Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Cheap J2 True Dual Cat Back Exhuast for a Sedan..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:06 PM
nick_oh_lie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheap J2 True Dual Cat Back Exhuast for a Sedan..

First review, so ya'll better help me and point mistakes if I make any ( and I promise you I will lol) !

Anyways I got my q40 (g37sedan) about 6 months ago . I did absolutely nothing, but researches on this and other forums to turn this car into something you can enjoy driving. Lets admit, this car out of the box, is very very far from good handling sport sedan. Many of you will say you should have got the sport model to have better handling which I can agree with you buttttt disagree at the same time. The sport model usually comes fully equipped, which only makes it heavier. I got my car base, no sunroof, no premium sound, because I wanted the lightest g37 as a starting point.
After owning the car for a month a narrowed down what I hated about it which was how the car handled, center of gravity was too high with stock suspension and made the aggressive drive very dangerous cause the car bounced around a LOT and made it unpredictable and the open diff. I went for 18x9.5 all around with 255 rubber square setup and dropped it on Eibach springs which helped a lot, yet it showed how terrible the oped diff is, so I ran to a nearby junk yard and picked up a VLSD diff and swapped it with my open diff. Day and night difference!
I guess I drifted from the topic but i thought I ll give a little intro about my build.

Until a month ago she was a virgin besides the diff and the rubber. I finally got my hands on a CBE and Test pipes. I did a lot of research and a lot off ppl were strongly suggesting to go with named brand product for both, test pipes and the exhaust. After more research on the design of each exhaust for the sedan I figured the true dual setup seemed to be making the most sense for power output. Found a dealer near by who had J2 full CBE for my sedan for $550.00. That is very cheap obviously, so i was veryyyyyyyyy skeptical specially since there were absolutely no reviews on that exhaust for our cars, yet i found some on other cars and people seemed to like their product. I took the risk and bought it. As for test pipes same thing, i got manzo test pipes used and honestly besides the rasp that is common with most of test pipes they work just fine.

Everything bolted on great even tho taking of stock cats are a pain in the asssssssss. Quality of J2 exhaust was great too, specially for the cost, the finish was great and fitment as well.

After the install we started the car anddddddddddddddddddddd... Sounded pretty bad. Like a civic to be exact
Now everyone and their momma will be saying you get what you pay for which is true, cant argue. But now that I drove the vehicle for about a 1000 miles ever since the install and the exhaust "broke in" I love the exhaust note. It sound mean, I guess I wish it was a little deeper, which I think I can achieve by getting wider exhaust tips (original J2 tips are about 2.5", when most exhausts for our car are at least 3.5", that's the only difference i could have found) I guess main reason I like it is because it doesn't sound like every other g37, not saying our cars don't sound good, i like the way they sound, but I was looking for a little different sounding g37, did not want to be just another loud g37, I wanted it mean but didn't want it to be an obvious VQ sounds ( i don't know if that makes sense lol)

Another important factor is that I don't have cats, the flow is a lot stronger and makes the notes different, that at least what 3 muffler shops thought and guys who sold me the exhaust. I was very close top utting my cats back on the first week, but really wanted to keep them to squeeze the most hp out of it.
Been dying to dyno the car but figured I ll do it all in once, meaning ill get a dyno done when I get an intake and a tune, a before and after.

As for the product, definitely am happy with it. Can not beat that, true dual ss cbe for $550 is a steal. If you are looking to make it sound different from other modded G's this is definitely worth a buy.

Hopefully this was useful to someone lol. If I missed something please point it out, so in future I can write reviews like a proooo haha
Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 AM
nick_oh_lie

Here are my numbers from first dyno day with just TP's, J2 CBE and Takeda CAI

It was performed on dyno jet in 4th gear
Old 04-20-2015, 04:05 PM
HBNick
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How were you planning on passing smog? I need a dirty smog guy for my xterra...
Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 PM
bigmike35nj

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm interested into what the difference the vlsd did for the car vs the open diff?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 PM
nick_oh_lie

Originally Posted by HBNick
How were you planning on passing smog? I need a dirty smog guy for my xterra...
not worried about it yet since the car is brand new I wont need it for another 3 years if im not mistaking.

Originally Posted by bigmike35nj
I'm interested into what the difference the vlsd did for the car vs the open diff?
Difference was day and night. Stock VLSD is not perfect but still is definitely better than open diff.
Example: When I would drive in canyons with open diff, I simply could not accelerate out of the corners (with stock tires 225's all around or even with summer tires 255's all around)
After I installed the vlsd canyon driving was improved A LOT, i finally gripped out the corners.
Straight line acceleration has improved as well, but most difference for me was putting power down out the corners.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow good write up. I too am not too good to buy ebay brands. I have bought a lot of car parts for various vehicles and do know that name brand stuff is generally better quality but to me an exhaust is just an exhaust. I've played around with some ebay resonated test pipes. The quality was decent and they worked fine but I got sick of the smell and slight rasp. Sold them awhile ago. I can't imagine test pipes with a CBE. That must be loud.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 AM
sukh79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have a 6mt or a 7at ???
vlsd swap possible with an x
Old 01-23-2016, 01:37 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Do you have any sound clips?
Old 12-13-2019, 02:15 PM
Willibu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey I like your build, is that Dyno chart with a tune or without a tune? And if so what tune did you have?
Originally Posted by nick_oh_lie
Here are my numbers from first dyno day with just TP's, J2 CBE and Takeda CAI

It was performed on dyno jet in 4th gear