Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 AM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Installed this today - next oil change will be easy breezy -best 26$ I spent in awhile
Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 AM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
I have been tossing around the idea of getting an oil drain valve. Would this "F103N" work on most G37's (X, sedan, coupe)? I only ask because I see a large assortment of different drain valves on the site listed for G37. I like that the one you have has the longer neck where it drains.

Plus this would mean no more buying crush washers for oil changes right!?!?!?!
The following users liked this post:
Kpmikey808 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 AM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
I have been tossing around the idea of getting an oil drain valve. Would this "F103N" work on most G37's (X, sedan, coupe)? I only ask because I see a large assortment of different drain valves on the site listed for G37. I like that the one you have has the longer neck where it drains.

Plus this would mean no more buying crush washers for oil changes right!?!?!?!
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/

Yes u won’t need crush washers anymore
Old 01-28-2018, 03:28 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Why no pics installed? Why no pics draining. Not really a review dude. Get better...
The following 2 users liked this post by PNW_IPL:
Kpmikey808 (01-29-2018), yashi (12-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2018, 03:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I can see the benefit of this if you drive a lot and do oil changes often. I do an oil change once or twice a year at most. Not a big deal to r&r the drain plug.

What happens if the spring holding the lever fails? Is the effort to rotate the lever slight or significant?

Here's an interesting perspective - Warning -- Oil Drain Valves (EZ-Drain & Fumoto) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

IMO, KISS.
Kpmikey808 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
I have one on my S2K and I change the oil quite frequently in that car. The valve makes the changes so much easier. I am concerned about possibly getting it snagged on something and breaking off, so I keep the original drain plug in the car at all times. With the G37, that should not be as much of an issue. I also used one on my 3G TL.

The other issue mentioned in the link provided by Jsolo above likely does not relate to our cars, as it seems related to a design problem already present in the specific vehicles being discussed on that forum.
Kpmikey808 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:04 AM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Why no pics installed? Why no pics draining. Not really a review dude. Get better...

Sole sasa oi
Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Genhero
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I installed a fumoto drain valve on my lancer a few years back. It hung below the engine crossmember which made it the lowest point to bottom out. After 2 oil changes there was dirt and debris in it and it would not stop a fast drip.

i went back to the regular drain plug. I've never changed the crush washer on it in 5 years, always torque it to spec and has never dripped. I change the crush washer on my BMW 335i everytime but only because it comes with the filter. I wouldn't recommend it but i trust the used washer more than that fumoto valve with the nylon washer that cracked way too easy.

i hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:26 PM
ethan10502
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
If he just installed it, how would you get pics of it draining? And it looks like a quick drain plug on the oil pan, not a big deal. The point is it make draining oil quicker, easier and less messy than removing drain plug. Not reall;y a comment dude. Get better.
Nicho924 (09-18-2019)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:35 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ethan10502
If he just installed it, how would you get pics of it draining? And it looks like a quick drain plug on the oil pan, not a big deal. The point is it make draining oil quicker, easier and less messy than removing drain plug. Not reall;y a comment dude. Get better.
I think the point is - how is this a review? A stock picture, captured from a phone, and a line saying he's installed it. A review that does not make.

Why would you consider installing this? How's the fit and finish? How does it compare to its competitors? Does he address the pros and cons of usage? What are some other options? Can you use it with other parts you've installed?

Yeah, sure. It's a easy access drain plug. Anyone with a brain knows how that works. But the point of a review is to be thorough and to provide those who are looking for one easy access to information that might not be common knowledge. Not a picture and a sentence.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:31 AM
slawek65
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
I think the point is - how is this a review? A stock picture, captured from a phone, and a line saying he's installed it. A review that does not make.

Why would you consider installing this? How's the fit and finish? How does it compare to its competitors? Does he address the pros and cons of usage? What are some other options? Can you use it with other parts you've installed?

Yeah, sure. It's a easy access drain plug. Anyone with a brain knows how that works. But the point of a review is to be thorough and to provide those who are looking for one easy access to information that might not be common knowledge. Not a picture and a sentence.
+1. This is my review. I just installed new tires. I hope this help people looking for new tires.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Enough of this non-sense. Keep it on point, that is, the Fumoto drain valve.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:11 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
I have one. I love it. Changed the oil maybe twice with it. Couldn't be any cleaner or easier.
Only comment I have is the oil drains slower. The lumen is obviously a lot smaller then the threaded drain plug hole. I always drain warm anyway so that helps somewhat. Cold oil would likely suck.
Regarding someone's question about how easy it turns. There is like a spring detent where you push and then twist. A casual bump wouldn't rotate it. You can also get a little plastic c-clip that straddles and locks the lever for additional security. I got one just in case. On our cars it's all covered by the lower shroud anyway so the likelihood of it getting bumped is pretty near impossible.
Sorry, no pics.
I've never changed the crush washer on any car of I've ever owned other than a rebuild of Toyota pickup once. Never had a leak in a conservative estimate of probably 100 oil changes across a dozen cars. Do most people really change it every time?
slartibartfast (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by NW_6MT
Regarding someone's question about how easy it turns. There is like a spring detent where you push and then twist. A casual bump wouldn't rotate it. You can also get a little plastic c-clip that straddles and locks the lever for additional security. I got one just in case. On our cars it's all covered by the lower shroud anyway so the likelihood of it getting bumped is pretty near impossible.
maybe I'm not picturing it right, but it seems like with all this being done ( turning valve, removing clip, having to reinsert clip), its no easier than just undoing the oil drain bolt...I just grab a ratchet and socket and pop off the regular drain bolt in a few seconds....while the oil is draining I change the washer...no extra time really...

also, I change my washer every time, could probably get away without doing it, but i just bought like 20 of them for about 5 bucks or something a long time ago and have them handy in the garage when i change the oil
Old 03-15-2018, 12:47 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't think I explained it very well. You pull off the clip (1 second) and lift and twist the lever 90 degrees (1.5 seconds). No tools, no mess, no oil on your hand as you're making that last few turns to remove the drain plug and trying to dodge the stream of hot oil.
The clip:

How it fits:

Quick Reply: Review Fumoto Oil Drain Valve