Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Z1 400HP Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:08 AM
ca7bkg801
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, fair enough. I'm saying that if you want to get the absolute most out of your car; go with the ecutek down the road. Read the reviews. I'm not the only one who is saying this.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I use the Torque ap too. So what type of ratio would you consider "too lean?" Also, since I got my Samsung Galaxy S8 I have been trouble reading CE codes. I can still clear them, but it does not show what they are. It worked fine on my old Galaxy S4. Am I just missing some stupid step?
My S8+ reads and stores them way to efficiently (Got 2 intermittent codes, showing up at random times and worse of all, it is my inspection month). Make sure you have the Nissan/Infiniti plug in for the extra sensors. That is the only thing I can think of.

Not sure what state you are in, but if you get smog tested, you want to keep it as close to 14.7 : 1 as humanly possible.

As for what is "too lean"... 15:1 is quite lean at full load, but you exhaust gasses may be too hot, therefore failing smog tests. And it gives you knock. Plus it screws up the environment and such. On an N/A engine, I rather have my A/F set between 12:1 to 13:1. Also, if you are running lean, you use more gas, as lean means there is not enough gas for the combustion, so more needs to be injected.

Did I mention knock?

Last edited by Mr_Mer; 10-13-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
What about this place? It’s in Wisconsin. Their Facebook page shows that they tune Infiniti as well as others with some examples and vids. The only personal reference I can give is a guy I used to roll with had his motor built and tuned there. His car is an STI but man what a beast. He had nothing but good to say. Best of luck with your probs and please keep us updated as we need more feedback on the local tuners for Nissan up here. http://quantum-performance.com/
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 04:19 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Fwiw i have a 13 IPL and have gotten maf codes with stillen gen 3 and aam competition S-Line cold air intakes but never with the takeda cold air. Each time I reset and would randomly occur throwing me into limp mode. Super random doubt it helps but I've definitely been in limp mode because of the intakes.
No tune here.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
You originally posted this review in February.....have you been having issues that long??

I'd be furious at this point. Have you contacted anyone in management yet?

I'm also going to agree with others, while my G isn't tuned, I've used canned, mail order/etunes and dyno tuning, and with your mod list, I wouldn't trust a standard tune without at least providing some logs to the tuner
Old 10-14-2017, 04:37 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Air/fuel ratio should be 14.7:1 to 14.9:1 at light throttle. Full load should drop to 12.5:1 to 13:1. These are not Vq-specific, rather a general guide.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I was on vacation so it looks like I missed a bit. Let me see if I can get caught up. Thanks for all the help guys!

Originally Posted by ca7bkg801
Ok, fair enough. I'm saying that if you want to get the absolute most out of your car; go with the ecutek down the road. Read the reviews. I'm not the only one who is saying this.
I don't doubt that at all. What I was trying to say is that I think Z1 should assume responsibility for the tune and fix it before I have to resort for paying for another tune.

Originally Posted by Mr_Mer
My S8+ reads and stores them way to efficiently (Got 2 intermittent codes, showing up at random times and worse of all, it is my inspection month). Make sure you have the Nissan/Infiniti plug in for the extra sensors. That is the only thing I can think of.

Not sure what state you are in, but if you get smog tested, you want to keep it as close to 14.7 : 1 as humanly possible.

As for what is "too lean"... 15:1 is quite lean at full load, but you exhaust gasses may be too hot, therefore failing smog tests. And it gives you knock. Plus it screws up the environment and such. On an N/A engine, I rather have my A/F set between 12:1 to 13:1. Also, if you are running lean, you use more gas, as lean means there is not enough gas for the combustion, so more needs to be injected.

Did I mention knock?
I do have the Infiniti plug in. The Torque ap was working just fine on my old phone. I can clear CE codes on the new phone, but it does not show what they are. Weird. I don't get smog tested here so no worries. Just wondering the ratios I should look for if I can monitor them.

Originally Posted by Invaderzim
What about this place? It’s in Wisconsin. Their Facebook page shows that they tune Infiniti as well as others with some examples and vids. The only personal reference I can give is a guy I used to roll with had his motor built and tuned there. His car is an STI but man what a beast. He had nothing but good to say. Best of luck with your probs and please keep us updated as we need more feedback on the local tuners for Nissan up here. Quantum Performance
Thanks for the info. They are only about a 1.5 hour drive from me (much better than Chicago). It looks like they specialize in Subaru and I have raced 3 of those so I am sure we would have lots to talk about if I go that route.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You originally posted this review in February.....have you been having issues that long??

I'd be furious at this point. Have you contacted anyone in management yet?

I'm also going to agree with others, while my G isn't tuned, I've used canned, mail order/etunes and dyno tuning, and with your mod list, I wouldn't trust a standard tune without at least providing some logs to the tuner
Furious is an understatement! It is like trying to deal with United airlines customer service. I just keep getting tons of delays and excuses with how busy they are all the time, waiting for a cable to come back, big event coming up, not enough people answering phones, blah blah blah. But if you want to order something, they take your call right away.

Really annoying and I cannot in good faith recommend Z1 anymore. It is a shame as I think they have good parts in general and some of the guys that work there are very sharp. I am actually still considering their subframe bushing inserts. But stay the hell away from their mail-in tunes! I really still hope it is just a matter of turning off these codes for MAF sensors, but if it is really that simple, why in the hell has it taken so long?!?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Invaderzim
What about this place? It’s in Wisconsin. Their Facebook page shows that they tune Infiniti as well as others with some examples and vids. The only personal reference I can give is a guy I used to roll with had his motor built and tuned there. His car is an STI but man what a beast. He had nothing but good to say. Best of luck with your probs and please keep us updated as we need more feedback on the local tuners for Nissan up here. Quantum Performance
They only do Uprev tunes, but seem to know what they are talking about. It sounds like they specialize in Subaru, but their tuner was a master certified Nissan tech before so that is a bonus!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, Jon from Z1 sent me a few different tunes for my car last week, but really only because I hound him about it. I can e-mail him a data log, but he will not get back to me unless I leave multiple messages for him and then wait on hold to talk to him. It is frustrating because he did adjust and send me one tune while I was on the phone with him and it did not even take 3 minutes.

I am glad that we are at least making some progress and the car seems to be driving well, but I wish Jon would at least return a message or offer to do something extra for all the hassle. I understand if you are busy, but at least show a little effort or have someone else from Z1 reach out to me.

So lesson learned the hard way- if any of you get the Z1 400hp package- DO NOT get their mail-in tune. Get it tuned locally on a dyno.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
completely changed

Last edited by Mattlorentzoe; 08-08-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

On the 5th tune in 2 weeks now. Jon says we are getting close...
Old 12-15-2017, 09:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

This post is a rant about Z1 and their terrible service (mainly Jon who has yet to return a single call or e-mail in 2 months) and why you should never do their ECU mail-in tunes.

So it has been about 2 months now and I am on tune 13.

Not only does Jon never respond, he is also nearly impossible to get ahold of every time you call. I had to call Z1 7 times today just to talk to Jon once. He told me that I should not have to do any more data logging and the tune I have should be good. I thought, "Thank God I am finally done!"

Then he sent me a new tune!?! WTF!! So I had to spent most of my afternoon calling Z1 trying to get through to Jon only to be told that he did in fact change something in the tune so I would have to waste more time in the snow trying to data log.

Jon also never gives me any detail about what he changes with the tunes.

So tonight after work I downloaded his new tune, flashed it into my car, drove around for a long time trying to find an on ramp without snow on it to do a data log and finally got one good pull.

Now I will spend all day tomorrow trying to call Jon again just to get him to read his e-mail or else I will never hear from him again.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
completely changed

Last edited by Mattlorentzoe; 08-08-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Have you asked for a refund yet? The OP was dated Feb-17, have you really been messing around with the "400 HP" kit for that long?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
completely changed
It is definitely frustrating. The only thing keeping me with Z1 is that I do not need to pay anything to have them fix the tune. Now that I know for sure that Jon will never call or e-mail me back I just need to keep calling and calling until I get him on the line so it should go relatively quicker. It sounds like we are close with the tune... fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Have you asked for a refund yet? The OP was dated Feb-17, have you really been messing around with the "400 HP" kit for that long?
Yeah they kept skirting the issue of a refund because they argued that they already tuned the ECU and made it sound like it was easy to fix. I think that it could be easy to fix as it literally takes Jon 1-2 minutes to adjust the tune. However, what they did not tell me was that it would be impossible to get in touch with Jon- (every time I call) and that he would never return a call or e-mail.

The tuning issue has taken 2 months since I got the cable because Jon is so tough to get in touch with. The rest of the year was spent waiting for Jon to get a loaner cable back (never happened) or everyone else at Z1 speculating all sorts of other possible issues that I did not think were the issue and were not.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 08-08-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Deleted Lorentzoe45 quoted text per his request.