Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Kinetix HFC's Install and review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Not me, man. My RHFC's are already on order, no group buy. If you want to start up a GB, just ask 1cleanG and get the ball rolling. He needs 5 resonated cat orders, for either the coupe or the sedan (doesn't matter which, even though they are different), and collected from both the G37 or 370Z community. So it should be pretty easy to shake the tree.

OP, your Tanabe exhaust... Is that the Medallion axel-back with OEM mid pipes, or a full aftermarket CBE?
It is the Tanabe axle-backs with OEM mid pipes and the Kinetix HFC's. I changed it in my signature to be more specific after your question.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
It is the Tanabe axle-backs with OEM mid pipes and the Kinetix HFC's. I changed it in my signature to be more specific after your question.
Based on what I've been reading here over the last few years, I suspect your welcome lack of rasp has something to do with your OEM mid-pipes.

Good looking sig line.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by aktif8
I did them myself - they're totally doable as a diy. Iirc 180 charged about 400 bucks for them - nuts.
It really is a simple DIY, a bit time consuming but not hard at all, and the results are very worth the amount of time spent. Here's my DIY and there's a couple other DIY links in my thread for coupes.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
Sorry Justin for the thread detour, I won't post any more about it here
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by blnewt
It really is a simple DIY, a bit time consuming but not hard at all, and the results are very worth the amount of time spent. Here's my DIY and there's a couple other DIY links in my thread for coupes.
No problem at all, the DIY thread I used was originally posted by GoFightNguyen.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:46 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
"midnight" (as 180 dubbed them,) is a little different - it entails cutting open the tails from the back (you can't bake them,) and painting the internal chrome reflector black. The net result looks just like the continental gt supersports (and doesn't affect the light output at all [not that the gtr does either.]) I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
"midnight" (as 180 dubbed them,) is a little different - it entails cutting open the tails from the back (you can't bake them,) and painting the internal chrome reflector black. The net result looks just like the continental gt supersports (and doesn't affect the light output at all [not that the gtr does either.]) I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
My bad, that's the style that gives you the dark cherry red shading, that's a nice look for sure.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
180 doesn't offer them any more since they're "too much work."

I did them myself - they're totally doable as a diy. Iirc 180 charged about 400 bucks for them - nuts.

When we do our NJ meet - after I get that steering wheel on - I'll tell you more about how to do it!
what the efff??? they don't make them anymore? :/ the sickest looking tails for Gs IMO... but $400 is definitely nuts... yeah if you have done yours yourself, just might as well help out with that mod since you now have some experience I wouldn't wanna touch neither headlights or taillights by myself , not too confident trying to customize these now you make me want to get them midnight tails done !!!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
what the efff??? they don't make them anymore? :/ the sickest looking tails for Gs IMO... but $400 is definitely nuts... yeah if you have done yours yourself, just might as well help out with that mod since you now have some experience I wouldn't wanna touch neither headlights or taillights by myself , not too confident trying to customize these now you make me want to get them midnight tails done !!!
No kidding. If ScuderiaFan wouldn't have came along I wouldn't have these tails. I now want some custom painted headlights, but have not the hair on my ***** to try to "bake them apart". Someone will part out eventually.... I'll be waiting in the shadows for them.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM
aktif8

No kidding. If ScuderiaFan wouldn't have came along I wouldn't have these tails. I now want some custom painted headlights, but have not the hair on my ***** to try to "bake them apart". Someone will part out eventually.... I'll be waiting in the shadows for them.

It's seriously easy. Not even remotely the hardest diy I've done (the headlights, I mean. The tails were a Pita.) If you can work a screwdriver, you can do it. Nothing to be afraid of! Unless you fall asleep withhe headlights in the oven, you won't hurt them.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

It's seriously easy. Not even remotely the hardest diy I've done (the headlights, I mean. The tails were a Pita.) If you can work a screwdriver, you can do it. Nothing to be afraid of! Unless you fall asleep withhe headlights in the oven, you won't hurt them.
LOL Okay, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:03 PM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
This thread is great. Awesome write up, tons of info, and goddamn does your car sound good!

Definitely - especially if you have an intake as well - get tuned. Also consider a Y pipe. I just got Uprev (Stillen gen 3, FI rhfcs, and top speed cat back,) and it definitely makes a significant difference in drivability. Also, my car was definitely running very lean, and the tune addressed that.
What exactly do you mean when you say a difference in drivability? I've been considering getting a tune after I install the HFCs (and buy) them, but I haven't looked too much into it. Uprev seems to be the way to go?
warped ideas (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
car sounds as good as it looks
Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by samuel1021
This thread is great. Awesome write up, tons of info, and goddamn does your car sound good!

What exactly do you mean when you say a difference in drivability? I've been considering getting a tune after I install the HFCs (and buy) them, but I haven't looked too much into it. Uprev seems to be the way to go?
Uprev is predominantly what's been used for tuning these cars once all the mods are installed.Another brand of tune is Ecutech but it doesn't have the different modes to choose from. I'm going to go with the Uprev due to all the good posts I've read on it. My car hasn't changed really after putting in all the mods. Drivability I believe is referring to does the car feel different, Does it feel like something isn't right. In that case, NO! The tune will just optimize all the added parts, giving you the most banging for your buck.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:12 PM
aktif8

Drivability I believe is referring to does the car feel different, Does it feel like something isn't right. In that case, NO! The tune will just optimize all the added parts, giving you the most banging for your buck.

sorry, I had to laugh at that one. My wife barely tolerates the car modding..if I had told her Uprev would have gotten me "banging" for the buck, pretty sure I would have been sleeping in the car

Drivability - no implication that something was "wrong" after my I/HFC/E mods, but the car was definitely running very lean. I primarily meant that area under the curve (what you use every day, rather than peak dyno queen #s!) as well as responsiveness were significantly improved.

Notwithstanding anything else, the key changes with uprev are fixing the lean afr (more fuel with breather mods = safer, and more power,) and removing the throttle restrictions, and these sum out to better everyday responsiveness / driveability.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Thanks, I've been trying to do research throughout the afternoon on Uprev vs. Ecutech. I'm leaning towards the Uprev pretty heavily.

I did notice a lack of response once the intakes went on. It's still new to me but I feel like the car has lost a little more since the HFC's install. Hence, the upcoming tune.

Quick Reply: Kinetix HFC's Install and review!