MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine/Intake/Exhaust (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-intake-exhaust-364/)
-   -   Injen Cold Air Intake For G37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-intake-exhaust/181682-injen-cold-air-intake-for-g37.html)

shabbo 09-05-2008 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by bboysteele (Post 2412625)
It is a CHOOSE and not the main choose at that. Injen normally sells the silver looking CAI model. They just powercoat/paint the intake to look black if you want it that way.

That's true but the polished Aluminum again is better at preventing heat "convection" if the polished surface was on the inside of the tube.

But the fact that it's still Aluminum, makes it a great material for "conduction" of heat from engine into the inner surface of the entire pipe.

Also because the VQ37 is an Aluminum block, it will be losing heat at a higher rate!

Aluminum is over 5000 times more conductive than PVC or something similar!! Why on earth would someone run TWO aluminum pipes from a 'cold-intake source' along side a furnace of an engine?

I think we need to insulate those pipes with foam?

bboysteele 09-05-2008 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by shabbo (Post 2413978)
That's true but the polished Aluminum again is better at preventing heat "convection" if the polished surface was on the inside of the tube.

But the fact that it's still Aluminum, makes it a great material for "conduction" of heat from engine into the inner surface of the entire pipe.

Also because the VQ37 is an Aluminum block, it will be losing heat at a higher rate!

Aluminum is over 5000 times more conductive than PVC or something similar!! Why on earth would someone run TWO aluminum pipes from a 'cold-intake source' along side a furnace of an engine?

I don't think anyone thinks it is a great idea but it does look good. The JWTs use the stock tubing so the air receives less heat but this also doesn't look great because it is still partially stock. That is a big complaint against the JWTs. Remember that the people buy parts for the look they add to the car over the performance that is added for the most part. For example, the Borla exhaust is shown to have better numbers than any other exhaust on here but people still buy the Tanabe, Greddy, FI, etc. The reason is because of looks and sound. I think the Borla looks like crap personally and would look a lot better if it was a polished look but Borla will not do this so people buy another exhaust that looks 100x better but doesn't perform up to the same numbers as Borla.

This logic goes to the intakes to. The Injen sells because of the look and sound. It doesn't perform up to the JWT standard but it does look better and I hear people like how it sounds over JWT. The JWT sounds great and performs great but the look is not that stunning. Injen could have made the piping out of another material such as PVC but you must think about the big picture. For example, PVC might be better against heat than aluminum but I guarantee you that the sound note given by it and the look would not be that good. Changing the material also changes the sound and the look.

JLai 09-05-2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by shabbo (Post 2413978)

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...hlight=degrees

Points to note:

Stock hosing takes longer to heat up, but once it does, it retains heat. Aluminum cools down faster than stock rubber hose. Done by two different people on computers taking temps. Read through it...its interesting.

Lou@Amplified 09-05-2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by JLai (Post 2414248)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...hlight=degrees

Points to note:

Stock hosing takes longer to heat up, but once it does, it retains heat. Aluminum cools down faster than stock rubber hose. Done by two different people on computers taking temps. Read through it...its interesting.

here was the other post: datalogged via Magden Computer from 2 different g37.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...=183520&page=4

post number 60

shabbo 09-08-2008 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by bboysteele (Post 2414220)
I don't think anyone thinks it is a great idea but it does look good. The JWTs use the stock tubing so the air receives less heat but this also doesn't look great because it is still partially stock. That is a big complaint against the JWTs. Remember that the people buy parts for the look they add to the car over the performance that is added for the most part. For example, the Borla exhaust is shown to have better numbers than any other exhaust on here but people still buy the Tanabe, Greddy, FI, etc. The reason is because of looks and sound. I think the Borla looks like crap personally and would look a lot better if it was a polished look but Borla will not do this so people buy another exhaust that looks 100x better but doesn't perform up to the same numbers as Borla.

This logic goes to the intakes to. The Injen sells because of the look and sound. It doesn't perform up to the JWT standard but it does look better and I hear people like how it sounds over JWT. The JWT sounds great and performs great but the look is not that stunning. Injen could have made the piping out of another material such as PVC but you must think about the big picture. For example, PVC might be better against heat than aluminum but I guarantee you that the sound note given by it and the look would not be that good. Changing the material also changes the sound and the look.

Can't disagree with that !!

Age 04-30-2009 08:21 PM

hey pm price to 19134 black..

thanks, Age

G35s-Dude 07-29-2009 03:23 PM

Don't forget to add me to the list in Post #1, i'll send you pics installed with thermotec intake heat wrap next week, i'm waiting for my B&M transmission oil cooler to arrive, it'll be easier to install both of them together instead of having to the remove the bumper twice.