MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Intake and Exhaust (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-intake-and-exhaust-401/)
-   -   Review CPT Cold Air Intake (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-intake-and-exhaust/281542-review-cpt-cold-air-intake.html)

jayp81 03-11-2017 05:47 PM

Review CPT Cold Air Intake

Haven't seen a review on these yet, I'm guessing because they haven't been out long. I had a SRI before these, and was disappointed in the performance of the the custom built SRI due mainy to the hot air. I was getting ready to buy a used Stillen CAI, but then decided to give ebay one last try for a deal on a CAI, and stumbled upon these. They're the CPT (check point tunning) cold air long tubes, which have a design very similar to another brand out there which I wont mention.This was actually the type of CAI I had been wanting due to various reviews I had read on having the air filters located by lower air dams. I paid $200 shipped for them, and did not opt for the K&N filter which was an option from the seller for an additional $80. The filters I got with these are a fine wire mesh, no cotton on them at all. I have in mind a different kind of cotton air filter later on, but KnN isn't what I have in mind. Anyways to the review.
Install was took me and a buddy about 3hrs to complete. Instructions provided weren't very detailed as they lacked any useful pictures. Luckily it wasn't anything too complicated and we were able to figure it out. Fitment isnt at 100% perfect, but real close. I say this because the driver side filter is rubbing up a little against a plastic that I assume is maybe a support for the side of the radiator or something like that. Passenger side, I have the inner fender liner popped out a bit where the filter is, luckily the tire doesnt ever rub on that area.
Performance of this kit was nice, and definitely an improvement over the SRI. Some people might think that oh since its making more noise its going faster, but aside from the louder engine under full throttle, there is an improvement i can tell you for sure because now the tires have no challenge in loosing grip on second gear. Before this CAI I had lost power with the SRI because I could not loose grip in second gear, and with the stock boxes I could. Now its back to doing second gear peelouts, and with less effort that the stockboxes required. Not to say that this mod added crazy power, but it's something for sure, and eventually you add the little power of many mods and get a significant result. My buttdyno would rate this increase to maybe 10hp. I feel the response is much quicker, no low end lose, to the contrary, low end is now too sensitive that its hard to take off in first gear without it seeming like i'm racing someone. Midrange is where I feel the most improvement overall, and high end I felt the least. Unfortunately the high end is where I want the most gain, not the low end. This car has plenty of low end as is, and when I get into 6K plus Rpms it feels like it flat lines and drops compared to before that point. Overall I am pleased with the results and I feel confident after some more mods and a tune I will be very satisfied.
I later went ahead and bought some wrap to reflect heat from these pipes since I noticed after a drive they would get crazy hot. Seems like it slightly helped, but not enough. Might need to wrap them all the way down, and maybe even double wrap em.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...abc0c802d6.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...374bbc820d.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...bdad012a8a.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...ed01c1d1e6.jpg

PNW_IPL 03-11-2017 06:24 PM

Nice review!

Lucasmdemele 03-11-2017 08:17 PM

I think

you sold me on these I have k&n hot air intakes on my car now and think these would be a cost effective replacement after spending almost 400 on k&n hot air I think these will be better bang for my buck looks almost like injen?...

jayp81 03-12-2017 12:47 AM

Yup. I did not want to mention the brand but yeah, basically same thing as Injen. Fitment like I mentioned is not flawless like I imagine that Ingen probably is, but its close enough. Did not have to cut up anything to make it work.

4doorfury 03-12-2017 04:58 PM

Great find. Please detail your engine bay! :)

jayp81 03-12-2017 11:58 PM

For sure detailing the engine will be one of my next project. I think its a great deal on an intake, especially when comparing the options available and the prices. Things they cut corners on with this kit are the clamps, paint finish, and rubber couplings when compared to a better brand name, but those parts can be upgraded later on and still save money compared to buying the "brand name" intake.

Superman_G37S 03-15-2017 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jayp81 (Post 4116591)
For sure detailing the engine will be one of my next project. I think its a great deal on an intake, especially when comparing the options available and the prices. Things they cut corners on with this kit are the clamps, paint finish, and rubber couplings when compared to a better brand name, but those parts can be upgraded later on and still save money compared to buying the "brand name" intake.

Glad to see people catching on..I bit the bullet and brought these 2 years ago, before they stepped down the pipe at the MAF sensors. Needless to say it didn't work, car stalled on Uprev tune and stock map. I emailed the owner/company sent it back and got a refund...AND gave them feedback on how to design the pipe to mimic Injen(or any other expensive name-brand intake(you gotta lower the intake velocity/flow at MAF sensors). So, they redesigned, resold it with updated design, I brought and tested it. On this intake (with HFC, Uprev tune, full exhaust) I made 335hp to the wheels. Name brand my ***, not that you should not buy name-brand...but you can get the same results in performance. To each his own, but I care about power and cost effective reliability, not whats stamped on a part.

It's a great buy, my advice though would be to get better filters (K&N or similar) as soon as possible. The media element on the filters they come with are very thin and would allow too much moisture and debris to bypass the filter.

And before anyone complains about water...just don't drive thru a deep puddle(common sense even without intakes)....or lake...lol Had this on for over a year in hard rain, snow, carwash, etc. No water in intakes, besides...bumper and splash shield protect it anyway. Just be smart.

Superman_G37S 03-15-2017 11:44 AM

Also

Driver side, you can maneuver the piping to fit flawlessly, if one of the horns are in the way(mine was) bend the bracket away from the intake

Passenger side, just play with the washer fluid reservoir brackets to get a better fitment. You can even go to home depot and get a different bracket altogether or drill out a better custom bracket. I made it fit just right with what they provided. Even drilled a hole for washer reservoir sensor

jayp81 03-15-2017 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Superman_G37S (Post 4117213)
Also

Driver side, you can maneuver the piping to fit flawlessly, if one of the horns are in the way(mine was) bend the bracket away from the intake

Passenger side, just play with the washer fluid reservoir brackets to get a better fitment. You can even go to home depot and get a different bracket altogether or drill out a better custom bracket. I made it fit just right with what they provided. Even drilled a hole for washer reservoir sensor

Yeah, the horn on the driver side was a bit in the way, and just bent it a little. The thing that was more of an issue is a wall that goes up and down parallel to the radiator. The wider part of the air filter was rubbing against that. What i noticed is if you push the air filter high up enough on the intake pipe it wont rub anymore. Just had to do some maneuvering to get it at a decent fit. Maybe if I had done more adjustment on the throttle body side it would have adjusted for a perfect fit, or another option is slicing off an inch or 2 off the intake tube where the cone slides on, that would put it in a better place, but I didnt mess with that since I was able to get it on there how it was, and I was in a hurry. The wide part of the filter is a little pressed up on that plastic wall I mentioned, but nothing I see as an issue.
Washer fluid reservoir fit perfect with provided brackets, just figuring out which goes where and facing which direction took a bit of thinking :icon17:

Jcas531 08-03-2017 09:07 PM

I'm a little late to the party but this looks like the exact same kit as the K&N + Spyder kit available from Tuners Depot. Price is the same. The installation manual for that other well known brand would be the identical process and easily found on the internet. It addresses some of the minor mods like the horn repositioning. Thanks for the review, you pushed me over the top on my decision!

ixnayspyder 11-08-2017 04:43 PM

Hey sorry to resurrect an older post. I was looking for the CPT intake and can't seem to find them any longer. Are they still available somewhere else? I did look for the K&N + Spyder kit and see that is still around but I can't find any worthwhile reviews for it, or a good comparison of details. Anybody have any helpful information by chance?

jayp81 11-08-2017 09:54 PM

I got the CPT from Ebay, I tried checking right now and your right, its nowhere to be found. About a month ago I think I saw the exact same design intake with a different unheard brand name. Right now nothing is showing up, the best deal so far I found was this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Injen-SP-Co...5Z2mt1&vxp=mtr

PS. I would definitely say HELL NO to a hot air intake/short intake. Either go with a cold air or just do K&N drop in box filters because our engine bays get crazy hot, and my experience with a hot air intake on these cars sucked. It was a waste of my money and time.

ixnayspyder 11-08-2017 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jayp81 (Post 4167457)
I got the CPT from Ebay, I tried checking right now and your right, its nowhere to be found. About a month ago I think I saw the exact same design intake with a different unheard brand name. Right now nothing is showing up, the best deal so far I found was this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Injen-SP-Co...5Z2mt1&vxp=mtr

PS. I would definitely say HELL NO to a hot air intake/short intake. Either go with a cold air or just do K&N drop in box filters because our engine bays get crazy hot, and my experience with a hot air intake on these cars sucked. It was a waste of my money and time.

Thanks for the update, I figured I wasn't a noob at searching but you never know lol. I don't plan to go short ram air at all. I briefly considered it but it's not worth it. With the review here I was pretty sold. The spyder intake mentioned seems like it may be alright too if the designs are really that much alike but this thread is the only one that comes up when searching these forums.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it.

Superman_G37S 11-23-2017 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ixnayspyder (Post 4167460)
Thanks for the update, I figured I wasn't a noob at searching but you never know lol. I don't plan to go short ram air at all. I briefly considered it but it's not worth it. With the review here I was pretty sold. The spyder intake mentioned seems like it may be alright too if the designs are really that much alike but this thread is the only one that comes up when searching these forums.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it.

Yea guys it seems to depend on their supply, the owner does a production run until they all sell. They will be back up soon, because the supply isn't super high he's in no rush to produce. I tried to cut a deal with him previously not only to market it here(with admin permission) but also getting exposure to up his business. For the price and a few minor tweaks Check Point Tuning would compete with the best. I'd compare it's performance to Z1, takeda and Injen intakes, just short 3" intakes powerwise. I run a Z1 oil cooler as well and still sits nicely based off their recommended oil lines route. Now that the weather is cold and denser man does the car pull :JAMIN:

jayp81 03-08-2018 01:16 AM

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for an intake. I found a site selling the spyder kit for $199
https://www.tunersdepot.com/2008-inf...v6-125672.html