REVIEW: Top-Speed Axle-Back Sedan Exhaust - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > Reviews > Engine, Intake and Exhaust
Reload this Page >

REVIEW: Top-Speed Axle-Back Sedan Exhaust

Notices
Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Old 08-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Cicero55

Hi all,

First off, I apologize if this isn't the right spot to post this, however, since this exhaust only pertains to the Sedan, I figured it would fit right in.

I recently purchased the Top-Speed Axle-Back Sedan Exhaust for my 2011 G37x, and installed it last night. I didn't see very many sedan exhaust posts, so I figured that it may help someone if I added this information.

Price: $299 from TopSpeedAuto.com -> Link: https://topspeedauto.com/infiniti-g3...vel-edge-tips/
Install: Difficult for me, because it was the first time I popped my exhaust off, but if you had all of the right tools, it would probably take 45 Mins.
Tools: Channel Lock Pliers, Tail-Pipe Extender, WD-40 or PB Blaster, Socket set.
Sound: Idle and Start-Up are actually pretty loud, which, is to be expected from a muffler-delete kit. I haven't decided if I will keep it yet, but for now, it is bringing out the inner child for me. During a regular drive with light throttle, there is surprisingly no drone. Once you get under load(2,400-3,000rpm), that is when the sound starts to pipe up. I would add a clip, but the sound is so deep that the iPhone can't catch it well, and the iPhone speakers won't play the sound at all.

Tips for Install: When removing your original exhaust, pop off the clamps connecting the rear portion of the exhaust to the center. Should be a foot or so past the rear tire toward the front of the vehicle. Then, pop off the exhaust hanger closest to your rear doors. Use lube spray (WD-40 or PB Blaster) and a channel lock pliers. Once you do this, disconnect the rear portion of the exhaust from the front half (where the clamp was). After that, the rear hanger will EASILY pop off with some lube. It's insane how much easier this method is. Took me an hour on one side to figure it out, then 5 minutes on the other side.
You will need a Tail-Pipe Expander. You will actually need to expand the exhaust quite a bit. Stick the expander in until the bottom rubber ring is just at the tip. This will give you enough room to slide it on.

Final Thoughts: I like it so far. I will give it some time to see what happens with the exhaust (and if my neighbors complain). For the price, and if you're looking for something a little louder, you honestly can't go wrong. The signature VQ sound comes through really well. Oh, and the exhaust sticks out about 1-1 1/2 inches from the rear bumper..

Picture of it on the car -> https://imgur.com/a/BDmhRsq

Last edited by Cicero55; 09-12-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:29 PM
RMB5190

Nice write-up.

I have the Y-Back from TS and I'd recommend that you pick up some Mother's Mag/chrome polish. Surface rust accumulates on the tips pretty quickly for some reason.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM
youdunseeme

I have the one with the small muffler on my coupe. The sound is completely amazing! For around 300 bucks, I would definitely say it's the bang for the buck. My car triggers alarm in the parking lot quite often (not my intention at all!!). I bet your G would be the same
Old 08-22-2018, 03:23 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I would recommend liquid dish soap as a lubricant rather than WD40 as that might attack the rubber hangers. Otherwise, nice write-up. Your description of the sound seem quite similar to my ARK Grip.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Carboy37

Do find that it drones and shakes the car a lot at 1000 and 3000RPM? I expected a little, but not to the degree of rattling my whole car at 3k RPM (maybe exaggerated) - I returned it back to stock form immediately after one day of highway driving.

Maybe Tanabes are the way to go for axle backs...

Last edited by Carboy37; 09-13-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Cicero55

During idle, it's a very loud idle. Almost muscle-car sounding. I found that from 2,300RPM to 3,000RPM it was ridiculously loud in my cabin. It was ok for about a week, but once I was hungover and driving, I absolutely hated it. I switched it back to stock so quick.

It definitely vibrates the entire car. Once I put the stock exhaust on, I fell back in-love with my car all over again.

I think the Tanabe's are the way to go too, which is why I sold my Top-Speed. I love the idea of the Top-Speed, but there isn't anything to stop the sound. It's effectively a muffler delete kit with straight-pipes. I think the Tanabe has cans towards the end that help simmer the noise down a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cicero55 For This Useful Post:
Carboy37 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Carboy37

Thanks for that - glad I wasn't crazy.

I love that they are reversible and for those who want something more obnoxious, it's great. However, when your cruising RPM shakes your entire car for 60 miles a day, it's unbearable.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:16 AM
RMB5190

Tanabes + custom 2.25-2.5'' pipe with a resonated X pipe sounds awesome.

I figured the muffler delete would get too boomy....The TS Y-back has mufflers and resonators while using the stock OEM Y. It's quiet in the cabin until you desire it not to be and retains the growl on the outside of the car.