Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Z1 HFC Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Trust me.... its very prominent in person.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Seems like a vibration noise, not rasp. It's there though.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

After 2 months I have to say that I regret getting the Z1 HFC's. Today I'm finally installing the O2 extender bungs on my cats because my car was throwing codes. The bungs provided only fit manual vehicles and Z1 does not provide anything for the automatics as part of the cost to the HFC's. I now have to pay $80 to get someone to disconnect the cats from the headers, lower the exhaust to install the extenders. On top of that, the new extenders were $60 so if you figure the Berks and FIHFC are roughly $100 - 150 more you end up paying the same price. If I had to do it again I would go for the FIRHFC's.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
After 2 months I have to say that I regret getting the Z1 HFC's. Today I'm finally installing the O2 extender bungs on my cats because my car was throwing codes. The bungs provided only fit manual vehicles and Z1 does not provide anything for the automatics as part of the cost to the HFC's. I now have to pay $80 to get someone to disconnect the cats from the headers, lower the exhaust to install the extenders. On top of that, the new extenders were $60 so if you figure the Berks and FIHFC are roughly $100 - 150 more you end up paying the same price. If I had to do it again I would go for the FIRHFC's.
That's disappointing. Although it sounds like your regrets are about the O2 sensor connections, and not the cats themselves. So if you had pursued a solution for that up front... right?

If someone with a 6MT is reading this thread, their take-away is to install the extenders that comes with the cats, and enjoy the money saved over more expensive brands.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Any set of cats CAN throw a code I have Z1's and had them for months ZERO issues, I didn't have to use any extra extenders. Why drop the cats? I ebay 90 deg angle senor doesn't require removing anything other than the sensor. Did the shop doing the install use an impact on the getting the cats on and off? Might have damaged the O2 senor itself.. BTW I had Berks and the car sat at the dealer for 8 months with a drivability issue, Put stock cats back on and the car was fine. Any HFC's have the possibility to throw codes.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's disappointing. Although it sounds like your regrets are about the O2 sensor connections, and not the cats themselves. So if you had pursued a solution for that up front... right?

If someone with a 6MT is reading this thread, their take-away is to install the extenders that comes with the cats, and enjoy the money saved over more expensive brands.

Well didnt realize there was an issue with the O2 Bungs until after the cats were installed. There was nothing to say they were needed not to throw codes, or that the provided bungs were only good for a manual.

Secondly, the Rasp is horrendous. From my understanding every cat provides rasp but I find it hard to beleive they can all be as bad as the Z1 sounds. Power was the first concern when buying the cats but hearing that horrible sound every time you thump on the throttle creates major buyers remorse. Plus, once again, the savings are lost if you have to pay $60 for extended bungs (automatics only).
Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Any set of cats CAN throw a code I have Z1's and had them for months ZERO issues, I didn't have to use any extra extenders. Why drop the cats? I ebay 90 deg angle senor doesn't require removing anything other than the sensor. Did the shop doing the install use an impact on the getting the cats on and off? Might have damaged the O2 senor itself.. BTW I had Berks and the car sat at the dealer for 8 months with a drivability issue, Put stock cats back on and the car was fine. Any HFC's have the possibility to throw codes.
Z1 sent me weld in bungs. Than I sent those back and they sent me the screw in type but it was a solid body. I was worried about driving the car while throwing codes and possibly creating an issue with the motor so I basically paid the extra $80 to get them in ASAP for peace of mind. I saw the type you were talking about and thought that was what they were sending me but alas that wasn't the case.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:26 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Well didnt realize there was an issue with the O2 Bungs until after the cats were installed. There was nothing to say they were needed not to throw codes, or that the provided bungs were only good for a manual.

Secondly, the Rasp is horrendous. From my understanding every cat provides rasp but I find it hard to beleive they can all be as bad as the Z1 sounds. Power was the first concern when buying the cats but hearing that horrible sound every time you thump on the throttle creates major buyers remorse. Plus, once again, the savings are lost if you have to pay $60 for extended bungs (automatics only).
I have rasp on hard acceleration with my FI cats as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 PM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Are they resonated or non-resonated?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
From any RPM? Mine rasp from 1.5k up to red line.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:04 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

From any RPM? Mine rasp from 1.5k up to red line.
Woah, now that's bad. Mine rasp for about 2k rpms and then let up.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:13 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Yeah........no matter what part of the powerband I'm in.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:57 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Yeah........no matter what part of the powerband I'm in.
Do you mean it rasps from those rpms anytime you get on it or do you mean it rasps continuously as you are on it from those rpms?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
HFC's and stock catback = Rasp :/ No. The rasp is in the stock Y pipe design I thougt. I have almost zero rasp( very very light )
Old 01-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Magowin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow maybe it's different on Coupes because I don't hear any rattle or hiss with mine I just installed Sat.

Quick Reply: Z1 HFC Review