? I responded oh thats mine wondering why she was asking. She was older and hot, I was thinking on the positive side. She then informed me that they have stalled it probably 12 times trying to reverse it into a spot. FML. haha

Ill never valet again. Period
Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,215 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentress24 View Post
i valeted my car the other day for the first time at a nice restaurant in VA. A lady comes into the restaurant while we are waiting to be taken to our table and says who drives the white car outside? I responded oh thats mine wondering why she was asking. She was older and hot, I was thinking on the positive side. She then informed me that they have stalled it probably 12 times trying to reverse it into a spot. FML. haha

Ill never valet again. Period
LOL! So you went from thoughts of tagging some awesome cougar poon to hgaving to park your own car after you'd tipped someone to do it for you. FAIL!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Fentress24

haha yeah sucked. i was there for a work seminar. The 2941 restaruant in Falls Church Valet does not know how to drive a stick for all of you Virginia/DC/MD guys.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Mike

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Valet mode ftw.

capped at 25% throttle and 3000 rpm redline. Also includes a power cut if any gear other than 1st or 2nd is used.

Aftermarket engine management is fun
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 AM
HP_John

Originally Posted by G37Sam View Post
would you lend someone your girl? of course not.. so how on earth can you valet haha
Haha, excellent post!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valet tipping etiquette?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.