Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Tanabe Medalion with Vibrant Resonators *quick*

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:39 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Tanabe Medalion with Vibrant Resonators *quick*

Hello everyone!

First off, I have to give a thanks to guy from norcal for responding to my messages and helping me get the correct parts. So here's the deal, I have a 2008 G35 with the vq35hr motor and a Tanabe Medalion. When I bought the Tanabe I expected it to be quiet... but it was absolutely too quiet so I almost immediately started looking for a fix. The exhaust itself was very well built, had a bit of an alignment issue but that was fixed almost immediately, the welds were pristine and it was just overall well built. I looked at the Tanabe mid pipe for about $500 but I just didn't have the money for that. I made a thread with a quick review on the exhaust itself and someone pointed out that I should look into resonators... so I did.

I ordered the Vibrant 12 inch resonators from Summit Racing, paid about $98 for the pair and had them the very next day! Didn't even pay for expedited shipping. Since I can't weld I dropped my car off and paid 80 bucks to have them installed.

The resonators themselves were very well built, solid construction and the welds were clean as well.

Since there really isn't much to review on something I didn't install myself, or that won't really give you any performance gain.. sound is really the only category that mattered!

Tanabe:5/10
Tanabe w/ resonators: 8/10

I have not experienced any rasp whatsoever and I have not experienced any drone either.

Every Tanabe owner should honestly have this modification. It brings the note on the axleback to what it should be. It gives the exhaust a deeper sound while accentuating the VQ note we all know. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here is a video with a few quick clips:

I have kinetix HFCs coming from JM Auto Racing within the next week or so, and once those are installed I will put up more videos and write another review! If there are other video clips you would like to hear put them in the comments and I will do my best to get around to it!
The following 3 users liked this post by jabba_the_slut:
dmallen2010 (03-15-2017), guy from norcal (11-15-2017), the93owner (11-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:06 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds good OP! I am doing the same set up on my 37 in the next week or two!

I opted for 4" tips (which make no difference to sound) instead of the 4.5"s that tanabes come with, those look outrageously HUGE!

all in all I love the sound im sururpised you're adding HFCS! it's gonna get louder and you're creeping up to the catback pricing but thanks for sharing video

Last edited by zonnie; 11-29-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:11 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zonnie

I opted for 4" tips (which make no difference to sound) instead of the 4.5"s that tanabes come with, those look outrageously HUGE!

all in all I love the sound im sururpised your adding HFCS! it's gonna get louder and you're creeping up to the catback pricing but thanks for sharing video
Well so far I have $523 for the Tanabe, $180 for the Resonators and $370 for the HFCs so yeah it is getting up there but it just kind of happened! The decision to put on HFCs even with the shortened resonators was made even before I had the resonators on haha. The tips do look smaller in person, the video and pictures reaaaaallllly do not give them justice, but yes they are big!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

all in all I love the sound im sururpised you're adding HFCS! it's gonna get louder and you're creeping up to the catback pricing but thanks for sharing video
I'm thinking about going this route too. I already swapped the resonators on the stock exhaust but after a few months, I'm wishing it was just a tad louder. How were you able to get the Tanabe w/ 4" tips? I agree that the 4 1/2" are way too big. If you could let me know, that'd be great! Thank you.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:27 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^ Hey Nitro,

I actually lucked out on a set on tanabes! I purchased them with only 3k miles on for $160 on ebay.

The catch is they did not come with tips. That was fine as I ended up buying Vibrant 1207's they are 4" and look perfect. There was also the 3.5" (another code) but imo it was like smaller than stock tips.

here is a link to how they look on another members ride: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ps-are-on.html
Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
^ Hey Nitro,

I actually lucked out on a set on tanabes! I purchased them with only 3k miles on for $160 on ebay.

The catch is they did not come with tips. That was fine as I ended up buying Vibrant 1207's they are 4" and look perfect. There was also the 3.5" (another code) but imo it was like smaller than stock tips.

here is a link to how they look on another members ride: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ps-are-on.html
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying! That setup looks great. I'll keep my eyes open for a used system and hopefully be able to do the same w/ regards to putting a smaller diameter exhaust tip on. I still cant figure out why Tanabe chose to make them so large.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
The tips aren't THAT big....

View this post on Instagram
Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the93owner
The tips aren't THAT big....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG9SW8rR764/
Like I said!! The pictures reeeaallly don't do them justice.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:00 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I love the look of them. Not too big IMO

Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM
LssThanThree
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Just got this done. Thanks jabba for the suggestion! I smiled all the way home. I think this is the perfect sound for me as I wasn't looking for anything too loud like a full cat-back system.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:27 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LssThanThree
Just got this done. Thanks jabba for the suggestion! I smiled all the way home. I think this is the perfect sound for me as I wasn't looking for anything too loud like a full cat-back system.
It's my pleasure, I'm glad I could help! I have kinetix HFCs on now as well and I put up a video so if you're feeling daring there's your next mod!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LssThanThree
Great to hear. So you could definitely tell a difference after adding these? Is it close to the coupe sound?
Old 01-06-2017, 04:36 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Originally Posted by James Harden
Great to hear. So you could definitely tell a difference after adding these? Is it close to the coupe sound?
Yeah it's basically an amplified coupe sound. Just cruising around you'll hear it, but it's not overbearing. When you get on the throttle it really accentuates the VQ note. Haven't had any rasp whatsoever or drone with it and that's after a 750 mile road trip.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:39 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Here is the link to the tanabe + shortened resonators + kinetix HFCs in case anyone was interested.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:11 PM
LssThanThree
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I decided to go with FI RHFCs. Perfect sound. I'm happy. Checkout the sound clip below.
Sorry for the bad lighting.