Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Z1 400HP Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ca7bkg801
Regardless of what you bought, the mafs are going crazy from the added air flow. Your problem is lack of tune even though you spent money on an e tune from z1. I would never run that on my car. Not safe long term. I permanently fixed my problem by taking it in for an ecutek dyno tune and get rid of that uprev garbage z1 uses. Ecutek can also modify throttle body response to get rid of the laggy pedal input most g owners experience. It comes from the factory as a tiny little cheat to up gas mileage. Another great thing with ecutek is you can tune transmission line pressure for better shifting and lower risk of slip from the added power. I was going into limp mode almost everday before tune. After ecutek, my car literally came to life with 329 whp and 290 wtq. ZERO check engine lights since dyno tune. Find a ecutek tuner, tell them all your mods and what you are experiencing problem wise... best $700 i ever spent. Plus getting to watch your car dyno for the first time is ****ing awesome!
Where did you get your ecutek done?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 PM
ca7bkg801
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in los angeles. I went to specialty z in chatsworth, CA. Sebastian did my dyno tune. He is super friendly, knowledgeable, and is great with emails! I emailed him leading up to my appointment and he responded at 11pm! I couldn't give this guy more praise if i tried!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
The z1 400 power pack is comprised of upper intake manifold, headers, hfc's. What the heck did z1 sell you?
The Z1 400hp kit also requires their intakes, their tune, and a high flow exhaust like I mentioned- it is listed in their description. Their tune specific to these components on this car should work. I should not have to spend another $700 to make this work. Z1 should man up or they are selling garbage.

Russ at Z1 swears it is not the tune, but I am really starting to doubt that.

How do I locate an Ecutek tuner in WI if it comes to that?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 PM
ca7bkg801
Premier Member

Z1 must have changed their practices. I purchased the ported upper, headers, and hfcs. I already stillen gen cai. I added eps big bore tbs and a ported lower intake manifold (i totally recommend it btw). Go online to ecutek. They have an option to help find you a tuner. Try to find a master tuner if possible. I checked on their site around WI, i guess you could take a day trip because the nearest tuner is chicago or minneapolis minnesota. Ams performance in chicago. Call them and tell them your problem, if they say they can tune it and get rid of the problem, go for it. That limp mode **** is beyond annoying. Email is jake@amsperformance.com
Old 10-11-2017, 11:18 PM
ca7bkg801
Premier Member

In regards, to you going into limp mode, i can only guess your a/f ratio is wrong and you are running lean. It goes into limp mode to keep you from nuking your engine.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for your help. I am familiar with AMS. I got my Cobb Accessport from them for my Evo X and it worked great.

I don't see anything on their website for Infiniti or Ecutek, so hopefully they can help if it comes to that. I will give them a call tomorrow.

I really hope Z1 will make this right, but so far I have just gotten excuses. Very frustrating when you spend a lot of money with a company and their parts constantly put your car into limp mode. Even more frustrating when they don't put any effort into fixing the problem.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

In regards, to you going into limp mode, i can only guess your a/f ratio is wrong and you are running lean. It goes into limp mode to keep you from nuking your engine.
Do you know what the A/F ratio should be? I think my Torque ap can monitor that.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 PM
ca7bkg801
Premier Member

I found ams by going on ecuteks website. They have a, "search tuner" tab.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I called AMS this morning and they do not have the ability to tune my car. Ironically, they suggested another tuner in Georgia (Z1 is also in Georgia).

After being put on hold twice by Jon at Z1 (their tuner) I finally got an honest answer as to why he was not sending a cable to me for the last few months- no one has returned any of them. So I got him to agree to sell me one and just take it back after we get the tune sorted.

Lots of mixed info. from Jon at Z1. First he told me that none of these cars have ever thrown a MAF sensor code. After putting me on hold the 2nd time he told me that '13 and newer cars sometimes do so he has to shut that feature off. He told me he did not do that to my car as it usually is not an issue with N/A cars. What?!? Hopefully, it is as simple as shutting off that code.

For months the guys at Z1 have told me a cable will be sent, put on hold only to have someone else pick up and have no idea what is going on, or blame something else on my car that was working fine before I got these parts. It was everything I could do not to laugh every time I was put on hold and listen to the recorded message talk about how "customer service is #1!" But as soon as you offer to buy something they help you out immediately. I really hope Jon can help fix this tune and it is simple. I am so sick of going into limp mode below 2k rpm or above 5k rpm.

ca7bkg801- Do you know what the A/F ratio should be? I think I can monitor that.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:30 AM
ca7bkg801
Premier Member

Minnesota has 2 ecutek dyno tuners. DB performance is one and from the website, they tune mitsubishi and nissan/infiniti. Email shane@bbptuning.com
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
ca7bkg801- Do you know what the A/F ratio should be? I think I can monitor that.
A/F ratio: about 14.7:1

I can "track" mine using and app on my phone called Torque, and a Bluetooth OBDC dongle. As you accelerate and whatnot this ratio will shift, but should average to the number given above, unless you are running lean or rich.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:51 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I called AMS this morning and they do not have the ability to tune my car. Ironically, they suggested another tuner in Georgia (Z1 is also in Georgia).
If I may ask, who did they suggest? TopSpeedMotorsports?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Minnesota has 2 ecutek dyno tuners. DB performance is one and from the website, they tune mitsubishi and nissan/infiniti. Email shane@bbptuning.com
Thanks for the help man! I hope I am able to solve this issue with Jon at Z1 with the cable I had to buy. Fingers crossed. But if not, I will hit up Shane.

Originally Posted by Mr_Mer
A/F ratio: about 14.7:1

I can "track" mine using and app on my phone called Torque, and a Bluetooth OBDC dongle. As you accelerate and whatnot this ratio will shift, but should average to the number given above, unless you are running lean or rich.
I use the Torque ap too. So what type of ratio would you consider "too lean?" Also, since I got my Samsung Galaxy S8 I have been trouble reading CE codes. I can still clear them, but it does not show what they are. It worked fine on my old Galaxy S4. Am I just missing some stupid step?

Originally Posted by zer099
If I may ask, who did they suggest? TopSpeedMotorsports?
Forged Performance
Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM
ca7bkg801
Premier Member

Bro, don't waste your money. I'm telling you to go get a proper hands on dyno tune with ecutek software. If it makes you feel better, just search on here for uprev vs ecutek. Everyone will say to use ecutek.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That's the thing- I'm not wasting any money if Z1 can fix the tune for free that I already bought and I expect them to do that.