Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

STILLEN cat back exhaust on 2013 G37S Sedan 6spd.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Thumbs up STILLEN cat back exhaust on 2013 G37S Sedan 6spd.

Just installed the exhaust last night and I am thoroughly impressed! The stock exhaust was so quiet that I felt inclined to stand on the gas just to remind me that I had an engine attached to the other end. The STILLEN exhaust is just loud enough to remind you that you have a fantastic motor under the hood without ever being obnoxious. It's the "distinguished gentleman's" aftermarket exhaust for those of us with a heavy right foot and a finely tuned ear for performance.

INSTALLATION & FITMENT: Fitment is good and the kit comes with all the gaskets, nuts, bolts, and U-clamps you will need. Installation was very straight forward, no surprises. Obviously a lot of thought went into the design as you even re-use the OEM rubber dampers that bolt onto the exhaust to lessen NVH. NOTE: If you have not installed an exhaust with U-bolts before, make sure you align your mufflers exactly the way you want them before you clamp down the nuts. Once you clamp them down it is possible to deform the exhaust slightly which will make it difficult to re-align the mufflers without a torch. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I noticed that one of my mufflers is ever so slightly lower than the other. (Most people would probably never notice) I plan to rectify this with some heat on one of the exhaust hangers when I install the free flow cats.

NVH: The STILLEN exhaust is perfect for a daily driver/occasional track car. It is almost silent at low rpms but really comes to life under throttle and sounds great at WOT. Not raspy at all. It is just loud enough to remind you that the VQ37 is a great motor. I did not notice any drone on the highway either. Overall, I would say it is louder than stock, but definitely on the quiet side for aftermarket exhausts. Not obnoxious at any rpm.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 10-03-2015 at 11:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
bjmsam (03-23-2024), blnewt (09-19-2015), Ramondo (10-08-2021)
Old 11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Timdill969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy w/ stillen exhaust

I agree that the tone is quite until you mash the pedal.You will hear more from the motor than the muffler up till 4000 rpm.It doesn't come to life until 5k+rpm.My complaint is the fitment.The first pipe you install is the right behind the cat's.I have know idea why the would make the right pipe/flange a clamp on.The pipe would go right in w/o no problem if they just made it one.I than added the second which had the baffles and pretty much went over the axle.Than again they had more clamping that was unnecessary on the muffler.I got it all lined up and started to tighten from the front back.The first problem was the 2 flanges that bolted to the cat's.They seem to be forced/pulled upward when I tightened all the way.I didn't think it was to big of deal till I started to tighten the next.The next main flange made it pull downward so much that I was worried that it was too much pressure on the head pipes.I had to delete the little cross bar under the shaft tunnel.The pipe was directed almost 3/4 under it.The rest went on perfectly except not liking the multiple pieces.I got it all tight-ready for for a test run and noticed a vibration when I sat in the car just running it to 3k-4K just to hear it.I wonder if it was because it didn't have any type of flex tube etc.The first drive was what I expected.It was really quite until I stomped it hard. The vibration was noticed from 2500 up.I have know idea what to do.I purchased the stillen exhaust from a local shop.I did spend the extra money because it was stillen(1500.).I know I'm going to get"did you install it right" N "You should of had a quified installer do it" and so on.I've been doing this since before thay were born.I remember buying stillen parts for my 91 300Z.I have kids older that their "TEC".I just installed it on turkey day('15).I'll have to call them on Monday and see what they say.Lets see what kind of shop they are.I only spent$3 k on parts(3rd gen-oil cooler-exhaust).We will see??????
Old 11-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Timdill969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will post more about stillen 3rd gen cold air and their oil cooler when I install them
Old 11-30-2015, 10:28 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Timdill969
I agree that the tone is quite until you mash the pedal.You will hear more from the motor than the muffler up till 4000 rpm.It doesn't come to life until 5k+rpm.My complaint is the fitment.The first pipe you install is the right behind the cat's.I have know idea why the would make the right pipe/flange a clamp on.The pipe would go right in w/o no problem if they just made it one.I than added the second which had the baffles and pretty much went over the axle.Than again they had more clamping that was unnecessary on the muffler.I got it all lined up and started to tighten from the front back.The first problem was the 2 flanges that bolted to the cat's.They seem to be forced/pulled upward when I tightened all the way.I didn't think it was to big of deal till I started to tighten the next.The next main flange made it pull downward so much that I was worried that it was too much pressure on the head pipes.I had to delete the little cross bar under the shaft tunnel.The pipe was directed almost 3/4 under it.The rest went on perfectly except not liking the multiple pieces.I got it all tight-ready for for a test run and noticed a vibration when I sat in the car just running it to 3k-4K just to hear it.I wonder if it was because it didn't have any type of flex tube etc.The first drive was what I expected.It was really quite until I stomped it hard. The vibration was noticed from 2500 up.I have know idea what to do.I purchased the stillen exhaust from a local shop.I did spend the extra money because it was stillen(1500.).I know I'm going to get"did you install it right" N "You should of had a quified installer do it" and so on.I've been doing this since before thay were born.I remember buying stillen parts for my 91 300Z.I have kids older that their "TEC".I just installed it on turkey day('15).I'll have to call them on Monday and see what they say.Lets see what kind of shop they are.I only spent$3 k on parts(3rd gen-oil cooler-exhaust).We will see??????
I have worked with Stillen parts for about 13 years so I am pretty familiar with their parts and service. Compared to all of the other aftermarket companies and shops I have worked with over the years, I would say Stillen is in the top along with AMS and Cobb who I used a lot when I had multiple Subarus and an Evo.

I am surprised you had an issue with the fitment. I believe the reason Stillen went with U-bolts instead of another gasket was the same reason they claim to produce the most power- lack of restriction/turbulence. No matter how perfectly you think a flange and gasket will meet up, there will still be some edge in the pipe creating turbulence in the air flow.

The only thing you have to be careful of when you install a system like that is to make sure you have the mufflers (and probably the other pipes) lined up exactly the way you want before you clamp them down. I made note of this above that when you clamp them down you will deform the pipes slightly and they will be nearly impossible to reposition differently.

Originally Posted by Timdill969
I will post more about stillen 3rd gen cold air and their oil cooler when I install them
I am curious to hear your review about these parts as I am looking into them as well.
The following users liked this post:
bjmsam (03-23-2024)
Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have worked with Stillen parts for about 13 years so I am pretty familiar with their parts and service. Compared to all of the other aftermarket companies and shops I have worked with over the years, I would say Stillen is in the top along with AMS and Cobb who I used a lot when I had multiple Subarus and an Evo.

I am surprised you had an issue with the fitment. I believe the reason Stillen went with U-bolts instead of another gasket was the same reason they claim to produce the most power- lack of restriction/turbulence. No matter how perfectly you think a flange and gasket will meet up, there will still be some edge in the pipe creating turbulence in the air flow.

The only thing you have to be careful of when you install a system like that is to make sure you have the mufflers (and probably the other pipes) lined up exactly the way you want before you clamp them down. I made note of this above that when you clamp them down you will deform the pipes slightly and they will be nearly impossible to reposition differently.

I am curious to hear your review about these parts as I am looking into them as well.
Like this post ad appreciate the caution ad comment s by others
Do you have a dyno data or equivalent that compares HP before ad after.
Thx
Old 01-30-2016, 11:44 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I don't have easy access to a dyno, but Stillen will have dyno sheets. According to my "butt dyno" I would say the estimated 10-15hp is pretty accurate, but the sound is even better. No complaints.

Easy install with good fitment and good quality. I really like the fact that it is quiet when you want it to be so you do not attract the wrong attention (ie. Cops), but plenty loud under throttle so you can hear the engine sing a bit.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:25 PM
rhythm0626
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At low rpm no loud sound at all? I want it to sound like a coupe. Wonder which one I should go with Ark or Stillen.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

A stock coupe is still pretty quiet. Any aftermarket exhaust should be louder than a stock coupe at all rpms. I like the Stillen exhaust because you can keep it "relatively" quiet when you need to. I have had other exhaust systems that are loud all the time, or buzzy, or drone at highway speeds. None of those problems with this exhaust. Go on Stillen's website or youtube if you want to hear some sound clips.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:00 PM
rhythm0626
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A stock coupe is still pretty quiet. Any aftermarket exhaust should be louder than a stock coupe at all rpms. I like the Stillen exhaust because you can keep it "relatively" quiet when you need to. I have had other exhaust systems that are loud all the time, or buzzy, or drone at highway speeds. None of those problems with this exhaust. Go on Stillen's website or youtube if you want to hear some sound clips.
I got Tanabe on my Sedan and I was so dissappointed by the way it sounds. It's just too quite. You think Stillen is louder than the way a coupe does? I personally like the way the coupe sounds when it's at low rpm. When you are driving slowly just around -3k rpm, I'd like to hear some kind of roar? sound. I'm not looking for something craziliy loud but it has to sound something different than sedan. Stock sedan is just silent.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yes significantly louder than stock, but in a good way as it is not overwhelming. At idle it has a nice low rumble and gets louder from there. Check out some sound clips online to see if you like it.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have easy access to a dyno, but Stillen will have dyno sheets. According to my "butt dyno" I would say the estimated 10-15hp is pretty accurate, but the sound is even better. No complaints.

Easy install with good fitment and good quality. I really like the fact that it is quiet when you want it to be so you do not attract the wrong attention (ie. Cops), but plenty loud under throttle so you can hear the engine sing a bit.
Thank you for you prompt reply. Two questions:
1-Did you have to make adjustments to chips, etc?
2- did you consider high flow intake?
Again, thx
Old 01-30-2016, 07:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sig6MT
Thank you for you prompt reply. Two questions:
1-Did you have to make adjustments to chips, etc?
2- did you consider high flow intake?
Again, thx
Not really necessary to re-tune the car with just an exhaust. I will wait to do that after I have made other upgrades.

Yes the Stillen gen 3 intake is on the list of things to do, but there are more important things to do first.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Track day update: If you plan to track your car or later take any pipes apart with this exhaust (or probably any exhaust) I highly recommend more durable full metal gaskets (non-perforated).

The heat of a few track days was enough to deteriorate the gaskets so that the midpipe/y-pipe gasket started leaking after we split the pipe to install some rear differential bushings. Wow, was the car ever loud after that. I picked up a metal gasket from Z1 motorsports and a couple for between the y-pipe and cats if those ever start leaking. Hopefully, these gaskets will hold up a bit better.

The following users liked this post:
bjmsam (03-23-2024)